Move to D1:Which Team? Topic

Finally making the move in Knight, and after researching every D1 team I'm eligible for I've narrowed it down to 3 in the Knight Mid-American Conference-Ohio, Eastern Michigan and Toledo.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=12975 Ohio

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=13053 Toledo

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=12850 Eastern Michigan

I only have 2 seasons of prior D1 experience, so my thoughts are from a relative newbie:

*Ohio looks like it's set up for an easier rebuild. Slow in the backcourt and solid in the frontcourt. Not world-beaters by any means, but a good starting point. Motion and M2M would be staying.

*Eastern Michigan would be the next buildable team. Again, not very talented in the backcourt but a good recruiting class fixes that. Another bonus is that they've never had a human Coach, so that would be cool. Flex and M2M would be staying.

*Toledo is on the list because my wife graduated from there. I'm not a fan of the Fastbreak offense, so it would have to go. The roster is thin as well. Definitely a major rebuild.

As I've said before, I know D1 is tough. My plan is to stay at one of these teams for 10 seasons maybe less) and see if I'm eligible to move up to a better conference prestige-wise. As always, I appreciate your input.
12/16/2014 9:14 AM
I'd go to Toledo. Not sure why you think they'd be the biggest rebuild, I think I could rebuild there quicker than the others.
12/16/2014 10:23 AM
I say that because I don't like switching Offensive/Defensive schemes at any level. But as people post I'm going to look over the teams they suggest and go from there. Maybe I'm looking at the rosters that are already in place instead of focusing on the potential rebuilds themselves. Thanks for the input car_crazy_v2.
12/16/2014 10:36 AM
In my opinion, the more important thing to look at than O/D schemes is location, and Ohio is in a FAR better location than Toledo or Eastern Michigan.  Ohio is in the SE part of the state, giving you access to PA, VA, WV, OH, , MI, KY, MD, and parts of NC and TN.  Toledo and E. Michigan are both bordered on the East by Lake Erie, limiting your recruiting in that direction.  And both schools are limited to the North by Canada.  Just my two cents.
12/16/2014 11:03 AM
Thanks darnoc29099
12/16/2014 11:08 AM
I've had the opportunity to coach at both Ohio U. and Western Michigan in Knight D1, and I would say Ohio would be a good bet. I echo what darnoc said-recruiting (for me) was easier at OU starting out than what it was at WMU. I'd go Ohio, EMU and them UT if you're set on the MAC.
12/16/2014 12:17 PM
p6453 You will have to build your team. I am about to do the same as you, get to D1. My thoughts will be these to be honest :

What's the prestige of the team, criteria numero uno.

Second, how many scholarships open, I want 5 to 6 to start the rebuilding asap.

Third, how many human coaches in the division (it's really important).

Fourth, am I in a spot where I have an advantage with recruiting, if so, it could be a good bet.

To me, the defense and offense are irrelevant at this point since I am will choose what I want to run in D1... I will ask around to see what is the most efficient at D1. But to be honest, I am prolly going FLEX/MAN in D1.

And my last criteria, let me be close to the canadian border! Hehe
12/16/2014 7:49 PM
I vote Eastern Michigan...went there for a year and the Virgin quality always gets me too...it'll just be awesome to see you in D1, Paul!
12/16/2014 10:34 PM
I might have chosen E. Michigan because of the virgin quality as well actually. Ultimately, I like to choose schools that I have some sort of connection to. Coaching at the school that you attend (or attended) makes it a little more fun and perhaps it will motivate you to not slack off in recruiting, gameplanning, etc. because some times DI rebuilds can be a little slow or frustrating.

That might mean Toledo is the right fit for you. Maybe you should try it out to experiment with an O/D that you're not comfortable with.

And if you're a good coach, you can rebuild quickly no matter where you are. I'd agree that Ohio is the best spot of the three for recruiting, but at least you won't have much competition at Toledo or EMU for any lower peninsula recruits.
12/16/2014 11:31 PM
Posted by car_crazy_v2 on 12/16/2014 11:32:00 PM (view original):
I might have chosen E. Michigan because of the virgin quality as well actually. Ultimately, I like to choose schools that I have some sort of connection to. Coaching at the school that you attend (or attended) makes it a little more fun and perhaps it will motivate you to not slack off in recruiting, gameplanning, etc. because some times DI rebuilds can be a little slow or frustrating.

That might mean Toledo is the right fit for you. Maybe you should try it out to experiment with an O/D that you're not comfortable with.

And if you're a good coach, you can rebuild quickly no matter where you are. I'd agree that Ohio is the best spot of the three for recruiting, but at least you won't have much competition at Toledo or EMU for any lower peninsula recruits.
Thanks car_crazy_v2
12/17/2014 4:49 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 12/16/2014 10:34:00 PM (view original):
I vote Eastern Michigan...went there for a year and the Virgin quality always gets me too...it'll just be awesome to see you in D1, Paul!
I knew the Virgin aspect would get you, colonels.
12/17/2014 4:50 AM
Weren't you battling some kind of illness not long ago that was going to require you to step away from the game? If it was you, it's very nice to see that you've recovered enough to be able to get back to small things like HD and not have to worry about the big things.

And I guess if that wasn't you I was thinking of, please disregard the above.
12/17/2014 10:43 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 12/17/2014 10:43:00 AM (view original):
Weren't you battling some kind of illness not long ago that was going to require you to step away from the game? If it was you, it's very nice to see that you've recovered enough to be able to get back to small things like HD and not have to worry about the big things.

emy1013...that was me. Thanks for remembering and for the kind words. I'm not 100%, but I'm trying to get there. Coaching my 5 year old son's basketball team and am back on the court myself. Glad to be able to play HD full-time and not have to worry about the "big things".

Thanks, emy. You're a class act.

Paul
12/17/2014 10:59 AM
Posted by p6453 on 12/17/2014 10:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 12/17/2014 10:43:00 AM (view original):

emy1013...that was me. Thanks for remembering and for the kind words. I'm not 100%, but I'm trying to get there. Coaching my 5 year old son's basketball team and am back on the court myself. Glad to be able to play HD full-time and not have to worry about the "big things".

Thanks, emy. You're a class act.

Paul
I thought that was you. Really glad to hear that you're doing well. Worrying about the big things is always so stressful, especially when there is a family and young child involved. I think it's just wonderful that you're able to spend time with your son like that and the fact that you've recovered well enough to get you yourself back out onto the court. Just great, great news.

The class act thing? Well, probably not so much in a few certain people's eyes, but everyone has their own opinion I guess. There are a few here that have the reputation of being class acts that I would probably be inclined to disagree with that assessment. But everyone has their own opinion I guess, ha ha.

Anyway, no need to get a war of words started with anyone. Get yourself all the way back to 100%, you can do it. I know I don't know you personally, but there's not a doubt in my mind. Just look at your son and use him as your motivation when you're having one of those "not-so-good" days. Do it for your boy.

Take care Paul, truly glad that you're getting yourself well and I know from having a young son myself that it is a tremendous weight off of his mind and a huge relief for him to see Dad feeling better. Dad's are like Superman to their boys and Superman doesn't get hurt, injured, or sick.

When you see him later, give him a great, big, giant hug. I guarantee you won't regret it and you know what, it'll probably make you feel just a little bit better too!! Have a wonderful day.
12/17/2014 11:26 AM
Annnnnnnnnd, back to the thread. Sorry for the slight detour.
12/17/2014 11:28 AM
12 Next ▸
Move to D1:Which Team? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.