D+ Hartford makes D1 Final 4 Phelan Topic

Posted by jjwarden on 8/4/2014 9:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tianyi7886 on 8/4/2014 10:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 8/3/2014 11:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 8/3/2014 10:22:00 PM (view original):
Without going too much into strategy and detail, I will say we were moderately to significantly better in certain areas than some of the teams we defeated in the tourney, which I felt made a big difference. We had a little luck along the way, sure.  I might have been the only one, but I wasn't at all surprised the run we had to get to the Final 4. I had the same type of teams that won a national title and a very unexpected Final 4 appearance at D-3.  Not trying to brag by any stretch, just pointing out that you can find innovative ways to win other than going Ath+Def.
Absolutely there are other ways to win than just Ath/Def.  Just not quite sure how your opponent's didn't spend the whole game at the FT line especially given your team's relatively modest ratings in Def.  One would think that running a FCP, with those type ratings, against teams that had a pretty big advantage athletically, would cause Hartford to stay in foul trouble but obviously you found a way to negate that.  Kudos!
Hartford stayed out of foul trouble because his opponents (especially Syracuse) played tired/extremely tired for more than half the game. Players were playing at 50% of their actual ratings. 
tiany hit it on the head.  His stamina was a huge factor.  He obliterated Syracuse and even Miami and Colorado to some extent through fatigue.  He also hit some 3's some of those games and had some luck but I contribute the run in a major part to IQ and stamina.  The right combo, with the right coaching guesses and some perfectly matched opponents and there you have it.  Plus that Michigan team he played wasn't an elite 8 team.  Great run.   
The guys that faced him probably just looked at team ratings, chuckled at their good fortune, and then didn't game plan. I would have done the same thing had Hartford not taken out those other teams earlier. 
8/4/2014 11:43 PM
thanks stine, yes i took lowly st. joes all the way to the championship game when they were a B prestige.

It did cause quite the ruckus, hell I even think ARomano took it so far as to send in a ticket he was so upset.

then a few seasons later i capped it off by winning one with a very unsuspecting boston college team that was also a B prestige and it also sent the 'powers to be' off.

i didn't run press in either instance though, so my defensive ratings were a lil bit higher. 

nice job wiz, glad to see someone else think outside of the box and find ways/systems to win big other than the conventional A/DE method. 
8/5/2014 11:44 AM
its not like these happen that often, if there were teams like this making the final 4 regularly, there would be a valid complaint. but that isn't the case, and with one of the biggest complaints over the past couple years being how few mid majors make deep runs, it seems pretty ridiculous to me to have such a strong reaction to something like this. 
8/5/2014 3:18 PM
hrumph hrumph
8/5/2014 4:01 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/5/2014 3:18:00 PM (view original):
its not like these happen that often, if there were teams like this making the final 4 regularly, there would be a valid complaint. but that isn't the case, and with one of the biggest complaints over the past couple years being how few mid majors make deep runs, it seems pretty ridiculous to me to have such a strong reaction to something like this. 
Appreciate your opinion, I just don't happen to share it, that's all.
8/5/2014 5:02 PM
Thanks everyone........I appreciate all the compliments. I just sit behind the computer screen and make a few adjustments, nothing significant.
8/5/2014 6:14 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 8/5/2014 6:15:00 PM (view original):
Thanks everyone........I appreciate all the compliments. I just sit behind the computer screen and make a few adjustments, nothing significant.
wasn't press at all. The majik was from working BEHIND the computer screen..... now that IS significant... I may start recruiting that way.
8/7/2014 2:54 PM
Don't we want this game to emulate real life college basketball more than it doesn't. What is college basketball if not unpredictable? I would guess that HD has some variable in it of chance. Sometimes the better team will lose a game they should win. It happens all the time in real life basketball and it happens in HD. I've seen 30+ point favorites lose inexplicably. Some times good teams have bad shooting nights or a key player is injured or the coach doesn't game plan properly or whatever. The variables are what make the game interesting. Otherwise just having the most talent would always mean you win. And that is supremely boring. And it's not representative of real life basketball. It's also about strategy, having the right talent in the right places, and so much more.

