Rescinding scholarship AND another player leaving Topic

Does anyone have the circumstances behind it? I was searching for some information on rescinding scholarships only to find out unexpectedly that another player could leave.

I'm currently at D-1 Nebraska entering my second season.

If i cut a junior, would it be someone from that same class that leaves? Or could it be anyone on the team?

Is it possible that someone that was recruited from the same state would leave?

What about cutting players that were recruited by another coach? Is it possible that someone that I recruited would leave?

My main concern is I want to avoid losing any players that I had recruited. All of the ones that I had recruited would be sophomores this season.

Is it all just random or are there circumstances behind it? What are the chances of someone else leaving in my situation?

10/12/2014 1:20 PM (edited)
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/12/2014 1:20:00 PM (view original):
Does anyone have the circumstances behind it? I was searching for some information on rescinding scholarships only to find out unexpectedly that another player could leave.

I'm currently at D-1 Nebraska entering my second season.

If i cut a junior, would it be someone from that same class that leaves? Or could it be anyone on the team?

Is it possible that someone that was recruited from the same state would leave?

What about cutting players that were recruited by another coach? Is it possible that someone that I recruited would leave?

My main concern is I want to avoid losing any players that I had recruited. All of the ones that I had recruited would be sophomores this season.

Is it all just random or are there circumstances behind it? What are the chances of someone else leaving in my situation?

i think it has to be someone from the same class, but im not sure if its the same class as in recruiting class or same class as in current class. but basically, if you are cutting a junior from the previous regime, your new players should all be safe. the chances of someone quitting in protest are very slim. in short, in your situation, it sounds perfectly safe.
10/12/2014 1:55 PM
I have been playing since 2006 and have cut players a lot.

NEVER had another guy leave.
10/12/2014 5:04 PM
Thanks gillispie, as always very helpful. I assumed there was some condition behind it and it couldn't have been that random.
10/12/2014 7:27 PM
I don't have personal experience with it, but I think the player you cut has to be one you actually signed in the first place before there's even the most remote chance of repercussion. If the player was a Sim-signed or part of a prior coach's class, I think you're completely in the clear. 

Either that or you can be the exception that proves the rule wrong ;) 
10/12/2014 8:15 PM
Posted by rednu on 10/12/2014 8:15:00 PM (view original):
I don't have personal experience with it, but I think the player you cut has to be one you actually signed in the first place before there's even the most remote chance of repercussion. If the player was a Sim-signed or part of a prior coach's class, I think you're completely in the clear. 

Either that or you can be the exception that proves the rule wrong ;) 
It's odd that I'm finding this out just now after playing this game for many years. I don't think it was ever in the developer chat or release notes, but could be wrong.
10/13/2014 12:20 AM
I cut a guy a couple seasons back and a teammate left

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=30&TopicID=478635&ThreadID=10506874#l_10506874
10/13/2014 12:29 AM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 10/13/2014 12:29:00 AM (view original):

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=30&TopicID=478635&ThreadID=10506874#l_10506874
Was it someone from the same class? Any commonalities between the 2 players?

I think in real life, you would get some type or hint or warning that if you cut a certain player someone else would leave. Especially if it's one of your star players. I'm not sure if that addition to the game was necessary, especially from a business standpoint.

10/13/2014 1:00 AM (edited)
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/13/2014 1:00:00 AM (view original):

I think in real life, you would get some type or hint or warning that if you cut a certain player someone else would leave. Especially if it's one of your star players. I'm not sure if that addition to the game was necessary, especially from a business standpoint.

I agree that it seems very harsh for a player to leave at random.  I think before this happens, a recruit should send you a message saying something like "if you cut one more of my teammates I'm gone".  That way you would have fair warning.

Although this seems to happen so infrequently its kind of a moot point anyway.

10/13/2014 1:07 AM
I cut four players a couple seasons ago and no other players left.
10/13/2014 12:02 PM
I should note that I seem to remember being told that if you cut a player you didn't recruit nothing bad can happen.

Source? I don't remember.
10/13/2014 12:20 PM
I have cut a player from a team before and a teammate left. I don't remember if he was in the same class, I just know I was upset about it and worry about that happening again every time I cut someone. 
10/13/2014 12:25 PM
I saw it happen once at D2. A conference mate cut a scrub player, and his star player ended up leaving and he ended up at D1. I think he had like a 750 rating. It was before recruiting started. I am under the impression that if you wait until after recruiting starts you are safe. But that definitely scared me off from cutting before recruiting starts.
10/13/2014 4:52 PM
Posted by clouseb on 10/13/2014 1:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/13/2014 1:00:00 AM (view original):

I agree that it seems very harsh for a player to leave at random.  I think before this happens, a recruit should send you a message saying something like "if you cut one more of my teammates I'm gone".  That way you would have fair warning.

Although this seems to happen so infrequently its kind of a moot point anyway.

i agree its harsh, not sure about the message part. IMO these small randoms that hit hard should just be removed from the game. its not fun for anyone. i understand its realistic that sometimes your star player gets badly injured during the NT, but how does that make the game more fun? it doesn't make it more fun for me when someone else suffers from something like that - i mean, maybe if im playing them in the NT finals, i might notice and be like, sweet. but i'd feel pretty ****** for that person too. all in all probably a wash - for me. totally sucks for them. i just don't see the point. its one thing to have random factors, that is necessary, but small probability big hit randoms just suck. you can't really plan for them, got to play the odds, so its just like, horrible. stuff it makes sense to plan for, like foul trouble, that is totally different.
10/13/2014 5:01 PM
Yeah - I have no idea if it is true or not, but just in case it is, I always wait until recruiting starts before cutting anyone.
10/13/2014 5:06 PM
12 Next ▸
Rescinding scholarship AND another player leaving Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.