D1 coach needs help in DIII Topic

Hey, took over a DIII school for p6453 in knight.He got sick and asked for a hand.I coach a damn good DI team in smith, but find myself struggling here.Need some DIII recruiting advice.Have no prob with 3 other A+ schools within 300 miles of me in DI.but have no idea how to aproach DIII recruiting. Have a A- prestige and am only offered pretty crappy recuits.Do they get better in the later stages?Noticed most of the player on the team are from a good distance away.Wait till the close of recruiting for dropdowns or get the best available right away?Want to keep the team strong till his return.
2/24/2014 12:26 AM (edited)
Use the future stars scouting , who's his school in knight? Look for Jucos also your normally can find good juco SF who can do a little bit of everything.
2/24/2014 12:30 AM
Oberlin i see , he's got pretty good  squad. 
2/24/2014 1:06 AM
Bumping this, because I want Paul's team to kick butt the next couple seasons, so that when he comes back, it'll be to a great team!

(Also, I'm trying to "get the hang" of D3 after not playing it for a long time as well, so I'm not much help for you.)
2/24/2014 1:06 AM
Dave, maybe you should think about changing the title of this post to reflect that you need help managing Paul's team, so maybe more people will respond.
2/24/2014 1:11 AM
dave if you need any help let me know 
2/24/2014 1:11 AM
I go about half-local, half-long distance. I never manage the perfect recruiting class year in and year out, but even with a dud or two on my roster, I still managed back-to-back NC's. 

I think the most important thing you can do is find a balance of pure skill and pure ath/def players. Occasionally you'll find one or two amazing players who can actually shoot the ball, possess some other intangibles, and have the athleticism and defense rating to make an impact on both sides of the court, but more often than not you've got to grab at least a couple guys who specialize in defense and a couple more who specialize in offense. Athleticism and speed are huge at the DIII level. They can compensate for lackluster overall skills and provide you with some respectable talent. 

But yeah, most coaches at DIII (especially with A- prestige or higher) go after mid-level DII recruits for pull-downs/drop-downs. I personally try to sign one or two pull-downs, but I usually can find guys with decent ratings and very solid potential at the DIII level. For example if you go under player ratings in DIII and search the highest rated freshman, he's a SF on my team who I signed at the DIII level without having to pull him down. But he's also an example of a player who will likely be a tremendous offensive threat, but never much of a force on defense. 
2/24/2014 9:27 AM
I don't know if there is a trick.  

Recruit the best players you can.

I would prefer to recruit all locally but I recruit nationally when needed.  My NYU team has players from SD, HI,AL, NM and WA all the time.

I very rarely have my whole class signed right away.   The day after signing yields some good bargains reasonably frequently.
2/24/2014 10:16 AM
how strong and tightly packed is the conference? In the NAC in Allen we were all together around Maine but we made a lot of post season cash so we could spread our wings a bit and scout out a bit farther. Generally its better to try to spend a little cash looking for diamonds in the rough vs fighting battles, however there are many winnable battles, so don't completely eschew battling, just be shrewd in picking your battles. 

With D3 teams you will have to piece together players whose strengths offset other players weaknesses since all of your players are going to have weaknesses...I know this is pretty generic advice and maybe you wanted something more specific, but its sort of a hands on situation by situation type experience... don't forget about drop downs and pull downs, and maybe read through aejones' how to win at d3 and d2 thread (i'll bump it)
2/24/2014 10:32 AM
Quick question: So, I've called & sent letters to a recruit.  He accepted a Fr start.  But no visits or AC scouts.  He's considering me, but will he sign if I offer him a scholly, or do I need an in-person visit like in Gridiron D?  Thanks!
2/24/2014 10:39 AM
Posted by dream76 on 2/24/2014 10:39:00 AM (view original):
Quick question: So, I've called & sent letters to a recruit.  He accepted a Fr start.  But no visits or AC scouts.  He's considering me, but will he sign if I offer him a scholly, or do I need an in-person visit like in Gridiron D?  Thanks!
if he's considering only you, he will sign with an offer
2/24/2014 10:50 AM
Reset your expectations. You don't get many complete players at d3, so you have to assemble your complete players in pieces.
2/24/2014 12:02 PM
Thx for the responses guys, yes this is pauls Oberlin team.So far so good 5-0 with them,I guess my biggest concern was if I should wait to see if the recruits get better and to hold back the limited funds I will have.Or secure the best guys available from the get go.If any of you want to chip in and help with pauls team Im sure he would be thankful.
2/24/2014 12:49 PM
From what I can gather, it's a mix of the two. Get some guys you like locked up, but keep some funds in reserve for dropdowns/pulldowns. Also, read the Aejones thread that was bumped to the front page. Super useful for D2/D3 coaching.
2/24/2014 12:52 PM
D1 coach needs help in DIII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.