Finally it's about match ups (like in real life). Maybe wizards team was not one of the 4 best teams in that world that season. Maybe they just got favorable match ups, some luck, and benefited from excellent coaching. Sounds reasonable to me. I, for one, congratulate him on his success. Those who want to tear it down need to chill out. Instead of trashing someone else's success at a very tough game, why not boost him up. How many of you in his shoes would be apologizing for winning? He won and made the final 4. Get over it.
8/8/2014 12:15 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 8/4/2014 10:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 8/4/2014 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 8/3/2014 6:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 8/3/2014 10:47:00 AM (view original):
Sorry to be "that guy", but the fact people will complain so emphatically over something that happens about once every two years is a joke. HOW DARE A NON 750+ RATED TEAM EVER MAKE IN A RUN IN THE NT!!!

I recall the last time a similar team made a run, same type of dialog:

Quote post by uglyskunk3 on 12/15/2012 10:34:00 AM:
mm_harmon, don't take it personally. Try to be rational and look at your team. Explain on what planet your team deserved to have been in the championship game. I don't care if you are the John Wooden of coaches, that team, with those players, has no business in that game. For you to beat Providence is an indictment of how bad the current HD system is. He has a team full of amazing players, yet he got beat by a school with one guy over 80 in athlete. It ain't personal, heck I don't even know you, but it is about the numbers and they don't add up.

www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx
The fact that you're recalling specific posts that happened over 18 months ago is a bit.....scary.  Might want to pick up a hobby or two outside of HD because you are waaaaay to "into" this one.  Or, you just might have an exceptional memory, there's always that I suppose.

Oh, and just because it only happens once every two years or so still doesn't mean that there's not something wrong with the results.  You also didn't address the fact that this was basically the equivalent of a very high end D2 team making a run to the D1 Final Four. 
I recall mm_harmon making a run in the NT with a less than stellar team, and there being detractors. I didn't remember what world/team, or how long ago. I put his name in the search function and it came up easily since he doesn't regularly post in the forums. I don't believe this means I have "exceptional memory", it just means I know how to use the search function.

It's quite rich that a guy with multiple usernames and who posted on here all day and night to call ettaexpress "gay" among other juvenile commentary, is being critical of how I spend my time.

As stated by someone else, there's around 7 seasons a year for a 1-a-day world, and about 11 seasons a year for a 2 a day world. So we about 82 HD total seasons in the 10 worlds, which would give us about 120 seasons in 1 1/2 years for easier math. So we have a less talented team make a D1 Final Four run 0.8% of the time, but sure, let's whine and say "what an absolute joke".
Find me one post, one un-edited post, where I referred to Ettaexpress as "gay".  Don't worry, I'll wait.  In fact, I challenge you to find a post about anyone anywhere, on the whole damn internet, where I refer to them as "gay" in a disparaging way.

And when you don't, I'll expect a public apology.  Your move.

Maybe certain parts of your memory aren't that good, since you're obviously thinking of a series of conversations that Billy_G and Etta had.

But to remember a coach's name from 18 months ago that made an unexpected run in the NT, who isn't either you or a close friend, would qualify as an exceptional memory to me.  In case you're so blinded by your hatred of all things me, that's not an insult.  Now back to the "gay" comment you're supposed to be dredging up, still waiting.
The threads where you, etta, and gillispie were posting the majority of your garbage were deleted. I'm not sure why you're so desperate to get an apology from someone on the internet, but you aren't getting one.
8/8/2014 2:09 AM
Posted by mm_harmon on 8/5/2014 11:44:00 AM (view original):
thanks stine, yes i took lowly st. joes all the way to the championship game when they were a B prestige.

