Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

What I'd have done was tried to land one really good freshman with about half the budget, and then FSS'd a bunch of states after signing began, and tried to land 4-5 more with a mix of jucos and freshmen with the other half of the budget.
4/28/2014 4:03 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/28/2014 3:58:00 PM (view original):
Problem with it is having 11 scholarships if I had focused on 2 recruits, I'd have even less of a team than now. Most everyone I recruited was local, not just one or two. 

I think it's ridiculous that I can be recruiting a guy the whole season and then have to "bail" because someone swoops in out of the back. That's not how recruiting works, heck that's not how human relationships work. 

I didn't have any money after signings because I was trying to keep the recruits that people were vulching. 

It may be good advice, but it's good advice indicative of poor game design. I'm sorry if there are issues with me saying that, but it's not like I'm getting any credit for trying to play nice anyway.
Unless one is in position to win the battle, battles are not good.  Getting too fixed on keeping "my" recruits is a major error in this game. 

The big advantage of a school with 11 openings is the ability to promise tons of starts and minutes.  That can help you get 3 or 4 useful guys for VERY low cost.  Then spend a bunch on a couple and spend moderately on a few others and shazam you have a team. 

That is the best play in this situation, in my experience.
4/28/2014 4:07 PM
I don't think I would have gotten much worth getting after signing. I tried a couple of guys that were considering someone else but that the WOTS suggested weren't getting much attention, but just didn't have enough juice left.

I got 2 really good players with pretty decent money, and spent a lot on 3 guys I didn't get (2 that I feel like I should have and showed more consistent interest in, the other where I just got beat). Then I got the 2 FR late. Grow should end up a very good player, but is ineligible. If even he was available this year, it would probably make a huge difference.

The annoying thing is that it doesn't look like my region is nearly as good this time around as it was last year.
4/28/2014 4:10 PM
I think you're greatly underestimating the kind of players you can get after signings begin. And my advice was more based on what you could have done DIFFERENTLY than the route you actually chose.

50% = 1 stud freshman
30% = 2 other useful pieces
20% = 2-3 role players

The %ages are after removing the money you spend on FSS. In that scenario, the ONLY FSS I'd do pre-signings is on whatever state the stud was from. All other FSS would be post-signings.
4/28/2014 4:16 PM
I did plenty of looking around after signings. I guess it comes down to not really wanting to clog the roster with "role players". Instead of 1 stud FR, I got 2 of the 5 stud players I was after (2 JC, 1 FR that some low D-I came in on literally after signings started, I had been recruiting him the whole time). So really I probably ended up a similar mix from that 80% -- 2 very good JUCOs, and a couple of freshman bigs (one of which is a non-qualifier). So is it worth it to get a couple of other players just to have non walkons off the bench that I might wish I didn't have a couple years from now? I don't think it is, really. We were pretty much sunk for this year when we didn't get the guys like Elliott, Bechtol and the FR guard whose name I can't remember now. Elmont or something.

I think I only did like 6 states FSS in total. All I really needed. 

The route I actually chose would probably have worked just fine if I hadn't been operating under some false assumptions. I probably would have targeted about two fewer players and quit chasing one sooner. One thing that legitimately was a learning point is how much more money is spent per recruit in D2 vs. D3. Seems pretty significantly different, or at least was in my case. Crawford was not cheap despite only having one other school on him.

One thing i thought I would see more of is players making themselves available for drop downs. One did even though he was "considering" another school, but apparently not getting the love and was able to get him (Godina). I put a lot of bread crumbs out but not many emails even came back. That's where I was planning on using my last couple of starting promises.
4/28/2014 4:27 PM
I gave you my best advice. Others have as well. It won't change what actually happened this season, but could help you moving forward. Neither of the freshman centers you landed would be in the "stud" category, even if they're blue on Ath, IMO. When I was at D2 FHSU, I always tried to land one stud freshman every season, that I thought could develop into a great player at his position. That's where about half my budget was spent. Another portion, I'd use on a local guy with potential. And, after signings, I'd run a search for ath/def and see what popped nation-wide. I'd then FSS the relevant states, and see if any of those undecided were worth a roster spot.

