Veteran Owners Who Co-Coach Other Teams... Topic

I think it would be a good idea if veteran owners provide a list of the teams and owners that they have agreements with to co-coach their teams. I'm not sure how often this occurs, but there have been hints of co-coaching, and it's within the rules, but i think that we should be transparent.

This kind of piggybacks off the poaching thread. I think it's important because it can determine whether i would be willing to get in a recruiting battle. A key factor in battling is to see if a coach is new to my division, where i think i may have the upper hand. However, if i know a rookie coach has a veteran on speed dial, then i will tend to cautiously and carefully back away.

Thanks guys.
1/17/2016 11:03 PM (edited)
I dont think there are alot of co-coaches. Some new players have mentors and sometimes vacations or personal matters require a player to ask for a temporary stand in. Even if there were alot of co-coaches, I am not sure that would help you much. Recruiting still comes down to doing what you think is right, sometimes it doesnt work out in your favor.
1/18/2016 12:54 AM
i started co-coaching a couple years back, as a way to sort of get back into the game, when i wasn't sure i could handle a team of my own. it was great, it let me get involved when i wanted to, but if i was busy or burnt out, the other coach was there. between the two of us, it was always easy to cover everything. i actually really enjoy it, its pretty fun, to go through it all with someone else. one of the 3, we sort of split the duties, the other 2, we do things together. the latter is definitely better, IMO.

here are the teams i co-coach:
florida state with storm69 in knight
michigan state with dacj501 in rupp
maryland with jjwarden in, i don't know, some 1/day world. its the only world he plays in though.

i always have announced the situation when joining with a coach or when we move to a new conference, so at least the conference folks would realize it. i will sometimes post on those accounts with (CBG) before my post so people know when its me. seems to work out pretty well. i do agree with taniajane, i don't think there are a lot of co-coaches, i only know of a few outside of the ones i am involved in. i wouldn't worry about it too much. i suspect most folks are open about the co-coaching agreements, there's really no reason not to be.
1/18/2016 9:06 AM
there are also things like The Firm co-coaching with a group of coaches, I think (If they still exist) but I don't know what world...
1/18/2016 9:21 AM
The Firm is in Wooden.
1/18/2016 10:04 AM
Is it considered co-coaching if you have two people who share 1 account and don't have any other accounts? My best friend and I have been doing this for years. It's a great way to get everything done even if one of us is gone for a weekend or something.
1/18/2016 11:02 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
makes me wonder why I ever bother showing posts from people I've blocked...probably a reason I blocked them in the first place...
1/18/2016 2:13 PM
where do the terms of fair use say or even imply that two people cant run a team together?  a team cant be a family project?  why?
1/18/2016 2:21 PM
Posted by taniajane on 1/18/2016 12:54:00 AM (view original):
I dont think there are alot of co-coaches. Some new players have mentors and sometimes vacations or personal matters require a player to ask for a temporary stand in. Even if there were alot of co-coaches, I am not sure that would help you much. Recruiting still comes down to doing what you think is right, sometimes it doesnt work out in your favor.
This may be the first time I have actually agreed with a post by Taniajane. 
1/18/2016 2:42 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 1/18/2016 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 1/18/2016 9:06:00 AM (view original):
i started co-coaching a couple years back, as a way to sort of get back into the game, when i wasn't sure i could handle a team of my own. it was great, it let me get involved when i wanted to, but if i was busy or burnt out, the other coach was there. between the two of us, it was always easy to cover everything. i actually really enjoy it, its pretty fun, to go through it all with someone else. one of the 3, we sort of split the duties, the other 2, we do things together. the latter is definitely better, IMO.

maryland with jjwarden in, i don't know, some 1/day world. its the only world he plays in though.

i always have announced the situation when joining with a coach or when we move to a new conference, so at least the conference folks would realize it. i will sometimes post on those accounts with (CBG) before my post so people know when its me. seems to work out pretty well. i do agree with taniajane, i don't think there are a lot of co-coaches, i only know of a few outside of the ones i am involved in. i wouldn't worry about it too much. i suspect most folks are open about the co-coaching agreements, there's really no reason not to be.
I feel like this is a HUGE fight that we've had plenty of times before...just repackaged under a slightly different premise than previously. Just to get out the old personal **** off the top, it's really telling that billy frames this scenario "as if it's no big deal" almost exactly the same way he did the last time. Now, as for why many people could see this as a big deal is because they are not elite coaches and the prospect of having to compete against not only one elite coach but two in the same team in the same world is very daunting (if not downright unfair to them), and which could go equally as well for accomplished coaches in the same world.

