Has anyone pulled down D1 recruits to D3? Topic

I am not sure if it is possible as you'd also have to go against D2 besides D1 as well, but has it happened and how much did you spend on him?
8/5/2014 3:48 PM
Can happen, but is very rare.
A few likely factors:
1) w/n 100 miles
2) A+ prestige at D3 
3) unranked D1 recruit
4) D1 recruit's total rating is near or below the highest rated high school player in D2 you see

Pulldown can happen for 10 SV + schollie like normal, but sometimes requires more SVs.  Whether you get a battler or not is a crapshoot for any recruit.  

Also, generally, the D1 pulldown guys aren't really that good and will likely have better D2 pull down candidates.  Do it for the novelty if you want, but don't get caught up on the fact that they are D1
8/5/2014 6:05 PM
Anyone remember when the D-3 Dominican pulled down a bunch of excellent D-1 recruits with a bunch of booster gifts? They started off 13-0 wiping out the competition, only to have all of their wins removed, along with the players they recruited illegally/legally, however way you want to view it.

To answer the original poster, I've found that the upper tier D-3 players are better than the low level D-1 players. Let's put it this way, if nobody in D-2 wants them, then that's probably saying something.

8/5/2014 6:12 PM (edited)
I did it once at palm Beach Atlantic. He was a good player,but not any better than a lot of the D2 guys I pulled down. But it can be done. I am pretty sure he was unranked.
8/5/2014 7:01 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 8/5/2014 7:01:00 PM (view original):
I did it once at palm Beach Atlantic. He was a good player,but not any better than a lot of the D2 guys I pulled down. But it can be done. I am pretty sure he was unranked.
Same scenario here.  The D1 guy I pulled down wasn't even my best recruit and he went on to have a pretty average career.  
8/5/2014 7:44 PM
I got one at Concordia, Moorhead in Smith last season.  He might have even been a Mr. Basketball...........
8/5/2014 8:17 PM
For those of you that have done it, did you pull them down while they were still listed as D1 or had they dropped to D2?  Just curious because I've always waited until they dropped before seeing if they might be interested.
8/5/2014 10:28 PM
You can do it when they are still on the D1 screen.
8/6/2014 6:19 AM
Posted by thewizard17 on 8/5/2014 6:12:00 PM (view original):
Anyone remember when the D-3 Dominican pulled down a bunch of excellent D-1 recruits with a bunch of booster gifts? They started off 13-0 wiping out the competition, only to have all of their wins removed, along with the players they recruited illegally/legally, however way you want to view it.

To answer the original poster, I've found that the upper tier D-3 players are better than the low level D-1 players. Let's put it this way, if nobody in D-2 wants them, then that's probably saying something.

Didn't the recruits die in a drive-by shooting or something? 
8/6/2014 8:23 AM
Agree with most of what's been said.  Usually the low D1 guys won't be any better than your D2 or even D3 options..but *sometimes* they are.  It's worth looking.

I've done it with A prestige, but A+ does really seem to make a difference in those guys talking to you.

I only call 70 miles or less, and I *think* 30 miles is the farthest I've been successful.  It's usually been 10 or 20 miles, which puts D3 teams in remote areas (in terms of D1/D2 recruit generation) at a disadvantage with this particular tactic.

I've never had success with a ranked FR, but I usually send a few calls just to check.  I've heard it's possible, but very very unlikely.

Right out of the gate, my experience has been about 12-15 SVs needed (up from the normal 10), but it does decrease over time like normal pulldowns.  Recently I pulled a D1 on the day of signings for 8 SVs, and I suspect I could've gotten away with even fewer if I'd wanted to be careful about it.

edit: As far as overall rating, I usually try up to about 510-515 for FR.  The recent guy I mentioned was 508 and I think about 510 is the highest I've signed.

8/6/2014 10:28 AM (edited)
Posted by nc2457829305 on 8/6/2014 8:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 8/5/2014 6:12:00 PM (view original):

Didn't the recruits die in a drive-by shooting or something? 
I honestly really don't remember. Not sure if that was a rumor floating around the forums or the old Admin was trying to have some fun with it and killed them off.
8/6/2014 3:38 PM
well so far, no other school is being considered by him at any level, but my 10 scouting trips have not done anything yet:

messages like:
Just my gut here, but I think we're chasing something we'll never catch. He's convinced he's going to play at a higher level than we can offer. I think he's right.

I've been doing this a long time, based on the other coaches in attendance and what I was hearing in the gym, we're going to be spending a lot of money on a kid who will never sign with us. Your call though your highness.

BTW, I saw the list of other coaches that were at the game, we're not really even in that league. May be wise to move on.

Just FYI, he didn't even see me - too busy putting on a show for some other colleges. Doesn't look like he's got any interest in Montclair St. from what I can tell.

Just FYI, he didn't even see me - too busy putting on a show for some other colleges. Doesn't look like he's got any interest in Montclair St. from what I can tell.

BTW, based on the other coaches that were there, I'd say we have zero chance at landing him.

With the first being the most recent, so it seems like it is getting better just not, much, I have a scholarship and more scouing trips en route and plan to send more right before signing, or is it not going to do anything, I could probably send 18 more max.  Should I stop?

8/6/2014 3:54 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 8/6/2014 3:54:00 PM (view original):
well so far, no other school is being considered by him at any level, but my 10 scouting trips have not done anything yet:

messages like:
Just my gut here, but I think we're chasing something we'll never catch. He's convinced he's going to play at a higher level than we can offer. I think he's right.

I've been doing this a long time, based on the other coaches in attendance and what I was hearing in the gym, we're going to be spending a lot of money on a kid who will never sign with us. Your call though your highness.

BTW, I saw the list of other coaches that were at the game, we're not really even in that league. May be wise to move on.

BTW, based on the other coaches that were there, I'd say we have zero chance at landing him.

With the first being the most recent, so it seems like it is getting better just not, much, I have a scholarship and more scouing trips en route and plan to send more right before signing, or is it not going to do anything, I could probably send 18 more max.  Should I stop?

Other people will correct me if I am wrong, but did you call his head coach?  If you aren't a backup option you can never pull him down, even if you send a million dollars to him.  Based on those messages I do not believe you are a backup option and I would spend your money elsewhere.
8/6/2014 4:19 PM
Definitely have to make sure you get a backup message from the coach call before you do anything else.

Also, always send the scholly offer with your initial burst of SVs.  It does make a difference.

Sometimes 10 isn't enough.  Bump it up to 15 if you're sure he gave you a backup message.  The negative messages indicate you're not very close yet, but they don't necessarily mean it can never happen.

8/6/2014 4:37 PM
this kid is off-limits to you, you are not on his backup list.  Move on before you waste all your money on him with evals.
8/6/2014 5:17 PM
12 Next ▸
Has anyone pulled down D1 recruits to D3? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.