D1 BCS coaches have it easy... Topic

Don't argue on who did what and who did not do what! The bottom line is that people in the top division with A+ rep. are really good. And they deserve it. I will find my way there. It takes time. You go from one project to another.
2/18/2015 7:15 PM
Posted by texrangers19 on 2/18/2015 8:59:00 AM (view original):
It is actually laughable how easy you guys have it in recruiting when compared to a non bcs school. Not eve sure where the challenge is for you guys..
To get back to your original point, the challenge is recruiting against the other big boys.....there aren't many real battles (something 1/8 top 50 recruits have multiple suitors) but when you get a good one it is fun.....the other challenge, is getting there......it isn't as &#160;easy as mr. cows thinks but I do agree with him that it takes a long time......you used to be able to get a midmajor &#160;but now unless you are the best of the best you have to work your way up to an A baseline school....<br />
2/18/2015 7:45 PM
Bow2, maybe I am whining a little but I don't ever plan on leaving my current school. It is my alma-mater. I could have moved several times...I hope for the day I can get two upsets in the tourney and make the s16. Then I can land a decent recruit and work from there.
2/18/2015 8:54 PM
Posted by bow2dacowz on 2/18/2015 3:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by texrangers19 on 2/18/2015 8:59:00 AM (view original):
It is actually laughable how easy you guys have it in recruiting when compared to a non bcs school. Not eve sure where the challenge is for you guys..
we did our time, stop whining.

and for the record, when you have enough A schools within a close enough radius it can absolutely get pretty interesting in recruiting, especially if you don't have 5 or 6 openings.
Wow, if you call racking up a .794 career win percentage by playing trash schedules for 210 out of 230 seasons, then yes, you've really did your time.

Combine that with other relevant criticisms about your coaching style, and even the term "path of least resistance" starts to fall short...
2/18/2015 9:02 PM
TrentonJoe earning my respect tonight...lol
2/18/2015 10:06 PM
Posted by bow2dacowz on 2/18/2015 7:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/18/2015 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Really?  Which program did you build up from nothing?

Milk's Elmhurst?
Fussy's Bloomsburg?
The empty Portland State?
Dac's Colorado?
or 
Joehof's LSU?

It's pretty much the same progression.

Youre a great coach broksi, better than me, but get off your high horse.....
My high horse? Who brought me and my accomplishments (or your perceived lack thereof) into this conversation? Oh wait, it was you.

When you're nearly 100 seasons in to all the 2 a day worlds, I doubt there are many good BCS jobs that haven't had multiple good coaches at them. The fact you want to hold that against someone is pretty stupid. With that said...The "empty" Portland State had several human coaches in the conference while I was there and I took them to a B+ and an Elite 8. Colorado was a C+ when I got there and an A when I left...so my success there was (with all due respect to a great coach) hardly dac's doing. Joehof? Great coach indeed. But the team I took over was half crappy sim recruits, and by the time they were recruited out the prestige had taken a hit.

Perhaps the better measure is to look at the programs I've been at and see how many of them have been left worse off than they were found. There may be one or two, but I bet there aren't many.

It's easy to chirp when you aren't doing it or haven't done it. As I said before the reality is that anyone can get where we are if they put in their time and are halfway decent at the game.

