long overdue...User Polls Topic

Posted by nickguy08 on 5/7/2014 9:45:00 PM (view original):
Hard to say. I usually have a smaller list of players to approach because I look for certain things. I usually wait on scouting trips until I can get
an idea about player responses to contact. By then I am able to narrow my targets. I couldn't image more than two trips per player. My current ratings at my most important ratings give me the information I need. (You know if they are better than what I have)

Don't get me started on ATH. I know I won't have the popular opinion on that either. (it is very important, but I don't hold it in the highest regard.)
I wish ATH was less important. it should be less important. I try to recruit players for whom it's not their primary talent because I think that's just cheap. 
5/7/2014 11:41 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/7/2014 11:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/7/2014 9:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/7/2014 8:56:00 PM (view original):
I'm tempted to try nick's method just to prove you wrong, but this might be the wrong year and place to do it if I do stay around. I can definitely see his way working in certain situations though. Since you're apparently not smart enough to figure out what those are, I'm not going to be the one to give you any ideas because after all why would I want to add to your knowledge when you already know SOOOOOO much more than me.

If I had almost 2500 games and no championships, I think I'd have admitted to myself by then that I'm just not very good, and gone on to do something else. 

I see the Villanova collapse is complete. IRL you'd be so fired right now.

Heck Northwood with its 4 scholarship players has won more games in the last half dozen than you have.

I am a better coach than you are, and it's not close. And with how unwilling to learn from people who try to help you, that state of affairs will never change. I'd bet good money that you never even SNIFF a high-major conference.

As for me, I play this game because I enjoy it. I come to these boards to learn from other coaches, and talk about HD. You apparently come here to act like an arrogant jagoff that already has all the answers. Have fun with that.

Jagoff? Are you from Pittsburgh, too?

Far as I can tell, your main activity on the board comes in responding with a snide remark to pretty much anything I say.

I probably won't ever *sniff* a high-major conference because I won't stay around long enough because of all the problems with this game. This is no longer an opinion which it can be said isn't shared. There's now very open conversation about issues with the game, but I'm sure I'll get no credit for that. That's cool, I'm used to it.

There was always open conversation about the problems with the game. You had nothing to do with that. You're just so friggin egomaniacal you'd take credit for capturing Osama bin Laden if you'd happened to mention at some point that he might be hiding in Pakistan.
5/8/2014 12:53 AM
Well I was in the military when it happened...how do you know I didn't have something to do with it? I could tell you but I'd have to kill you. Or have someone else kill you.
5/8/2014 1:03 AM
At some point, a list needs to be compiled of all the things you claim about yourself.
5/8/2014 1:17 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/7/2014 11:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by nickguy08 on 5/7/2014 9:45:00 PM (view original):
Hard to say. I usually have a smaller list of players to approach because I look for certain things. I usually wait on scouting trips until I can get
an idea about player responses to contact. By then I am able to narrow my targets. I couldn't image more than two trips per player. My current ratings at my most important ratings give me the information I need. (You know if they are better than what I have)

Don't get me started on ATH. I know I won't have the popular opinion on that either. (it is very important, but I don't hold it in the highest regard.)
I wish ATH was less important. it should be less important. I try to recruit players for whom it's not their primary talent because I think that's just cheap. 
..in your vast 3 seasons of experience.......
5/8/2014 8:57 AM
Some of us learn quickly. 
5/8/2014 10:49 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/8/2014 10:49:00 AM (view original):
Some of us learn quickly. 

“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.”  - Frank Zappa

Very few people have learned less about this game in 3 seasons than you.

5/8/2014 11:18 AM
You're talking out your ***. I'd like to see how you would go about supporting such a statement.
5/8/2014 11:55 AM
Etta, it's because a subset of the people you're talking to are experts in the field of HD and you're saying obviously wrong things to them on a regular basis and giving them **** when they try to correct you.  You are in fact being stubbornly closed-minded.

You're a marketing guy, right?  Imagine you and your fellow marketeers are having a conversation about marketing.  A new guy walks up and declares that it shouldn't matter if a brand, competing in a very competitive market segment, is viewed favorably by consumers.  Assuming it's selling a good product, it should sell just the same if the brand's public perception is very good or very bad.

Well that's obviously wrong.  It may not be the only thing that matters, but a brand's public image does matter.  You try to explain that to this noob, but he just tells you you're too stupid to understand his point, even though this is your field of study.  You'd like to help him understand, but he's sure he knows this stuff cold on his third day of classes and will not hear otherwise.

5/8/2014 12:33 PM (edited)
this reminds me of high schoolers arguing with a math teacher that 1 cannot .999, even after 10 different proofs are shown...
5/8/2014 12:40 PM
Posted by jtt8355 on 5/8/2014 12:41:00 PM (view original):
this reminds me of high schoolers arguing with a math teacher that 1 cannot .999, even after 10 different proofs are shown...
This reminds me of high school math teachers making incomplete and incoherent statements while just assuming that everyone is following their gibberish and not realizing they screwed up.
5/8/2014 12:55 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 5/8/2014 12:33:00 PM (view original):
Etta, it's because a subset of the people you're talking to are experts in the field of HD and you're saying obviously wrong things to them on a regular basis and giving them **** when they try to correct you.  You are in fact being stubbornly closed-minded.

You're a marketing guy, right?  Imagine you and your fellow marketeers are having a conversation about marketing.  A new guy walks up and declares that it shouldn't matter if a brand, competing in a very competitive market segment, is viewed favorably by consumers.  Assuming it's selling a good product, it should sell just the same if the brand's public perception is very good or very bad.

Well that's obviously wrong.  It may not be the only thing that matters, but a brand's public image does matter.  You try to explain that to this noob, but he just tells you you're too stupid to understand his point, even though this is your field of study.  You'd like to help him understand, but he's sure he knows this stuff cold on his third day of classes and will not hear otherwise.

I feel like I jumped into the middle of a conversation between you and...well, you, maybe.

What is "it's" in "it's because a subset..." You didn't quote anything so there's no context as to what you're addressing.

Difference between me and your example is that I have a ton of experience in simulated games and in real sports. I'm not some noob that has no clue about anything. I probably have more total knowledge in those areas than most people here. So who's being closed minded by discarding my critiques of the game? hell we've got people here that haven't even played other games and that hasn't stopped them from criticizing.

If my criticism is so far off base then why are so many people agreeing with me about the problems? Where the disagreement seems to be is whether or not I should be the one talking about them, not whether or not they exist. I've at least managed to move the conversation to that point.

5/8/2014 12:58 PM
1. I'm not saying you're a sports simulation noob.  I'm saying you're an HD noob.

2. I didn't quote anything because I was talking about the series of posts directly before mine.

3. A note: people aren't agreeing with you about any particular problems.  You're agreeing with them.  You're the new guy in a group of conversations that have gone on for a long time, through multiple updates.

4. When people try to help you succeed within the current paradigm, you often try to shut them down and insult them in the process.  That's what I'm talking about.  That's what that analogy was about.

5/8/2014 1:05 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 5/7/2014 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Terps, you don't have to go anywhere, its just at this point there is almost nothing that can be done about it. Also, please don't thumbs down etta's remarks because it might have an overall effect on the the thread's rating.
Thanks nacho. I didn't thumbs down any of Etta's post. Wasn't me and I won't
5/8/2014 3:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17|18 Next ▸
long overdue...User Polls Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.