whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

Posted by favre3xmvp on 8/22/2015 11:24:00 PM (view original):
I am surprised a busy person like shawnfucious has time to read and pontificate on a sports website. We should all count ourselves blessed to have this wisdom sent our way.
I manage to fit quite a few things into my busy days.

While it's certainly nice to hear you think my words constitute wisdom, I wouldn't rate them quite so highly, as they are merely my opinions, but how you feel is up to you.

8/23/2015 10:41 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 8/22/2015 11:32:00 PM (view original):
I'm curious as to which jobs require 100 percent attention...

I can come up with:
- air traffic controller.
- assembly line automaker.
- someone who monitors security cameras to catch shoplifters.
- saw mill operator.
- phone company switchboard operator, back before computers could interpret voice commands.
Every job should be given 100 percent effort.  Those who aren't willing to give that should be replaced by someone with similar qualifications who will. While there are some situations where there is no one else with similar qualifications, they are rare.

Giving 100 percent attention is an entirely different subject.

8/23/2015 10:43 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/23/2015 10:54:00 AM (view original):
Because the "quotes" are getting ridiculously large...shawnfoolish said...

"If there's not enough work, then most times that means someone isn't doing their job somewhere.

If I ever have nothing to do, it always means it's because I was very productive, because there is a lot to do.

If you have no work to do and you ask for more work to do and none can be provided, you aren't stealing anything. You've done what you can to be productive."

Your first sentence doesn't make sense.  You have a really bad habit of not making sense.  You're a pompous *** and comments like these continually prove it.  I highly doubt you've ever asked for more work to do, IJS.

Please do not resort to changing my username to something else in a ridiculous attempt to insult me. It only serves to show your insecurity.

What part of my sentence do you not understand? I ask because there is nothing wrong with the statement - it makes perfect sense.

None of my comments lead to any logical conclusion I'm being pompous. You are making that up because you disagree with me but have no substance behind said disagreement. You are aware you have nothing to support your disagreement so you attack me personally instead of just leaving it alone. So please, just stop.

8/23/2015 10:47 PM
Posted by possumfiend on 8/23/2015 12:20:00 PM (view original):
shawnfucious, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here in this thread? I can come up with a whole slew of reasons on my own but my reasons are all conjecture. Seriously, what is your endgame? What do you hope will come from all of this?
I'm simply responding to the topic at hand and then to the comments that are made.

8/23/2015 10:48 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/23/2015 5:28:00 PM (view original):
the guy already admitted he was wrong, let's just move on
Who admitted they were wrong? Please quote or link this, as I haven't seen anyone do so yet.
8/23/2015 10:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by shawnfucious on 8/23/2015 10:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 8/23/2015 10:54:00 AM (view original):
Because the "quotes" are getting ridiculously large...shawnfoolish said...

"If there's not enough work, then most times that means someone isn't doing their job somewhere.

If I ever have nothing to do, it always means it's because I was very productive, because there is a lot to do.

If you have no work to do and you ask for more work to do and none can be provided, you aren't stealing anything. You've done what you can to be productive."

Your first sentence doesn't make sense.  You have a really bad habit of not making sense.  You're a pompous *** and comments like these continually prove it.  I highly doubt you've ever asked for more work to do, IJS.

Please do not resort to changing my username to something else in a ridiculous attempt to insult me. It only serves to show your insecurity.

What part of my sentence do you not understand? I ask because there is nothing wrong with the statement - it makes perfect sense.

None of my comments lead to any logical conclusion I'm being pompous. You are making that up because you disagree with me but have no substance behind said disagreement. You are aware you have nothing to support your disagreement so you attack me personally instead of just leaving it alone. So please, just stop.

Don't be foolish, Shawn...you know that first sentence doesn't make sense.  How does you not having enough work mean that someone else is messing up?  I mean, ltm...don't be foolish.......

