Turnovers as a PG vs a SG Topic

I'm trying to better understand turnovers and why the occur, and am looking at a spreadsheet for my D1 team which tracks turnovers per minute played.  Not surprisingly my PG and backup PG lead the way with the highest rates (0.1 and 0.09 TO/min respectively), which I guess can be expected due to the nature of the position.  My starting SG (0.075 TO/min) and SF (0.077 TO/min) have lower turnover rates, despite lower BH/P ratings.

I guess my question is, how much higher turnover rate do you tolerate at the PG position, just due to the nature of the beast?  My starting PG averaged 2.5 TO/Game this season, which seemed pretty reasonable to be.  What would this translate to if the player were started at SG instead of PG?
12/12/2013 4:18 PM
I like the natural PG, with excellent passing, ball handling skills and speed. I've noticed when I set my PG distro to 0, they tend to get much fewer turnovers. However, you have an excellent scoring PG with an excellent field goal percentage for a perimeter player. When a PG plays the role of ball handler, passer and shooter, the turnovers are going to be high. Also, his BH/pass skills are well below average for a D-1 PG. Now that I'm looking at it again, I'm actually surprised his TO rate isn't higher. Having a high IQ is definitely helping.

Also, I've noticed you have your SF playing PG, not sure if the position penalty is still in effect.

12/12/2013 6:01 PM (edited)
Do you pgs shoot? Turnovers are created by fga's.
12/12/2013 6:46 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/12/2013 6:46:00 PM (view original):
Yeah about 9 shots per game.  I never thought about more FGA causing more TO's, but that makes sense.

Is it true that playing your best 3 point shooter at SG will help their shooting?  With the logic being that more plays are set up and run for a SG than a PG?

12/12/2013 8:33 PM
I think that there are more turnovers at PG independently of shots as well.  Turnovers are something like:  

TO = a*FGA + b

And at least one of "a" or "b" (if not both) is higher for PG and slightly lower for each position up through C.  
12/13/2013 12:00 AM
ThAt sounds about right. I think there are two times in the event tree that can yield a turnover. The first is early, something like "do they turn the ball over or take a shot", I think that is team based. The second is after a specific player has been chosen to take the shot. Turnover has to be in that outcome list as well.
12/13/2013 4:57 AM
Posted by clouseb on 12/12/2013 8:33:00 PM (view original):
Yeah about 9 shots per game.  I never thought about more FGA causing more TO's, but that makes sense.

Is it true that playing your best 3 point shooter at SG will help their shooting?  With the logic being that more plays are set up and run for a SG than a PG?

No.
12/13/2013 4:57 AM
Turnovers as a PG vs a SG Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.