Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

Posted by ettaexpress on 5/8/2014 8:48:00 AM (view original):
No I'm using fatigue this year. If I was using minutes, that would definitely be the reason though.

Oh well I tweaked something and we'll see if it helps. I don't know if it'll end up doing me any good but this year would probably be pretty instructive for someone that wants to see just how much you can get out of 5 starters as far as minutes go and have them be useful. 
You mean like playing Zone?
5/8/2014 9:16 AM
I said useful...
5/8/2014 10:45 AM
Etta, you need to learn how to play the game.  There is nothing to be learned from how you are coaching that team.  

Plenty of coaches have had teams with 6 or 7 man rotations.   To do that, you need to play zone and you need to learn how to set your depth charts so that substitutions actually happen.  If you posted a screen-grab of your depth chart, then I would be able to fix your issue.

On the other hand, you need to go into recruiting with realistic expectations of your team's needs and the quality of players that you'll be able to sign given that you need to have at certain depth of rotation to be competitive.  The only thing that another coach could learn is to not do whatever the hell you did during recruiting.
5/8/2014 11:12 AM
I don't want to play zone. I don't know why you have a problem with that. The fact that there's a thread asking not whether a zone is a disadvantage, but how much, suggests that I'm far from alone in this.

We don't have the rebounding to beat anyone anyway, and I'm dealing with finals, final projects, prep for a family visit, and prep for a 2 week trip to Europe. So it's pretty low on the priority list right now. Honestly the only reason I'm checking this site lately is to see what the latest foolishness written about me is.

I don't really care about playing zone because that's not what I would play if I stay around to next year. You say I need to learn, well why would I play a defense that I don't plan on using? Wouldn't that curtail learning that would help me in the future? Though it's not like I don't understand what a man to man defense is vs. a zone...not really much to learn there.

What I did during recruiting worked fine until 3 of my recruits got vulched at the last minute. Really nothing I could have done about it that I didn't do. They're just better programs right now. IMO that shouldn't be as easy as it is and the time you put in over the course of the entire recruiting season, the consistency of interest, should matter, but it is what it is and that's the game. If i get 4 more capable players next year, it won't really be a problem, will it?

It's already been said though that trying to recruit quality for 11 open spots was more or less an impossible mission, and that being the case I'd rather have 4 good players and no roster filler as have a bunch of people I want to cut later. So I'm comfortable with that. 
5/8/2014 12:02 PM
You don't have four good players. 
5/8/2014 12:05 PM
That's what you think. 
5/8/2014 12:13 PM
You might be the most closed-minded person I've ever encountered.  Congrats on that.

I can think of a number of reasons why someone who never intends to play Zone might want to understand how it works in this game.  I won't bother typing them out.

If you have 3 players "vulched" at the last minute, that's 100% on the way you recruited.  You'll eventually realize that if you accumulate more than 3 seasons of experience.

edit: I fully expect you to respond with some diatribe about being the victim..or how everyone else refuses to change.  Feel free to mix some more references to grad school in there too.  We're all very impressed by that.

5/8/2014 12:23 PM (edited)
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/8/2014 12:13:00 PM (view original):
That's what you think. 
Agreed. That is precisely what I think. 
5/8/2014 12:34 PM
You have over 1000 post now? Thank goodness I've avoided the forums lately. 
5/8/2014 12:37 PM
Posted by thinair on 5/8/2014 12:34:00 PM (view original):
That's what you think. 
No less than the demigod said they're better than he expected and have value. I guess you missed when I listed all their potentials. Whatever, doesn't matter really.
5/8/2014 12:46 PM
Posted by killbatman on 5/8/2014 12:23:00 PM (view original):
You might be the most closed-minded person I've ever encountered.  Congrats on that.

I can think of a number of reasons why someone who never intends to play Zone might want to understand how it works in this game.  I won't bother typing them out.

If you have 3 players "vulched" at the last minute, that's 100% on the way you recruited.  You'll eventually realize that if you accumulate more than 3 seasons of experience.

edit: I fully expect you to respond with some diatribe about being the victim..or how everyone else refuses to change.  Feel free to mix some more references to grad school in there too.  We're all very impressed by that.

LOL and you all talk about me getting personal and offtopic...you have no idea how far off track you are as far as me being closed or open minded. Just because someone sees the flaws in a plan or system or simulation doesn't mean they're closed minded. It might mean the opposite, that they're able to see more and understand what the problems are that many others just accept without thinking about whether they're problems or not, and lashing out at those who do have a larger field of vision.

No, having players vulched is not 100% on how I recruited. I'd like to see how you would have kept them with the budget I had and the number of players I was pursuing. I think it's ridiculous that a team that hasn't been on a guy can just jump in at the last second and win his heart. That's just not real. But that's pretty much what happened, and there was really no way of getting around it happening unless I could give myself more money. Say whatever you want, I really don't care because you're talking out your ***, you don't know what happened, you don't know what I know, and you have an obvious bias. So forgive me if i don't give your view on the matter a whole lot of value; as one can easily see, there are a lot of reasons for that. 

There's a whole thread dedicated to zone that I feel pretty sure has more useful info than I can get from playing it with a team that's not any good at any defense. You're really grasping at straws here. 
5/8/2014 12:53 PM
The point about having players "vulched" is exactly at the core of recruiting in this game.  It is about budget management.  Your results make it painfully obvious (to anyone that has played this game for a few seasons) that you over-committed resources to players and invited competition.  The competition would have been able to read your position and realize that you couldn't possibly defend all of your positions at once with a limited budget.

There is no way that recruiting can be made to exactly mirror real life.  The solution to simulating recruiting and, separately, simulating games, presented by WIS is a very strong one (if you only bothered to figure it out).  In real life, their are limitations on campus visits, coaching staff contacts, etc. so the Universities compete on facilities, tradition (both campus and conference), coaches' reputation, scholarship and, at the highest levels, ability to get recruits into the NBA (along with blatant cheating).  

Unless you wanted to have a game of sim-University on the side of the basketball simulation, then there is very little way to make that function within the confines of any simulation.
5/8/2014 1:26 PM
...though there is a baseline prestige factor that tries to simulate that. 
5/8/2014 2:12 PM
Posted by thinair on 5/8/2014 12:34:00 PM (view original):
That's what you think. 
And it's exactly what any coach with much experience in HD would think in looking at his roster. But EE already knows all he needs to know.
5/8/2014 2:14 PM
I also love where EE tells one of the really great coaches in HD right now (killbatman) that HE is grasping at straws. Just when you think it can't get any richer...
5/8/2014 2:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...19 Next ▸
Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.