It did cause quite the ruckus, hell I even think ARomano took it so far as to send in a ticket he was so upset.

then a few seasons later i capped it off by winning one with a very unsuspecting boston college team that was also a B prestige and it also sent the 'powers to be' off.

i didn't run press in either instance though, so my defensive ratings were a lil bit higher. 

nice job wiz, glad to see someone else think outside of the box and find ways/systems to win big other than the conventional A/DE method. 
There's people out there that get riled when their high ATH/SPD/DEF teams don't advance too far in the NT. I agree with you, I like seeing some variance in finding ways to win.
8/8/2014 2:11 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 8/8/2014 2:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 8/4/2014 10:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 8/4/2014 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 8/3/2014 6:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 8/3/2014 10:47:00 AM (view original):
Sorry to be "that guy", but the fact people will complain so emphatically over something that happens about once every two years is a joke. HOW DARE A NON 750+ RATED TEAM EVER MAKE IN A RUN IN THE NT!!!

I recall the last time a similar team made a run, same type of dialog:

Quote post by uglyskunk3 on 12/15/2012 10:34:00 AM:
mm_harmon, don't take it personally. Try to be rational and look at your team. Explain on what planet your team deserved to have been in the championship game. I don't care if you are the John Wooden of coaches, that team, with those players, has no business in that game. For you to beat Providence is an indictment of how bad the current HD system is. He has a team full of amazing players, yet he got beat by a school with one guy over 80 in athlete. It ain't personal, heck I don't even know you, but it is about the numbers and they don't add up.

www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx
The fact that you're recalling specific posts that happened over 18 months ago is a bit.....scary.  Might want to pick up a hobby or two outside of HD because you are waaaaay to "into" this one.  Or, you just might have an exceptional memory, there's always that I suppose.

Oh, and just because it only happens once every two years or so still doesn't mean that there's not something wrong with the results.  You also didn't address the fact that this was basically the equivalent of a very high end D2 team making a run to the D1 Final Four. 
I recall mm_harmon making a run in the NT with a less than stellar team, and there being detractors. I didn't remember what world/team, or how long ago. I put his name in the search function and it came up easily since he doesn't regularly post in the forums. I don't believe this means I have "exceptional memory", it just means I know how to use the search function.

It's quite rich that a guy with multiple usernames and who posted on here all day and night to call ettaexpress "gay" among other juvenile commentary, is being critical of how I spend my time.

As stated by someone else, there's around 7 seasons a year for a 1-a-day world, and about 11 seasons a year for a 2 a day world. So we about 82 HD total seasons in the 10 worlds, which would give us about 120 seasons in 1 1/2 years for easier math. So we have a less talented team make a D1 Final Four run 0.8% of the time, but sure, let's whine and say "what an absolute joke".
Find me one post, one un-edited post, where I referred to Ettaexpress as "gay".  Don't worry, I'll wait.  In fact, I challenge you to find a post about anyone anywhere, on the whole damn internet, where I refer to them as "gay" in a disparaging way.

And when you don't, I'll expect a public apology.  Your move.

Maybe certain parts of your memory aren't that good, since you're obviously thinking of a series of conversations that Billy_G and Etta had.

But to remember a coach's name from 18 months ago that made an unexpected run in the NT, who isn't either you or a close friend, would qualify as an exceptional memory to me.  In case you're so blinded by your hatred of all things me, that's not an insult.  Now back to the "gay" comment you're supposed to be dredging up, still waiting.
The threads where you, etta, and gillispie were posting the majority of your garbage were deleted. I'm not sure why you're so desperate to get an apology from someone on the internet, but you aren't getting one.

Desperate?  Heh, no.  Just wanted to see if you were an honorable enough man to admit when you had made a mistake about someone.  The answer to that question has now been made abundantly clear.

8/8/2014 3:36 AM (edited)
Posted by kbc167 on 8/8/2014 12:15:00 AM (view original):
Don't we want this game to emulate real life college basketball more than it doesn't. What is college basketball if not unpredictable? I would guess that HD has some variable in it of chance. Sometimes the better team will lose a game they should win. It happens all the time in real life basketball and it happens in HD. I've seen 30+ point favorites lose inexplicably. Some times good teams have bad shooting nights or a key player is injured or the coach doesn't game plan properly or whatever. The variables are what make the game interesting. Otherwise just having the most talent would always mean you win. And that is supremely boring. And it's not representative of real life basketball. It's also about strategy, having the right talent in the right places, and so much more.