Of course, YMMV, or you may just choose to go a different route.
4/28/2014 4:39 PM
That's right - without FSS you really don't have any trustworthy information.
4/28/2014 5:14 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 4/28/2014 5:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/28/2014 4:27:00 PM (view original):
I did plenty of looking around after signings. I guess it comes down to not really wanting to clog the roster with "role players". Instead of 1 stud FR, I got 2 of the 5 stud players I was after (2 JC, 1 FR that some low D-I came in on literally after signings started, I had been recruiting him the whole time). So really I probably ended up a similar mix from that 80% -- 2 very good JUCOs, and a couple of freshman bigs (one of which is a non-qualifier). So is it worth it to get a couple of other players just to have non walkons off the bench that I might wish I didn't have a couple years from now? I don't think it is, really. We were pretty much sunk for this year when we didn't get the guys like Elliott, Bechtol and the FR guard whose name I can't remember now. Elmont or something.

I think I only did like 6 states FSS in total. All I really needed. 

The route I actually chose would probably have worked just fine if I hadn't been operating under some false assumptions. I probably would have targeted about two fewer players and quit chasing one sooner. One thing that legitimately was a learning point is how much more money is spent per recruit in D2 vs. D3. Seems pretty significantly different, or at least was in my case. Crawford was not cheap despite only having one other school on him.

One thing i thought I would see more of is players making themselves available for drop downs. One did even though he was "considering" another school, but apparently not getting the love and was able to get him (Godina). I put a lot of bread crumbs out but not many emails even came back. That's where I was planning on using my last couple of starting promises.
I've been avoiding the topic, because I don't think you will believe me and will think I am just trying to start **** again which I am not.

Obviously I don't know the potentials of the players you signed, but unless they are very impressive potentials, IMHO none of the players you signed are now or look like they can develop into D2 studs. I'll be happy to talk about why, assuming you are ok with my opinion not lining up with yours and want to hear my reasons for thinking this way. I'll be happy to do it in sitemail or email as well if you want.

One last bit - I wouldn't keep trying interact with you at all if I didn't respect some of your thoughts about the game (this one) and the game of basketball in general, and hope that you and we all can put aside our tumultuous introductory period and each group can benefit from each other's experience peaceably. Unfortunately, justified or not, some folks might take longer (and some might just be kinda ***** in general and might never quit taking jabs-haters gonna hate...)
I was going to say the same thing, albeit less eloquently.   

It's a conversation that is worth having, in general.
4/28/2014 5:15 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/28/2014 2:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by metsmax on 4/28/2014 10:29:00 AM (view original):

11 openings is hard - but one can handle it.  Views may differ, but I think about it this way

- you get money for 6 schollies plus any post season money
- your team wont be good the first season anyhow
- so, sign some guys very cheaply with promises of starts and/or minutes helping - let them start
- sign some jucos/transfers - you MUST since a class cannot exceed 6 players (also in FAQ somewhere)
- spend big on a couple of guys who will be excellent players in the long term

Yeah I knew you couldn't have more than 6 in a class (not sure why you'd want to anyway).

I would think it would be pretty well impossible to sign 11 good players. I wasn't even trying for 11, more like 7-8 (at least half jucos) and I still ran out of money. I guess if you wanted to sign dreck to fill the roster you could, but don't really see the help in that.

