Will this senior declare for draft if redshirted? Topic

Hello all,

I'm strongly considering redshirting this guy even though I know his WE will certainly drop to 1.  My question is:  has anyone seen a player declare "early" for the draft before entering their RS senior season?  Or is there something that would prevent a player like mine from doing so, even though he is NBA draft-quality?   

I appreciate any help!  Thanks.

P.S.  I know this is pretty cheap... ;) 
1/10/2014 5:00 PM
well, he could always transfer.....
1/10/2014 5:12 PM
From the forum search I did, the consensus is that a player will not transfer after being redshirted...no matter what. 

However, there was no consensus about whether he'd declare for the draft...
1/10/2014 5:21 PM
There is a 0% chance he will transfer.  There is a significant chance he will declare.  I'm actually surprised he didn't declare --- the constant early entries is why you are now coaching Providence, and I am not, lol.
1/14/2014 11:20 AM
Haha...yeah early entries can wear you down.  We'll see how long I last at Providence when the early entries start piling up.  

I also was surprised Hamilton didn't declare already.  I guess I got lucky.  He was named a 3rd team preseason All-American this season, despite the redshirt.  You think I'm living a pipe dream to hope he returns next season?  My team will be pretty terrible with Hamilton redshirting, and probably just bad with him.  I'm wondering if it's worth keeping the redshirt on for the small chance he returns...   
1/14/2014 1:55 PM
He stayed! 

So either I just got lucky he didn't declare or there is some sort of loophole that prevents players from declaring immediately after their redshirt season.  Because Hamilton does seem to be good enough for the draft...right?

2/4/2014 1:17 PM
Posted by pepwaves007 on 2/4/2014 1:17:00 PM (view original):
He stayed! 

So either I just got lucky he didn't declare or there is some sort of loophole that prevents players from declaring immediately after their redshirt season.  Because Hamilton does seem to be good enough for the draft...right?

I'm not that surprised he didn't, I suspect the EE evaluation would look at his 61 PER and think that's not good enough for a SG to leave early. If he was listed as a SF or a PG I think he would have very likely been an EE.
2/4/2014 2:35 PM
  • Improved the logic to rank players for the NBA draft to provide better balance between the 5 positions. Also some players may be evaluated for a different position than their listed one if their ratings indicate a different natural position

According to the release note above though, the AI should be able to evaluate him for a different position.  He seems to be more of a SF than SG, or perhaps even a PG like you said.  Though his speed is too low most likely. 
2/4/2014 2:57 PM
Posted by pepwaves007 on 2/4/2014 2:57:00 PM (view original):
  • Improved the logic to rank players for the NBA draft to provide better balance between the 5 positions. Also some players may be evaluated for a different position than their listed one if their ratings indicate a different natural position

According to the release note above though, the AI should be able to evaluate him for a different position.  He seems to be more of a SF than SG, or perhaps even a PG like you said.  Though his speed is too low most likely. 
"should" and "may" are very different things.
2/4/2014 3:30 PM
I know it says that some players may be evaluated at a position different than their listed on, but in my experience it doesn't happen that much.

As the side note, while I agree SF is his best position, I would have no problem playing him at PG, even with SPD in the upper 70s. It gives another way to play matchups, and can provide a major bonus on the boards having a PG who can rebound like that.
2/4/2014 3:37 PM
My opinion of that change was that the EE logic essentially stayed the same, but they may get repositioned in the draft. So this guy would be looked at as a SG when determining his EE candidacy but then maybe a SF or PG when judging his draft position.
2/4/2014 3:41 PM
Due to your experience and success, I definitely defer to you guys and your interpretation.  It is curious that seble would include "may" in that statement.  I wonder how often the "may" actually happens. 

Kmason- Your reading of that release note makes a lot of sense, especially in this situation.  Regardless, I'm happy the logic is the way it is if it's responsible for Hamilton staying! 

acn- I definitely agree with you.  I alternated him frequently between SG and PG last season when my depth was very thin.  I plan to do the same next season, but maybe I'll throw him at SF as well.   
2/4/2014 4:16 PM
Will this senior declare for draft if redshirted? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.