8/23/2015 11:34 PM
While in principle I agree with Shawn and understand what he is trying to say, I do believe he is painting with too broad a brush on some of these things. There are so many nuanced situations which can be used as exceptions to what he is saying, but in general I believe that a worker should, ideally, be giving 100% effort.

Do I have a reasonable expectation of that happening? No. I know I slack sometimes. It happens, we're humans. So while I don't think Shawn's wrong in the ideology he is talking about, I also don't think anyone else is wrong to disagree based on different situations and the basic human condition. 
8/23/2015 11:53 PM
Posted by shawnfucious on 8/21/2015 9:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by fd343ny on 8/21/2015 9:52:00 AM (view original):
is it wrong - morally - for WIS to provide the alternative site?

for those who regard it as stealing when one handles personnel matters while at work, is WIS enabling or assisting that theft?  

And are those who patronize WIS supporting an enabler of theft?  follow the money, does the bright line of wrongdoing reach WIS and WIS patrons?
It is WIS job to ensure you have the best access to their site so you will remain a loyal customer.

I'm not sure who said they regard personal matters as stealing. I didn't notice anyone post that particular line of reasoning.

However, if your employer has not given you permission to use their equipment/connection to play games and you do so anyway, then you are stealing. While WIS is providing the access, it is your choice to use it in a manner which is stealing from your employer.

The same reasoning can be applied to other situations. Budweiser is not responsible for every drunk driver who consumed their beer to get drunk. McDonald's is not responsible for obesity and heart attacks because people who ate there are fat or die of cardiac arrest.

Those people are responsible for their own choices - and so the people stealing from their employer are responsible for theirs as well.
not a compelling answer here

shawn continues - I assume - to patronize WIS despite his view that the mirror site is a method that enables stealing by others.  Does it have another purpose - in shawn world view?  Enabling and supporting stealing must be at least as wrong as stealing.  Is it any different from someone who comes into shawn's workplace and provides a way for people to loaf undetected?

By the way, personal matters would be covered by a host of shawn posts that insist that workers should devote 100 percent of their attention to work.  Is there a moral difference between not working while playing WIS or not working while knitting on the job?  Surely the mere use of the device isnt the moral difference.

But that is detail

I wonder whether anyone other than shawn plays WIS at his workplace?

8/24/2015 9:42 AM (edited)
Posted by the0nlyis on 8/23/2015 11:08:00 PM (view original):
there is absolutely 0 people in the world giving 100% effort into their job, it is impossible to give 100% at your job at any point in time.  Shawn I gaurentee you do not give 100% every single second you are on the job.

I assume you take at least 1 if not 2 or 3 bathroom breaks, sorry you don't give 100% when you go to the bathroom you can hold it in until you go on break or go home.  Sorry you went on break?  I bet we could find someone willing to do your job with no breaks.  Oh you yawned this morning, probably 2 seconds wasted at work, you shouldnt waste time yawning.

You views are delusional and unpopular, its honestly just amazing and hilariously funny to ready every new post you submit.
I think this sums up why everyone is arguing with Shawn. No one believes it's possible to give 100% every single day of your life.

@Shawn don't you have brief, casual conversations sometimes at work? Or does that simply not happen with you? Here's an example of how I imagine it-

Employee- "Hello Boss. How was your weekend? You went to the lake with the wife and kids right? How'd the weather hold up for you?"
Shawn- "Go away! I have work to do!" *slams door*
8/24/2015 6:52 PM
Posted by Benis on 8/24/2015 6:52:00 PM (view original):
there is absolutely 0 people in the world giving 100% effort into their job, it is impossible to give 100% at your job at any point in time.  Shawn I gaurentee you do not give 100% every single second you are on the job.

I assume you take at least 1 if not 2 or 3 bathroom breaks, sorry you don't give 100% when you go to the bathroom you can hold it in until you go on break or go home.  Sorry you went on break?  I bet we could find someone willing to do your job with no breaks.  Oh you yawned this morning, probably 2 seconds wasted at work, you shouldnt waste time yawning.