The argument that it happens so infrequently (which is not a positive or factual statement to say the least) is not a argument that it is still fair or within the guidelines of WIS.

...don't plan on fighting this good fight myself, just didn't want this to float through unchecked.
Much ado about nothing.  I normally agree with you about almost everything you post, but this, well not about this.
1/18/2016 2:48 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 1/18/2016 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 1/18/2016 9:06:00 AM (view original):

I feel like this is a HUGE fight that we've had plenty of times before...just repackaged under a slightly different premise than previously. Just to get out the old personal **** off the top, it's really telling that billy frames this scenario "as if it's no big deal" almost exactly the same way he did the last time. Now, as for why many people could see this as a big deal is because they are not elite coaches and the prospect of having to compete against not only one elite coach but two in the same team in the same world is very daunting (if not downright unfair to them), and which could go equally as well for accomplished coaches in the same world.

The argument that it happens so infrequently (which is not a positive or factual statement to say the least) is not a argument that it is still fair or within the guidelines of WIS.

...don't plan on fighting this good fight myself, just didn't want this to float through unchecked.
i guess i don't see the two being related at all. two teams per world, there is a clear collusion risk. two coaches per team has no such collusion risk, its still one team, one set of resources. 

as always, our disagreement centers around the fact that this is a for-fun game, not a for-profit game like poker (with meaningful stakes). its fun to co-coach a team with someone. thats the driver. why put a stop to that? you have to have a good reason, or else you are just being a grouch. i decided to try co-coaching because others told me stories about it, and it sounded like a lot of fun. it didn't sound unfair or a way to get ahead, it sounded fun.

without getting into specifics, its probably worth a cursory mention that i am involved with 4 BCS programs. three of those i co-coach, and are the three least successful. yet, i definitely would not say the enjoyment of those programs has tracked the success, as it usually does. the least successful program of that bunch may have been the most fun, i think its close really, but its a contender. long story short, you are suggesting there's a problem because co-coaching may correlate to higher success; its demonstrably not the case in my limited experience, and doesn't seem to be in the stories i am familiar with, but what i HAVE seen, is a correlation with enjoyment. no reason to start a battle against fun...
1/18/2016 5:30 PM (edited)
As a side issue to co-coaching, and i guess this is another concern:
(and this fine in HD, but i'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe)...

The mentoring program...
Really several questions:
1. Can a veteran mentor a new coach who plays in the same world?
2. Whether or not they're in the same world, at what point is the mentoring supposed to stop, if ever?
3. Should an owner that is getting mentored have to share that information with his opponents in a division?

This gets back to needing to understand your competitors' capabilities, and knowing which recruiting battles to maybe avoid. For example, if 4 new owners join D3 Naismith and asked to be mentored, and they all chose teams in New England near my Albertus team, it would be unfair to me if i didnt know that 1000-win veterans were on speed dial to each of these new owners.

This also applies to my low-level D1 Holy Cross team.

Thanks guys, I'll hang up and listen to your answers on the radio.
1/18/2016 5:54 PM (edited)
Posted by therewas47 on 1/18/2016 11:02:00 AM (view original):
Is it considered co-coaching if you have two people who share 1 account and don't have any other accounts? My best friend and I have been doing this for years. It's a great way to get everything done even if one of us is gone for a weekend or something.
Hi therewas, that sounds fine.
1/18/2016 5:50 PM
12345 Next ▸
Veteran Owners Who Co-Coach Other Teams... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.