Really should have signed about 2 more I feel. Doesn't make sense that you can come in late and have the same impact as someone that's been recruiting a guy from the start. 

this makes me wonder... didn't superclasses get cut long after the 6 scholarship limit? like, you only had money for 6, but it was still causing major problems that people were signing 10-12 freshman and then wrecked everyone as seniors (and maybe juniors)... at least that's how I remember it. 

anyway, its definitely way harder to fill up 10 spots with 6 now, even other than the class limit, because of the cost of FSS and the need to scout the players you sign. i wonder if the superclass restriction is really even necessary anymore now that potential exists? not suggesting we get rid of it of course :) just would be interesting to see what coaches would do superclass wise now that FSS exists.
4/28/2014 5:33 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 4/28/2014 4:39:00 PM (view original):
I gave you my best advice. Others have as well. It won't change what actually happened this season, but could help you moving forward. Neither of the freshman centers you landed would be in the "stud" category, even if they're blue on Ath, IMO. When I was at D2 FHSU, I always tried to land one stud freshman every season, that I thought could develop into a great player at his position. That's where about half my budget was spent. Another portion, I'd use on a local guy with potential. And, after signings, I'd run a search for ath/def and see what popped nation-wide. I'd then FSS the relevant states, and see if any of those undecided were worth a roster spot.

Of course, YMMV, or you may just choose to go a different route.
No, the two players I would consider the studs are the JUCOs that were among the best players recruited to D-II. Crawford and Godina. I had a local guy with potential that was 20 miles away and I was alone on for most of 3 days. He's playing for USC-Upstate now, I think. Not a terribly realistic situation there. I almost think we have too much information on players outside our regions...can't think of a scenario real world where a school like that would get involved out of the blue with someone 1000 or whatever miles away right before signings. But that's what happened.

Grow is blue ATH, black most everything else that matters; Joyce is black but is blue darned near everywhere else (REB, DEF, LP, BH, ST) and a 60 WE. 

Obviously how good Grow is will largely be determined by whether he's low-high or high-high and to be honest I don't remember right now if I ever found out or not. They'll probably be similar to each other. I was pretty surprised that some D-III didn't pull Joyce down. Kind of made me wish I stayed at Marietta because I could have gotten him there too. Very good chance of being 45 ATH, and 90+ reb, 85+ LP and 55+ DE. I'll take that.

4/28/2014 5:40 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 4/28/2014 5:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/28/2014 4:10:00 PM (view original):
I don't think I would have gotten much worth getting after signing. I tried a couple of guys that were considering someone else but that the WOTS suggested weren't getting much attention, but just didn't have enough juice left.

I got 2 really good players with pretty decent money, and spent a lot on 3 guys I didn't get (2 that I feel like I should have and showed more consistent interest in, the other where I just got beat). Then I got the 2 FR late. Grow should end up a very good player, but is ineligible. If even he was available this year, it would probably make a huge difference.

The annoying thing is that it doesn't look like my region is nearly as good this time around as it was last year.
how can you know what the region looks like next year without FSS? Just going from the starting values may not tell you much, and taking that many walkons you couldn't have had any carryover so you can't have used FSS for any of next season's recruits, right?
Well I know what it looked like last year in the JUCO ranks...and um...it doesn't look nearly as good?
4/28/2014 5:41 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/28/2014 3:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 4/28/2014 2:07:00 PM (view original):
It's everyone else's fault that ettaexpress can't read and comprehend the FAQ.
And this is what I deal with. I start a perfectly innocuous thread and some pissant has to try to make it about them and their hatred of me, and then I'll get blamed for it.

I'm not sure what world you live in, in which you believe it's justified to blame your own failures on other people. Take some responsibility for your actions for once.

And since you're not leaving this site I'd recommend you join some more HD worlds. You'll understand the game quicker and it will allow you to get over the lulls over having a bad team in a different world.
4/28/2014 6:33 PM
Your jucos aren't BAD, but IMO they're not GREAT either. Your freshman are both complete projects, that may be starter quality by their JR or SR years. Of course all of this is predicated on potentials. IMO, you're undervaluing Ath in your recruiting.
4/28/2014 6:35 PM
Karma's a *****, eh?
4/28/2014 6:56 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 4/28/2014 6:56:00 PM (view original):
Karma's a *****, eh?
That's your mama's name, then, is it? 
4/28/2014 7:41 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...19 Next ▸
Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.