Bow is definitely one of the best coaches in the game in my opinion. Pretty hard to argue with a record of 5592-1449 (0.794), and 8 national championships. Even if you inherit a good program, that only lasts for a couple of years. And to be able to generate consistent title runs is definitely not easy. Plus, in Connecticut, he has to compete with Providence and Seton Hall, both of which are also A+ schools, Syracuse at A, and Boston College at A-. I have yet to win my first title at D1, so to win multiple ones is a big accomplishment at any school, at least in my opinion.
2/19/2015 12:36 AM (edited)
I haven't done it or even plan to do it, but allow me to "chirp" in here, bow2dacowz. It appears to me from what I've gathered reading the forums that it isn't as simple as putting your time in and if you're halfway decent you too can be a bcs powerhouse. Luck seems to have a fair hand at things as well. Not taking away from accomplishments either. Once you get there, what you do with it counts. But the hiring and firing proccesses appear to me anyway to make it more difficult to secure top jobs as time passes and coaches become entrenched at the top jobs. These facts turned me off to the idea of moving up several times I had entertained the idea. That, and the sheer absurdity recruiting becomes the higher you move up the ladder. Seriously, if coaches really spent more than 15 home visits on a recruit in real life he might be considered a stalker. But here coaches spend that much time in one recruiting cycle. It's a small cosmetic thing for sure, just another I just don't care to wrap my head arround. If that means I'm a crappy coach, so be it. I'll just continue to toil away at small D3 Buena Vista and be happy with the small successes.
2/19/2015 4:07 AM
Posted by texrangers19 on 2/18/2015 8:54:00 PM (view original):
Bow2, maybe I am whining a little but I don't ever plan on leaving my current school. It is my alma-mater. I could have moved several times...I hope for the day I can get two upsets in the tourney and make the s16. Then I can land a decent recruit and work from there.
Well, then you can expect to keep getting the same results.

The game is designed to be played within certain parameters and rules.  Recruiting at Div-1 is designed to be done in a certain way and the baseline prestige has certain impacts.

If you want to play at a non B (or better) baseline prestige school, then you can expect a certain maximum set of results.  You need to learn to live with those results or move to a different team.

There are 3 different games at Div-1 and there are 2 other games, one at Div-2 and another at Div-3.  You can pick the game you want to play, move to that group, then compete.  What you can not do is play the A+ prestige Div-1 game from a D baseline prestige school.  The choice is yours.
2/19/2015 7:37 AM
Hughes, I understand that, hence my comment. That was also just my  opinion and I know I choose to toil where it will most likely never get better. We will never win it all at D1 (my wallet will detail this) but we can be a consistent Top 25 team that can make a run to the s16 from time to time.

2/19/2015 8:36 AM
Like I said before DI BCS is BS. I made the postseason 10 years straight at Creighton and still was not qualified for a low end BCS. Been there 20 seasons.  What tex is saying like we all have SAID before is the recruiting generation is broke. I should be able to land some top recruits with my ex-Creighton team, but when a BCS school comes in with $140,000 something and unloads on a recruit the mid-major team can't counter attack. They just don't have the money to play with the big boys. But mid-major should be able to promise start and say hey I made post season 10 years in row, yet the (for ex) BC team that is recruiting you has not, but they have more money so he goes to BC.  It's all about the money and little about prestige. If you were a collge basketball player and mid-major (who made post season 15 years in row) was recruiting you and an ACC school (who hasn't made post season in 5 years) was recruiting you, the majority of the time the mid-major wins for a couple seasons then falls back in line.
2/19/2015 9:12 AM
Posted by terps21234 on 2/19/2015 9:12:00 AM (view original):
Like I said before DI BCS is BS. I made the postseason 10 years straight at Creighton and still was not qualified for a low end BCS. Been there 20 seasons.  What tex is saying like we all have SAID before is the recruiting generation is broke. I should be able to land some top recruits with my ex-Creighton team, but when a BCS school comes in with $140,000 something and unloads on a recruit the mid-major team can't counter attack. They just don't have the money to play with the big boys. But mid-major should be able to promise start and say hey I made post season 10 years in row, yet the (for ex) BC team that is recruiting you has not, but they have more money so he goes to BC.  It's all about the money and little about prestige. If you were a collge basketball player and mid-major (who made post season 15 years in row) was recruiting you and an ACC school (who hasn't made post season in 5 years) was recruiting you, the majority of the time the mid-major wins for a couple seasons then falls back in line.
How many McDonald's All Americans (in real life) are playing on Mid-Major teams that are not B baseline teams HERE ?  All I am saying is, one can plan and move into the better teams and this is realistic.  Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, UCLA, Arizona, etc. do get most of the really good recruits.  Big 6 teams get the majority of the other very good athletic recruits .. mid majors mostly get good players with flaws that play well within their programs.

Because of this bias, I also would rather play in Div-2 instead of Div-1 .. but it is realistic.

