What are some of your HD bad habits Topic

Definitely with bbunch on forgetting to recruit scorers sometimes. 
2/19/2014 11:16 PM
Recruiting with no balance in mind.  Recently I've had a team with a great, deep backcourt but no real bigs to help them.  Also recently had a team with a great frontcourt, but a shallow, so-so backcourt that couldn't get them the ball or keep defenses honest by providing an outside scoring threat.  I've also taken the odd guy that doesn't fit anywhere, usually because I fall in love with his athleticism.  So now I've got a SF with a 95ATH and 85DEF, but a 20 in speed, 30s in per/lp/bh,pas, and 15 rebounding.  But dang he looks good during warm-ups.
And like rednu mentioned previously, have had teams that couldn't pass and it's horrible.

2/20/2014 12:49 AM
Recruiting guys with high potential and low work ethic. It never pans out.
2/20/2014 1:06 AM
I have a very bad habit of loving isolated schools - Hawaii DI and DII, Alaska, Grand Canyon DII, Colorado DIII and Palm Beach Atlantic DIII are the ones I gravitate to the most. 

Its great to have a massive recruiting advantage locally but then I do a poor job of looking long distance to fill any remaining needs because I'm too taken with the player 60 miles away...probably missing out on a late recruit just sitting there thousands of miles away that's actually better than the guy I signed in my own back yard.
2/20/2014 1:19 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 2/20/2014 1:21:00 AM (view original):
I have a very bad habit of loving isolated schools - Hawaii DI and DII, Alaska, Grand Canyon DII, Colorado DIII and Palm Beach Atlantic DIII are the ones I gravitate to the most. 

Its great to have a massive recruiting advantage locally but then I do a poor job of looking long distance to fill any remaining needs because I'm too taken with the player 60 miles away...probably missing out on a late recruit just sitting there thousands of miles away that's actually better than the guy I signed in my own back yard.
To be fair, Colorado has a lot of DII schools nearby, so it's a drop down paradise.

My bad habit- too much study hall.  Everytime I try to loosen up, some idot goes and gets ineligible on me, and I go back to telling the kids they aren't allowed in the gym until they study.

2/20/2014 10:16 AM
Sticking with the same recruiting parameters for about 3 years now.  Constantly gets me in the tourney, but nothing better.  
2/20/2014 11:37 AM
Yeah, I would definitely say taking Colorado and Palm Beach are NOT "bad habits" at D3...arguably they might be the two best D3 schools in the game to have (I think Colorado is a clear No. 1 to most...there might be some argument over PBA as No. 2). If you want the fun of being isolated at D3, I suggest Maine-Presque Isle where you have no D2 schools in state, only moose, ocean and unpopulated Canada in your 100-mile circle and 150ish schools in the northeastern US that will all have a distance advantage on you for every decent recruit you ever wish to grab.
2/20/2014 11:43 AM
I tend to try to be constructive in the forums even when a poster obviously has no interest in real discussion or information
2/20/2014 11:46 AM
D 3 Colorado is only a drop down haven if the RMAC isn't full of D2 Colorado coaches gleefully slitting each other's throats to pick over all the decent local recruits...
2/20/2014 11:54 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 2/20/2014 11:46:00 AM (view original):
I tend to try to be constructive in the forums even when a poster obviously has no interest in real discussion or information
we have a winner
2/20/2014 11:54 AM
Posted by rednu on 2/20/2014 11:43:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, I would definitely say taking Colorado and Palm Beach are NOT "bad habits" at D3...arguably they might be the two best D3 schools in the game to have (I think Colorado is a clear No. 1 to most...there might be some argument over PBA as No. 2). If you want the fun of being isolated at D3, I suggest Maine-Presque Isle where you have no D2 schools in state, only moose, ocean and unpopulated Canada in your 100-mile circle and 150ish schools in the northeastern US that will all have a distance advantage on you for every decent recruit you ever wish to grab.
UMPI is easily the most remote school in HD...I coached them in Allen where the NAC was a monster conference for 20 or so seasons...I left for another NAC school coz it really was a PITA to recruit from (even with the mega recruiting cash the NAC generated)
2/20/2014 11:56 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 2/20/2014 11:56:00 AM (view original):
UMPI is easily the most remote school in HD...I coached them in Allen where the NAC was a monster conference for 20 or so seasons...I left for another NAC school coz it really was a PITA to recruit from (even with the mega recruiting cash the NAC generated)
another bad one is Bemidji St, in northern Minnesota. It's nearer Fargo, ND than to Minneapolis
2/20/2014 12:07 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 2/20/2014 11:56:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, UMPI was my first-ever HD team...loved my conference mates, but recruiting...not so much.

I tried Sul Ross St. once as well, thinking that being the only D3 school really in western Texas might carry some geographic advantages in a high-recruit state. Then I discovered that Texas really doesn't generate any recruits in the western half of the state. If the ASC isn't packed and/or you have better prestige than most of them, you can do well just by staying in-state. Otherwise, you've got an uphill battle for in-state kids and New Mexico's recruits aren't close enough to be cheap or plentiful enough to assure consistent quality.
2/20/2014 12:28 PM
The bad habit was relying too much on local talent and not searching for someone better at distance...not in coaching at Colorado DIII.  The only school better (IMHO) in the entire game than an A+ Colorado DIII is an A+ Colorado DI...the definition of pocket prestige.
2/20/2014 4:00 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 2/20/2014 4:01:00 PM (view original):
The bad habit was relying too much on local talent and not searching for someone better at distance...not in coaching at Colorado DIII.  The only school better (IMHO) in the entire game than an A+ Colorado DIII is an A+ Colorado DI...the definition of pocket prestige.
Better depending on circumstances. I'm in my 4th season at Colorado (D3) and have actually found it pretty difficult to recruit from. The biggest problem is that RMAC schools take every player worth a damn on my D2 list. 
2/20/2014 4:09 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
What are some of your HD bad habits Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.