You views are delusional and unpopular, its honestly just amazing and hilariously funny to ready every new post you submit.
I think this sums up why everyone is arguing with Shawn. No one believes it's possible to give 100% every single day of your life.

@Shawn don't you have brief, casual conversations sometimes at work? Or does that simply not happen with you? Here's an example of how I imagine it-

Employee- "Hello Boss. How was your weekend? You went to the lake with the wife and kids right? How'd the weather hold up for you?"
Shawn- "Go away! I have work to do!" *slams door*
i think its actually because hes condescending to everyone, saying its ridiculous anyone is checking HD at work, when he knows nothing of anyone else's situation.
8/24/2015 7:04 PM

This is so wrong.  When I work I give 110%.  
8/24/2015 7:08 PM
Posted by shawnfucious on 8/23/2015 10:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/23/2015 5:28:00 PM (view original):
the guy already admitted he was wrong, let's just move on
Who admitted they were wrong? Please quote or link this, as I haven't seen anyone do so yet.
you didn't explicitly admit you were wrong, but all the pieces are there. you initially took a position, and agreed with future statements in direct conflict. you didn't explicitly admit fault but you walked back on the original statement nonetheless which is really enough for me. my point is made, your is in tatters. 

to clarify -
paraphrasing, your initial position was nobody should be playing games at work, that it was improper and somewhat mind boggling that anyone would do that, and more, that those doing it were at fault.

later, you agreed if it was allowable at work to play on break, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, and also, that you really didn't know anything about if anyone else was in that situation or not. these two stand in direct conflict. there's really nothing more to say, you oversimplified, generalized, and were wrong. you admitted there was more to it, if you won't admit that proves you wrong, well there's really nothing else to say. i won't convince you, and you won't convince me or anyone else that you weren't wrong and that you haven't implicitly admitted it. but trust that its abundantly clear to the rest of us that you are in direct conflict with yourself with that combination of statements.

bottom line - you know nothing of anyone's situation, as you agreed. there are normal (read: in the normal range - i never suggested one normal situation precluded other normal situations, as you incorrectly presumed - i merely was saying its in the normal range, as in, you can't rule out that scenario as a theoretical possibility with fringe real world application. but its not really surprising you did so, given your failure here is trying to impose a black and white paradigm on the complexity that exists in real issues in the real world)  - anyway, there are normal situations in which folks could, without doing wrong, use HD at work. you agreed with this, while nitpicking the use of the word normal in a ridiculous and logically flawed manner. regardless - the combination of the two make it blatantly flawed to suggest that everyone who plays at work is at fault, or at the least, to wonder incredulously how anyone could possibly see fit to log into HD at work. 

its really no more complicated than that.
8/24/2015 7:12 PM
Posted by bullman17 on 8/24/2015 7:08:00 PM (view original):

This is so wrong.  When I work I give 110%.  
if you're not early, you are late

if you dont give 112%, you arent giving 100%

8/24/2015 9:32 PM

I already said I give 100 percent effort, so unless you didn't read that, you knew your first sentence was wrong even as you typed it.  Your second sentence is also wrong and is pointless unless you want to show that your guarantees mean nothing.

If someone needs to use the restroom, doing so often increases productivity, as one typically isn't as productive if they are preoccupied with the idea of needing to use the restroom. This renders your idea on restroom breaks moot at a minimum, if not entirely wrong.

Your attempts to create a strawman by exaggerating my position aren't working.

My views are based upon sound reasoning. I don't care if you think they are popular, nor if they actually are popular here on this gaming website message board.

I find it sad that any adult would find it "hilariously funny" to read someone encouraging a good work ethic.  The attitude you express here is a part of what is wrong with America - to think, not only do you not advocate working hard, but you laugh at the mere idea. What a backward concept you embrace, and the worst of it is you have no idea how backward it is.

8/25/2015 8:48 AM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...25 Next ▸
whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.