Scheduling and RPI is critical to bumping up your prestige to get a better job at Div-1.  How to bump up your RPI via scheduling is by picking teams who will get lots of wins, but who you can beat.  How I do this is I sort by Overall Wins (starting after about the 23rd game) ... then I pick teams who have what I consider to be low defense (which for Div-2, I look for lower than 53 as an average .. more like 63 for a Div-1 team).  If you can schedule teams that will get 20 or more wins that you can beat, that will get you a good RPI, which in turn will get you a better NT seed, which will allow more round one wins.

As I said before, I personally like Div-2 the best .. every team is equal (or has the ability to be, based on winning), and it does not have the inherent bias to a group of teams that there is in Div-1.  There is also enough money to get decent recruits and be able to scout, etc.  Div-3 also has no bias, but I want more recruiting cash.  So, I understand the appeal of Div-2 .. but one can build up a lower level Div-1 team, then take a CUSA or A10 team and build up to a good Div-1 team .. and from there jump into good BCS teams when they open up.

2/19/2015 11:00 AM
I think the real issue is that the big boys don't fight enough for the top recruits......if the A+'s had to spend 20-30k on each 4 star recruit they then wouldn't have the cash to take recruits from the mid-majors......as it is now, to many good recruits sign for for just a few thousand, leaving the upper crust to have enough money to inflict their will on the lower tier teams......
2/19/2015 11:02 AM
Also when are they going to update the conferences. A ton has changed since they made this game. My school should at least be in the CUSA which is much better than the Southland..Quite a bit of laziness at the old corporate office. I know they have to make it even but it can still be even and more accurate. 
2/19/2015 11:40 AM
Posted by texrangers19 on 2/19/2015 11:40:00 AM (view original):
Also when are they going to update the conferences. A ton has changed since they made this game. My school should at least be in the CUSA which is much better than the Southland..Quite a bit of laziness at the old corporate office. I know they have to make it even but it can still be even and more accurate. 
They may never update the conferences ... in order for schedules, etc., they need conferences with the same number of teams in 2 divisions.  So, they will pick a number of teams and a schedule, and that will be the way they set it up.  Each conference has 2 divisions, with 6 teams in each division.  That makes a schedule that works.

I am all for shifting conferences, but then the logic for schedules becomes much harder.  Because of this, I don't know if we will ever see it.

2/19/2015 1:12 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 2/19/2015 11:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by terps21234 on 2/19/2015 9:12:00 AM (view original):
How many McDonald's All Americans (in real life) are playing on Mid-Major teams that are not B baseline teams HERE ?  All I am saying is, one can plan and move into the better teams and this is realistic.  Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, UCLA, Arizona, etc. do get most of the really good recruits.  Big 6 teams get the majority of the other very good athletic recruits .. mid majors mostly get good players with flaws that play well within their programs.

Because of this bias, I also would rather play in Div-2 instead of Div-1 .. but it is realistic.

Scheduling and RPI is critical to bumping up your prestige to get a better job at Div-1.  How to bump up your RPI via scheduling is by picking teams who will get lots of wins, but who you can beat.  How I do this is I sort by Overall Wins (starting after about the 23rd game) ... then I pick teams who have what I consider to be low defense (which for Div-2, I look for lower than 53 as an average .. more like 63 for a Div-1 team).  If you can schedule teams that will get 20 or more wins that you can beat, that will get you a good RPI, which in turn will get you a better NT seed, which will allow more round one wins.

As I said before, I personally like Div-2 the best .. every team is equal (or has the ability to be, based on winning), and it does not have the inherent bias to a group of teams that there is in Div-1.  There is also enough money to get decent recruits and be able to scout, etc.  Div-3 also has no bias, but I want more recruiting cash.  So, I understand the appeal of Div-2 .. but one can build up a lower level Div-1 team, then take a CUSA or A10 team and build up to a good Div-1 team .. and from there jump into good BCS teams when they open up.

This tactic is becoming more and more difficult as more people use it.  As more people use this strategy these teams that used to win 18-20 games are now going 2-8 or worse in the non-con
2/19/2015 3:13 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
D1 BCS coaches have it easy... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.