Average potential scouting messages - high vs. low Topic

Has anyone categorized the average potential messages between low and high?

I know sometimes I have recruited guys that hit the high average potential (I guess that would be increase of 15-19) and other times low average potential (approximately 8-14).

There is the well used and shared spreadsheet for average high potentials and high-high potentials.  Has anyone made one for average potentials?  As I think about it, I'm not even sure it's possible to tell from the scouting messages?

Thanks

7/29/2015 12:00 PM
You cannot tell.  Average ("Black") means between 7-20.9.  

A nice simple change would be to add a ST response that gave you an split of high average & low average at above/below 14.   I think it would be reasonable to argue that scouts can tell when a guy already has hit his ceiling and when a guy is "raw", but that there would be a ton of guesswork in the middle.  Still, a nice easy change that I would like to see (right after D1 job logic and D1 recruit generation are fixed...).
7/29/2015 12:28 PM
Rogelio : what is the problem with D1 recruit generation? D1 job logic and the other change, I am all in favor.
7/29/2015 12:40 PM
Posted by zorzii on 7/29/2015 12:40:00 PM (view original):
Rogelio : what is the problem with D1 recruit generation? D1 job logic and the other change, I am all in favor.
If you look through the top D1 teams, you'll find that there are WAY too many elite post players generated in the game.  Think about IRL and how you would place players on a scale of 1-100 in each category.  How many 90+ across the board PFs & Cs would you figure?  There may be 3 on Kentucky each year (if they stuck around for a couple seasons to develop), but otherwise there might be 6 or 7 total.  

What would Jahlil Okafor be?  85 ATH, 80 REB, 75 DEF, 70 SB, 100 LP?   Each Big 6 conference has about 10 guys better than that.  How many M2M defensive teams have all players with 96+ DEF ratings and 96+ ATH IRL???  Any?  In HD there are like 5 or 6 in each world.  

Obviously the numbers don't mean much except in relation to each other, but too many recruits are elite.  If the game ratings were distributed properly, then, for instance, you might have good D3 players with overall core ratings (ATH, DEF) ~= 50; D2 ~= 65; D1 ~= 80, but there would be a few players that are separate.   There would never be whole teams in the 95+ range.  Further, remember that if the recruits start very high, then who cares about scouting!  FSS is plenty if the initial rating is over 73.  Scouting is irrelevant!  

So, that's just one take on it.  The engine wouldn't need to be fixed, but there needs to be a lot fewer elite level recruits.  The simulation would handle it and the recruiting budgets of top-tier schools would get blown fighting over that scarce resource.  If players looked relatively similar, then a few with dramatic potential could be hidden in among them as well.  Those might get overlooked (maybe) and go to mid-major schools.  You never know.  
7/29/2015 1:08 PM
thanks for the info!
7/30/2015 9:12 AM
Thanks Rogelio. honestly, in Tark this season (I am at La Salle), I could not sign any PF/C that will make me competitive enough. I did take two decent ones, but we all know, if you want some upsets, you need more than decent forwards. At IUPUI, I did manage to find two excellent ones when I was there. I even had one that probably would of started on a lot of big six schools as a junior or a senior. He was my best player by far. But on six season recruiting, I only got two. It means big six schools are just getting all of them and we, low-end teams, battle for the remaining ones... and there aren't a lot of them. This season, there were four that I looked at and it finished in three teams battles in all, except on one that was very tight right from the start from a B rep team.

7/30/2015 9:43 AM
Posted by rogelio on 7/29/2015 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 7/29/2015 12:40:00 PM (view original):
If you look through the top D1 teams, you'll find that there are WAY too many elite post players generated in the game.  Think about IRL and how you would place players on a scale of 1-100 in each category.  How many 90+ across the board PFs & Cs would you figure?  There may be 3 on Kentucky each year (if they stuck around for a couple seasons to develop), but otherwise there might be 6 or 7 total.  

What would Jahlil Okafor be?  85 ATH, 80 REB, 75 DEF, 70 SB, 100 LP?   Each Big 6 conference has about 10 guys better than that.  How many M2M defensive teams have all players with 96+ DEF ratings and 96+ ATH IRL???  Any?  In HD there are like 5 or 6 in each world.  

Obviously the numbers don't mean much except in relation to each other, but too many recruits are elite.  If the game ratings were distributed properly, then, for instance, you might have good D3 players with overall core ratings (ATH, DEF) ~= 50; D2 ~= 65; D1 ~= 80, but there would be a few players that are separate.   There would never be whole teams in the 95+ range.  Further, remember that if the recruits start very high, then who cares about scouting!  FSS is plenty if the initial rating is over 73.  Scouting is irrelevant!  

So, that's just one take on it.  The engine wouldn't need to be fixed, but there needs to be a lot fewer elite level recruits.  The simulation would handle it and the recruiting budgets of top-tier schools would get blown fighting over that scarce resource.  If players looked relatively similar, then a few with dramatic potential could be hidden in among them as well.  Those might get overlooked (maybe) and go to mid-major schools.  You never know.  
I like a lot of this and you've probably posted it somewhere before, but I think you should make this its own thread with an easily searchable title so folks can find and refer to it when talk of suggestions comes up. Maybe seble will eventually see it even...
7/30/2015 11:21 AM
Posted by carl3298 on 7/29/2015 12:01:00 PM (view original):

Has anyone categorized the average potential messages between low and high?

I know sometimes I have recruited guys that hit the high average potential (I guess that would be increase of 15-19) and other times low average potential (approximately 8-14).

There is the well used and shared spreadsheet for average high potentials and high-high potentials.  Has anyone made one for average potentials?  As I think about it, I'm not even sure it's possible to tell from the scouting messages?

Thanks

Do you have a link to that "well used and shared spreadsheet for average high potentials and high-high potentials" ?? 
7/30/2015 2:16 PM
7/30/2015 2:25 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 7/30/2015 2:25:00 PM (view original):
HIGHS
Thanks! :)     

7/31/2015 8:22 AM
Average potential scouting messages - high vs. low Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.