Frauds try to be psychologists, fail miserably Topic

Can I talk about my SAT scores?  Or GRE, if I can remember them?
2/20/2014 1:29 PM
My brother in law is in MENSA.   He plays guitar for a Rock and Roll band.

The only thing I can brag about was setting the curve on my 10th Grade History final.   I did beat Lawrence Choi though.

2/20/2014 1:43 PM
The bald guy in this clip has a really high IQ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0
2/20/2014 2:02 PM
30 second advertisement before video = no.
2/20/2014 3:03 PM
My thought is, I know a lot of 'intelligent fools'. People who are smart enough to convince themselves that they are experts at things they don't know nearly as well as they think they do. They have expertise a mile wide and half an inch deep. It's the same thing that leads movie stars to believe they know something about world affairs because they are talented at reading someone else's lines. I don't care if you are the love child of Marilyn vos savant and Stephen Hawking. You can still be just smart enough to be dumb.
2/20/2014 8:00 PM
Marilyn vos Savant is married to the guy that invented the artificial heart. So you could have just gone with that, though sadly for humanity, I don't think that had a chance of happening by the time they got married, and certainly doesn't now.

If I need a problem solved, I'll take Marilyn vos Savant on my team over Johnny IQ 100 Sixpack, intelligent fool or not.
2/20/2014 11:27 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/20/2014 11:27:00 PM (view original):
Marilyn vos Savant is married to the guy that invented the artificial heart. So you could have just gone with that, though sadly for humanity, I don't think that had a chance of happening by the time they got married, and certainly doesn't now.

If I need a problem solved, I'll take Marilyn vos Savant on my team over Johnny IQ 100 Sixpack, intelligent fool or not.
Then, depending on the nature of the problem, you would be a fool.

Specific expertise beats general intelligence.
2/20/2014 11:44 PM
That doesn't really make sense. If I don't know how know to do something, but I know that and I know how to get someone else to do it, that's not a problem.

If I have a *problem* and i don't know how to solve it even to get to a point where I can get someone else to help eliminate whatever the need was from which it arose, it's highly unlikely that someone of mediocre intelligence is going to be able to tell me something I didn't already consider, whereas Marilyn vos Savant almost certainly would.
2/21/2014 12:08 AM
Posted by arssanguinus on 2/20/2014 8:00:00 PM (view original):
My thought is, I know a lot of 'intelligent fools'. People who are smart enough to convince themselves that they are experts at things they don't know nearly as well as they think they do. They have expertise a mile wide and half an inch deep. It's the same thing that leads movie stars to believe they know something about world affairs because they are talented at reading someone else's lines. I don't care if you are the love child of Marilyn vos savant and Stephen Hawking. You can still be just smart enough to be dumb.
yes... in short, there are many forms of intelligence, and IQ tests don't even remotely attempt to measure them all. this is common knowledge, and another reason intelligent people do not put too much stock into IQ scores, especially with respect to actually establishing the intelligence (or lack there of) of an individual, given far more compelling evidence... such as their success (or lack there of) in various pursuits...
2/21/2014 2:20 AM
so IQ does matter?
2/21/2014 5:52 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/21/2014 12:09:00 AM (view original):
That doesn't really make sense. If I don't know how know to do something, but I know that and I know how to get someone else to do it, that's not a problem.

If I have a *problem* and i don't know how to solve it even to get to a point where I can get someone else to help eliminate whatever the need was from which it arose, it's highly unlikely that someone of mediocre intelligence is going to be able to tell me something I didn't already consider, whereas Marilyn vos Savant almost certainly would.
An experienced car mechanic of mediocre intelligence is almost certainly going to be able to tell you something about your car you didn't consider, where the massively intelligent anthropology professor might be as lost as a newborn babe. There are very few problems where an expert in a field won't be better at solving a problem in my field than someone who is just smart but not trained.

Specific expertise trumps general intelligence. It is an extremely simple concept.
2/21/2014 5:58 AM
The car mechanic is exactly what I had in mind when I made the "not really a problem" statement. That's not a problem-solving scenario. I already know how to deal with that occurrence.

Usually it's not that the mechanic can tell you something about your car that you didn't consider, but that he has the ability to fix it -- he's invested in the tools, equipment, time and training. I can't think of actually any time when my car had trouble that I didn't have a pretty good idea of what was wrong with it, and I don't even like cars at all. 

I would agree with gillispie that IQ scores aren't that important, but that doesn't make them value-free. I've taken other tests that aren't as easily summarized. But someone else made intelligence an issue and IQ is still a pretty decent proxy for that for a casual conversation. I reject the notion though that "success in various pursuits" (however one chooses to decide that) indicates intelligence. It's common in the world for people of average or even below average intelligence to be among the elite...because they were born there. Along the same line, without doubt there were geniuses in the Middle Ages that spent their lives as underutilized serfs. Does their lack of social standing imply that they are less intelligent? That's what the royals and the Church would have had you believe.
2/21/2014 2:19 PM
There are lots of exceptionally intelligent people who would have zero idea what is wrong with a car other than noting that it will not go.

Another example, there are plenty of exceptionally intelligent people who could not cook much of anything and certainly not anything complex.  Reasoning from first principles will not lead one to deduce how to prepare a complex dish - it will not even enable one to follow a recipe since much of a recipe assumes knowledge of the craft of cooking

But, I look forward to a contest in which folks who have claimed intelligence throw down their IQ test results, ACTs, SATs, SAT IIs, APs, IBs, GMATs, LSATs, MCATs and other fabulous tokens of intellect
2/21/2014 2:48 PM
Posted by mamxet on 2/21/2014 2:48:00 PM (view original):
There are lots of exceptionally intelligent people who would have zero idea what is wrong with a car other than noting that it will not go.

Another example, there are plenty of exceptionally intelligent people who could not cook much of anything and certainly not anything complex.  Reasoning from first principles will not lead one to deduce how to prepare a complex dish - it will not even enable one to follow a recipe since much of a recipe assumes knowledge of the craft of cooking

But, I look forward to a contest in which folks who have claimed intelligence throw down their IQ test results, ACTs, SATs, SAT IIs, APs, IBs, GMATs, LSATs, MCATs and other fabulous tokens of intellect
Hahah. The first sentence made me giggle. I'm a mechanical engineer who could tell you more than enough about how Internal Combustion engines work. All the formulas, efficiencies, and theory. Further, I work for a Forklift manufacturing company as a design engineer. If I walk outside and my car didn't start, I'd be EFFED. 
2/21/2014 2:58 PM
I made a 7 on my IB Spanish exam.  Boom.
2/21/2014 3:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...20 Next ▸
Frauds try to be psychologists, fail miserably Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.