Finally it's about match ups (like in real life). Maybe wizards team was not one of the 4 best teams in that world that season. Maybe they just got favorable match ups, some luck, and benefited from excellent coaching. Sounds reasonable to me. I, for one, congratulate him on his success. Those who want to tear it down need to chill out. Instead of trashing someone else's success at a very tough game, why not boost him up. How many of you in his shoes would be apologizing for winning? He won and made the final 4. Get over it.
So no one can post a dissenting opinion?  Everything has to be warm and fuzzy all the time?  THAT sounds supremely boring.  Sorry kbc, but everyone isn't going to agree about everything all the time, just how life is. 
8/8/2014 2:39 AM
Posted by zags27 on 8/4/2014 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Nice run thewizard17. Well done.
Note also, he's one of the few coaches to jump from D3 straight to D1. Impressive.
8/8/2014 2:04 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 8/8/2014 2:39:00 AM (view original):

So no one can post a dissenting opinion?  Everything has to be warm and fuzzy all the time?  THAT sounds supremely boring.  Sorry kbc, but everyone isn't going to agree about everything all the time, just how life is. 
thats not his point at all. there is a difference between a dissenting opinion and blowing things out of proportion. our opinion is that some of you folks are blowing things out of proportion. a good coach managed to get lucky and win 4 games in a row - with the number of simulations in HD, its just not that big of a deal.

edit - hmmm, i didn't realize it was mostly just you with that opinion in this thread. for some reason i thought it was a handful of folks. never mind... 
8/8/2014 2:59 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/8/2014 2:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 8/8/2014 2:39:00 AM (view original):

thats not his point at all. there is a difference between a dissenting opinion and blowing things out of proportion. our opinion is that some of you folks are blowing things out of proportion. a good coach managed to get lucky and win 4 games in a row - with the number of simulations in HD, its just not that big of a deal.

edit - hmmm, i didn't realize it was mostly just you with that opinion in this thread. for some reason i thought it was a handful of folks. never mind... 
And that's the key word in your whole statement, "lucky".  I don't believe in "luck" and I don't think "luck" should be such a factor in this game.  Again, your word, not mine. 

Before someone takes that and runs with it, no I don't believe the best team should win every time because as kbc said earlier, what would be the fun in that?  But I also don't think that a team with the ratings that Hartford had should be able to knock off three far superior teams (I'm not counting the fourth team, Michigam, because frankly I don't think they were a powerhouse).  Everyone seems to be dismissing the coaches of the other teams and if you look, those are some of the best coaches in HD at the moment and really for all-time.  Wizard is a good coach, no doubt, I've been in a conference with him.  But the other coaches are not a bunch of bums.  It was pointed out that some of the teams Hartford beat had players that were tired and that therefore affected their ratings,  Point taken.  But even at that, those players would still have been equal to what Hartford was putting on the floor when THEY were fairly fresh and I can't imagine that with them running a FCP that they weren't experiencing fatigue themselves.  When you start with average (at best) and fatigue just a bit to mediocre, you simply shouldn't be able to beat the teams he beat.  You look at that team, with those kind of ratings, look at their opponents with their ratings, and explain to me with a straight face how Hartford didn't have half their team foul out, especially with them running a FCP.

By the way, just because it's your "opinion" that some folks are blowing things out of proportion doesn't mean that things are being blown out of proportion.  No one made you forum monitor, no one made you the authority on what is proportional and what is not.  If I wish to post MY opinion on the matter, who are you to say that it's right or wrong?  You may feel like I'm blowing something out of proportion, great, more power to you.  I don't happen to feel that way.  That okay with you your Majesty?  

Oh, and, if it's "not that big of a deal", why was a thread dedicated to Hartford's run?  Again, that Hartford team was close to a mirror image of a D2 team I have in Smith (Livingstone).  Think people would be a little up in arms if a D2 team made a run to the D1 Final Four?  Yep, me too.  It was an anomaly, a nice story, but something that shouldn't have happened.  Since it did happen, I feel like voicing my opinion and calling that out.  That okay with you Boss? 
8/8/2014 5:28 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
D+ Hartford makes D1 Final 4 Phelan Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.