.500 Record Requirement for D1 Postseason(Poll) Topic

If their projection is 90th and remains 90th after the completion of the CT tournaments, the only way that team will get into the post season (barring them winning their CT) is if there are only 6 CT winners on the projection report above them (i.e those between 91 and the bottom of the projection report that won their CTs).
5/13/2014 6:01 PM (edited)
I don't have much sympathy for the "but we can't HELP our terrible RPI/SOS, since we're in mostly sim conferences" crowd. You CAN and SHOULD fix that issue by scheduling tough (and smart) in the non-con. In other words, schedule mostly road games (wins count more in the RPI formula, and losses hurt less), and schedule more humans, though not ALL humans, at least in my opinion. That formula got me several PIT bids when I was at Campbell and would get upset in the CT.

The other option is to complain about how rough you have it, and try to get WIS to change things so that it's easier for you to get in.
5/13/2014 6:08 PM
I have NO Sympathy for the team that schedules 10 sims while in an Elite conference and can make the PI with a losing record in their conference. They have Every advantage to attempt to be good. They prefer to hang on to jobs as awful. Heck the team I showed killbatman makes the PI with a losing record over all including his 10 sims
5/13/2014 6:10 PM
Posted by taniajane on 5/13/2014 6:12:00 PM (view original):
I have NO Sympathy for the team that schedules 10 sims while in an Elite conference and can make the PI with a losing record in their conference. They have Every advantage to attempt to be good. They prefer to hang on to jobs as awful. Heck the team I showed killbatman makes the PI with a losing record over all including his 10 sims
Your BEST strength of schedule at FAU has been 132. You have NO room to complain about other teams scheduling practices.
5/13/2014 6:12 PM
Yes. Fla ranked #1 on road I lost by 3. The conference is the problem. You have scheduled 6 of 10 sims in your non conference at Villanova for gods sake. Don't lecture me. Amusing!
Four years there and yet a winning record........all those sims included- Next season is non conference patsies...pathetic with the money you people have to recruit
5/13/2014 6:22 PM (edited)
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/13/2014 6:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by taniajane on 5/13/2014 6:12:00 PM (view original):
Your BEST strength of schedule at FAU has been 132. You have NO room to complain about other teams scheduling practices.
hmmm, who is self serving now tania? lol...

no seriously, the projection report is NT and PIT both. its 100% accurate for the time it is published. that means a team who shows higher on the projection report will get a spot over the lower team, based on events up until now. when you say you don't see killbatman's projection working out, he wasn't projecting, he was saying where the team is now, they are out, which is most likely true. its not his projection - but rather the games projection - and the game happens to use the exact same logic for the "projection" and the actual rankings, so... yeah. it is what it is, you really can't argue with killbatman's assessment, its like me saying i disagree that team you are looking at with 67 rpi is actually 67 rpi.
5/13/2014 6:20 PM
Posted by taniajane on 5/13/2014 6:19:00 PM (view original):
Yes. Fla ranked #1 on road I lost by 3. The conference is the problem. You have scheduled 6 of 10 sims in your non conference at Villanova for gods sake. Don't lecture me. Amusing!
Four years there and yet a winning record........all those sims included
Check our respective SOS's and then get back to me. You're at a mid-major. You have to schedule a lot more aggressively in the non-con, to make up for all of the crappy conference games (and easy wins) you'll get. When I was at Campbell, I scheduled differently than I do now. And if you look at my RPIs while I was there, as well as when I as at Lynn, my more aggressive non-con scheduling is reflected. The entire reason your FAU squad is constantly on the PIT bubble if you lose in the CT comes down to your non-con scheduling practices.
5/13/2014 6:21 PM
Maybe billy the team I showed  (have no clue on projection report) made it into the PI with 12-16 and 68 rpi before. I assume they have a chance again without even great effort on their part. They lost in 1st round.
5/13/2014 6:25 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/13/2014 6:21:00 PM (view original):
Check our respective SOS's and then get back to me. You're at a mid-major. You have to schedule a lot more aggressively in the non-con, to make up for all of the crappy conference games (and easy wins) you'll get. When I was at Campbell, I scheduled differently than I do now. And if you look at my RPIs while I was there, as well as when I as at Lynn, my more aggressive non-con scheduling is reflected. The entire reason your FAU squad is constantly on the PIT bubble if you lose in the CT comes down to your non-con scheduling practices.
Yes Wildcat. I can see your genius in your record

5/13/2014 6:28 PM
My Nova team made it at 13-14. We had an RPI of around 65ish, and sat at around 55-57 on the projection report. (This is all from memory.) We got an 8-seed, which indicates we were one of the last 4 in.
5/13/2014 6:29 PM
Posted by taniajane on 5/13/2014 6:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/13/2014 6:21:00 PM (view original):
Yes Wildcat. I can see your genius in your record

You're sounding more and more like Etta. I've told you how you can fix the problem. Do it or don't. Doesn't matter to me.
5/13/2014 6:30 PM
the fact of the matter is something needs to be done about the huge discrepancy between Big 6 teams and everybody else. i am all for the Big 6 teams having advantages, so as to keep them among the best conferences and most desired job locations...however the current advantages are far too excessive
5/13/2014 7:39 PM
fwiw I did most of the work checking the mystery team's 67 RPI (I'll refer to them as TEAM).  I'm not going to calculate adjusted winning % for all the opponents and opp' opp, but I got extremely close to the correct RPI without doing that.  It's definitely working as advertised imo.

I think the main reason TEAM's RPI seems better than you might expect is the large number of road games, which count for slightly more in RPI.  So they're 11-10, but when you apply the weights for home/road games from the FAQ I posted, their "adjusted" record is 13.8 wins and 9.2 losses.  Again that is not reflecting anything about their conference, just the fact that they've played 15 road games and only 6 home games.  So 13.8 - 9.2 is a 60% winning%, which is 25% of the RPI formula.

50% of the RPI formula is opp winning%, which I have as .5913 for TEAM.  That's mainly due to playing in a BCS conf and having some extremely good W-L records on their schedule.  I did not adjust the opp winning% for home/road games, but it would make only a small difference.

The last 25% of the formula is opp' opp winning%, and I have TEAM at .5249 there.  Again I did not adjust for home/road and it would make a small difference.

I get .5769 as TEAM's RPI.  The actual listed value is .5810.  Most of their BCS conf opponents probably played lots of road games too, so I'm confident that is all the difference is.  I'm slightly understating their RPI by not adjusting for home/road on their opp and opp' opp.
5/13/2014 7:44 PM
So if they play on the road against SIMs which usually have bad Home Field they get adjusted higher?
5/13/2014 7:54 PM
Posted by andrew5975 on 5/13/2014 7:39:00 PM (view original):
the fact of the matter is something needs to be done about the huge discrepancy between Big 6 teams and everybody else. i am all for the Big 6 teams having advantages, so as to keep them among the best conferences and most desired job locations...however the current advantages are far too excessive
I agree. And now some what to make the excuse for game planning their schedules to make the PI. That game planning is Totally Fair. It is Totally understood. It is totally recognized as neither Illegal or Immoral, but they want the PI in addition to the Huge amount of recruiting money they get from others in their conference to use the PI to build their Prestige at the expense of people that build teams in the smaller divisions while they wallow away at below or at .500
5/13/2014 7:59 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...12 Next ▸
.500 Record Requirement for D1 Postseason(Poll) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.