home court advantage @ D2 Topic

it seems that every season, no matter the success i have with my charleston team, we are always one of the last of the elite teams to reach a B HCA. WIS has already confirmed that HCA resets according to a 'base' home court advantage (see below), though does this apply at D2? how about D3?

Q. What does the homecourt advantage mean? Does it change?
  A.
The homecourt advantage (found in the Coach's Office) indicates the level of an advantage your team receives by playing at home. These ratings range from A+ (best) to F (worst) and are relative to all schools in all divisions. As your team progresses through the season, your homecourt advantage can change based on the performance of your team. If your team starts off the season at 10-0, you can bet there will be a buzz on campus and it will be hard to find tickets (improving your homecourt advantage). While on the other hand, if your "Fab 5" isn't so fabulous and you start the season at 1-9, you can bet your homecourt advantage will drop.
Between seasons, home court advantage is reset based on traditional fan loyalty of the college and the success of the team in the previous season.
Q. Can you explain how Home Court Advantage is calculated?
A. Homecourt advantage changes based on numerous factors - opponent quality, whether you won or lost, margin of victory (or loss) and location of the game. On top of that, real life historical fan attendance numbers over the past 30 years were used to come up with a fan loyalty factor which also plays a role in how "fairweather" a schools fans are.

5/5/2014 12:35 PM
(for anyone wondering, there are already 2 teams (Clayton St. and Abilene Christian that have a B HCA @ D2.)
5/5/2014 12:40 PM
Honestly, I didn't even know HCA changed during the season! Is there any way to look at past seasons and tell what your HCA was at the end of the year?
5/5/2014 12:42 PM
But the top two RPI teams in the country, one of whom is off an Elite Eight run and one of whom is off a title season, one of whom actually beat Clayton State this season, who have a combined 11-2 record against ranked teams this season, are both still at B-. 
5/5/2014 12:53 PM
Posted by jtt8355 on 5/5/2014 12:40:00 PM (view original):
(for anyone wondering, there are already 2 teams (Clayton St. and Abilene Christian that have a B HCA @ D2.)
most likely, its because you play a harder schedule and get more losses. hca is very much tied to wins and losses, not rpi. also, HCA is not reset to baseline after each season. its reset when sims take over or something, but with a human coach, it just moves back towards the baseline HCA after each season. when SIUE was amazing, i had a couple seasons where i started with a B, and a couple where i ended with a B+, but thats as high as ive seen. so if you are starting b- and ending b, thats about as much as you can hope for. it doesn't matter in the games that really count, either :)

also, im pretty sure baseline HCA is the same for all d3 and d2 schools
5/5/2014 4:08 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 5/5/2014 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, I didn't even know HCA changed during the season! Is there any way to look at past seasons and tell what your HCA was at the end of the year?
no
5/5/2014 4:10 PM
I feel like HCA is solely, or mostly tied to W/L record. Usually in DII, it seems like the really good schools in bad conferences with perennial 28-3 records are the teams getting the best HCA, even if their RPI is around 30 or 40
5/5/2014 5:27 PM
i've got 1 loss with the no. 2 sos; clayton has 1 loss with the no. 5 sos; and abilene has 1 loss with the no. 73 sos. and we're the defending natl champions.
5/5/2014 9:27 PM
Is HCA capped at A+, or is it like prestige where the top teams may actually have an A+++ HCA?  I guess theres no way to really know for sure, outside of asking Seble
5/5/2014 11:54 PM
since starting this thread, we lost to the number 3 team in the country (on the road) and beat a 2-15 team by 50 at home; our sos dropped from 2 to 3. but we got the B HCA rating. concord beat the number 4 team at home by 10 and then beat an 8-8 team by 25 at home and is still a B- with the number 1 sos.
5/7/2014 9:46 AM
home court advantage @ D2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.