Do the guard positions use LP?  Or will I have to put an LP-heavy guard at the 3 to see him use it?

I searched for this but couldn't find anything definitive. Thanks for any help.
5/5/2014 9:36 AM
Guards use LP.   It's actually vastly underrated in my opinion.  

Do a search in PLAYER RATINGS-> PG (or SG)-> Entire Division  and then sort by LP.

You'll find the guards with 40+ LP all shoot way over 50%.

I think it has something to do with how LP/ATH shots are defended.  

5/5/2014 9:42 AM
Guards use LP.
5/5/2014 9:42 AM
I have a similar question. How important is PER for PF and C?
5/5/2014 10:20 AM
Less.

Perimeter helps them score but it doesn't make them a good scorer.

It is possible to get a 1/2 way decent 3 point shooter from your post players.  For some reason it works much better from PF than C in my experience but if you can get a big with a respectable PER, BH above like 30 and that has a significant SPD advantage over his defender, you can pop a couple threes.
5/5/2014 10:26 AM
Cool -- thanks guys!
5/5/2014 10:57 AM
One of my past players was a PF with 67 PER, 56 SPD, and 30 BH. As you can see he 44/99 on 3-pointers. I played him at C, so he would have been playing against players with < 30 SPD. I also had a PG with 51 LP and 61 ATH that shot 56% from inside the arc. I think PER for PF and C, and LP for Guards can make them both a good scorer.
5/5/2014 11:12 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/5/2014 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Less.

It is possible to get a 1/2 way decent 3 point shooter from your post players.  For some reason it works much better from PF than C in my experience but if you can get a big with a respectable PER, BH above like 30 and that has a significant SPD advantage over his defender, you can pop a couple threes.
Are you implying that PER in big men is only good for shooting 3's?  Shouldn't it help with midrange jumpers as well?

I would assume a big man with a PER of 50 to be a competent mid-range shooter, although  I would never change his 3 point setting to anything other than -2.  Where would a player like this fit into your game plan?  How much more distribution does a PF/C with a PER of 50 warrant compared to a PF/C with the same exact skill set except a PER of 1?

5/5/2014 4:10 PM
lp for guards and per for bigs are both pretty useful. more and more it seems the only way to have an effective high scoring big, against top notch competition, is with quality per. the reverse is not true for guards, but their 2pt% is brought up substantially with lp. both are quite useful for offense-minded players. i sort of lean towards per being more valuable for bigs, on a relative scale - on an absolute scale, guards just score more so the lp might help you more if you add 40 lp to a guard, than adding 40 per to a big. but a 90 spd/per guard can be great with 1 lp, while a 90 ath/lp big can be mediocre with 1 per. its a little ridiculous, but i think this is a significant change in the new engine that can't be ignored.
5/5/2014 5:49 PM
Posted by clouseb on 5/5/2014 4:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/5/2014 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Less.

Are you implying that PER in big men is only good for shooting 3's?  Shouldn't it help with midrange jumpers as well?

I would assume a big man with a PER of 50 to be a competent mid-range shooter, although  I would never change his 3 point setting to anything other than -2.  Where would a player like this fit into your game plan?  How much more distribution does a PF/C with a PER of 50 warrant compared to a PF/C with the same exact skill set except a PER of 1?

No, I am not implying that PER only helps big make 3's.   I think PER helps post player score.  PERIMETER is a secondary scoring stat for bigs, it helps but isn't need (at least below elite D1).
5/5/2014 6:43 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/5/2014 5:49:00 PM (view original):
lp for guards and per for bigs are both pretty useful. more and more it seems the only way to have an effective high scoring big, against top notch competition, is with quality per. the reverse is not true for guards, but their 2pt% is brought up substantially with lp. both are quite useful for offense-minded players. i sort of lean towards per being more valuable for bigs, on a relative scale - on an absolute scale, guards just score more so the lp might help you more if you add 40 lp to a guard, than adding 40 per to a big. but a 90 spd/per guard can be great with 1 lp, while a 90 ath/lp big can be mediocre with 1 per. its a little ridiculous, but i think this is a significant change in the new engine that can't be ignored.
I think PERIMETER is better for bigs who can all ready score but a 40 LP will turn a guard who isn't a scoring threat into one.
5/5/2014 6:48 PM
i think we are mostly on the same page, TJ. so you are saying, for a big who can already score, per helps more than lp for a guard who can already score. i think we agree, especially if that guard is a 3 point thread. and for a big who can't score, that per is basically worthless, while 40 lp for a non scoring guard is still worth something. so we agree on that, too. i guess i just think per is more important for offensive bigs in general, because without per, bigs are at best decent in high scoring roles, it seems to me (even in lower divisions, in high end competition - outside high competition, none of this necessarily holds - but like in high d2, i struggled with great ath/lp based bigs, i could never lead a team with one). meanwhile, a guard without lp can be great, efficiency wise, in high scoring roles. that said, almost any guard can use extra lp while a good half of my bigs are non-scoring bigs (more in lower divisions), where 40 per isn't really worth a damn to me. i suppose talking about "bigs" and "guards" is misleading, as that kind of specificity doesn't really get you anywhere on the big stage.

also i do agree with you that per is definitely more important for bigs in d1, where defenses are more staunch. frankly a 90 ath/lp big is a mediocre scorer in high d1, and its kind of ridiculous. to me, its probably the biggest inaccuracy in the game. i mean if you are saying with low per the guy cant make anything but a layup or dunk, i think thats a little tight definition, but if you are going to do that, you have to generate most bigs with some per. to say sub 20 per is normal in bigs, to me implies 90 ath/lp bigs should still be pretty damn dangerous.
5/5/2014 7:55 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.