How Did You Find HD and Select Your World? Topic

I was wondering how people here heard of HD?
Also, how did you go about choosing the HD World that you play in?

For me, i had read an blurb about What If Sports years ago, but it was more about having two historic teams compete against one another. So i never visited the site, and didn't know that HD existed.

By chance, i stumbled across HD in mid-Sept 2013. I was surfing for Big East news and schedules on the Fox Sports website, because they were going to be televising BE games starting that November. While clicking around i saw a Hoops Dynasty banner that caught my attention. It kept popping up in the margin of several pages i had visited, so i eventually clicked it.

The intro video was appealing and the concept seemed really cool. The graphics, recruiting, and conference and schedule set-ups seemed really well-thought-out. Climbing the ladder to Div-1 seemed appealing too. And all for a semi-reasonable price.

Randomly, the Crum World was taking new owners that day, so i joined that world and have been there for 14 or so Crum seasons.

I heard good things about 2-a-day worlds, so i tried Knight one season, but found that i couldn't keep up with the quick pace... the 2pm game times approached too quickly for me, and i couldn't easily research my opponent and adjust my settings.

I then found the downtime between Crum seasons to be kinda long, especially since i never made any kind of NT run. So i picked up a second team to keep my HD mind fresh, this time in Wooden, because it is staggered with Crum by around 17 days.

In Wooden, i had a good Div-3 run, but lost a killer first-round OT heartbreaker in the NT to the eventual National Champions. With another good team the following year, i was upset in the CT quarterfinals by a ghost team. So i screwed up a couple of good opportunities. In the offseason, the Connecticut College admin downgraded me to "meeting expectations", leading me to want to leave the Camels, those unappreciative punks!

So on a whim i jumped to Div-2 (broke from my plan of staying in Div-3 til i won at least one game in the NT), into a tough California conference where i have gotten whacked pretty badly so far in a rebuild. Also, i like Div-3 a little more, so will step away from Wooden and join Naismith Div-3 next year (staggered 11 days with Crum, and has a popular Div-3 from what I've read), and will stay there at least until i win my first ever NT game in Div-3. NT in Crum I'm 0-5 (0-2 in Div-3, 0-3 in Div 2), Knight Div-3 I'm 0-1, Wooden Div-3 I'm 0-2. That's 0-8 total.... I'm still curious to know if that's the most NT losses without an NT win...?

Anyway, that's my HD background. Still a huge fan of Crum World. Man, i think i talk too much.

8/15/2015 9:13 AM (edited)
Hehe, I had the same experience. I was checking basketball infos, stumbled into that SIM game. Check it out and thought it was great. I paid the 4$ or so, got a team, and It was Rupp. I chose Clarkson DIII, for no other reasons that it had a stud SF. The guy was a SR over 650 rating at DIII. He sucked because he could not play defense but heck he scored. I think he averaged 23 a game that season but we only won 7 games. I knew nothing about the game so I went on to DII, destroying Truman St. and having two seasons so bad, It was pathetic. Then I started to join two days worlds and learn the game. I am still Learning and trying stuff out.
8/15/2015 9:33 AM
I heard about WIS on Lance McAllister's radio program. He interviewed the founder.

At that time, they were starting a new world, Iba. So I picked Transylvania, the nearest DIII school to my home.  81 seasons later, I've been their only coach
8/15/2015 3:50 PM (edited)
For a decade now, I've run my own computer model that predicts college football game results vs. the point spread and straight up. I'm naturally curious to compare it against against other models and predictions, so I found WIS because of their weekly game predictions in-season for CFB and the NFL and quickly discovered the game section . As for why I chose the world I did...it was the first one that was cycling to new teams after I found the site (boring story, patience not my strong suit and, hey, it was Naismith, so it was kind of karma to start the game there...)
8/15/2015 12:30 PM
Al I am in the same boat as you. Heard about the game from Lance as well. I know he was on here under the name SHOTGUN. Not sure if he still plays or not.
8/15/2015 4:39 PM
I was around when it was created and reserved a team in Naismith in Feb 2004 since it was the only world...it kicked off in May I think
8/15/2015 7:53 PM
Bill Simmons wrote about his MLB simleague teams back in his early BSG years. I joined in 2001, before there was HD. When I first started HD I would just select worlds that started the soonest.
8/15/2015 8:10 PM
I also heard about it from Lance McAlister here in Cincinnati on the radio (1530 Homer).  Lance does not appear to play any longer.  He didn't look very good when I saw his teams…. naturally, he was coached Butler.
8/15/2015 8:33 PM
I heard about it from a friend already playing and I joined the world and conference he was in........because he hates to lose at anything.
8/15/2015 8:39 PM
About three years ago I went to a Statistics conference at Miami (OH) and one of the presentations was about WhatifSports. When I got back I created a username and tried out some of the free trials of Sim League Basketball, Football, and Baseball. I was having fun with those but they can only offer so much so I decided to try out HD. Allen was accepting job applications so that is the world I started in.
8/15/2015 9:35 PM
I love college basketball and somehow got the idea to look for college basketball online games and this came up. So I tried it. I picked Tark because I'm a a UNLV alumnus but also I think that was the first world to come up. I was really bad those early seasons at California Tech. Typically 1 and 2 win seasons. It took a very long time for me to get to respectability and its still only so so. Had teams at one point in Naismath, Iba, Rupp, and Smith in addition to the three two a day worlds but it was too much to keep track of. I couldn't remember which players were on which teams. Plus I HATE one a day worlds. The seasons take so freaking long. Also tried D2 and D1 and hated both. So I settled with my three D3 programs in two a day worlds and seems to suit me. Still searching for a national title. Maybe one day.
8/15/2015 9:35 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 8/15/2015 8:10:00 PM (view original):
Bill Simmons wrote about his MLB simleague teams back in his early BSG years. I joined in 2001, before there was HD. When I first started HD I would just select worlds that started the soonest.
wow, that's early!
8/16/2015 9:42 PM
I think I joined IBA in December of 2004 only because it was the next available season with openings. I want to say I saw an ad on CBS Sportsline maybe?
8/16/2015 9:43 PM
I was playing another college basketball sim, few years ago this was. I loved the idea of building a team and completing against real people who were also building their own teams. I became addicted quickly. Two years after I started, the site went down for maintenance, and the completion date kept getting pushed back. Three months. Six months. Within the year. Maybe just after a year. Anyway, I didn't want to wait however long it might take to come back. I did a Google search for other sims and found this place. I wasn't prepared for the price (the other sim I was playing was only about $7 a month), but once I watched the video and looked around HD, I knew the price was more than worth it.

I've been here six months now. HD is the most complete, most extensive sports sim I've ever played. I've also gotten my brother addicted.
8/17/2015 11:19 AM
Same as others. I love simulation games and googled basketball sim games and this one came up. Compared this to 2 others and this was by far the best one. I got into the first world available and have added since then.
8/17/2015 12:08 PM
12 Next ▸
How Did You Find HD and Select Your World? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.