Tark four peat D1 (Kansas) Topic

Will Gil do it? He needs a win against JWinner (third champ game, lost 107 to Kansas). I know Michigan State wants to end the domination of that Kansas squad! Gil would win four in a row, five of the last six. Amazingly good. Last year was Kansas weakest squad. This year team is better IMO.

Good luck.
3/28/2016 10:18 AM
congrats to billy for the 2nd all time 4 peat? Now is a 5 peat out of the question, I doubt it.
3/29/2016 7:38 AM
Congrats Gil. You have mastered D1, you've been on top. Now, I am coming to Kansas State!

An OT WIN? Ouch for JWinner. He has been incredibly good too.
3/29/2016 8:08 AM (edited)
Pretty amazing feat! Congrads!
3/29/2016 9:41 AM
It's interesting to note that his teams don't overstress ballhandling. His highest player is 83.

Congrats!
3/29/2016 1:25 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 3/29/2016 1:26:00 PM (view original):
It's interesting to note that his teams don't overstress ballhandling. His highest player is 83.

Congrats!
thanks, i would caution on the BH thing, though. don't extrapolate about my teams off this one - i value bh a lot in my per scorers, this team is actually an irregularity when it comes to bh! when you said my highest was 83, i actually had to go check, because i was pretty skeptical... that is highly unusual for me.
3/30/2016 1:10 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 3/29/2016 7:38:00 AM (view original):
congrats to billy for the 2nd all time 4 peat? Now is a 5 peat out of the question, I doubt it.
2nd all time in d1 - 3rd overall. rails has a d2 5peat. it came at a time when only a few coaches per division even knew about pulldowns, and d1 was sparsely populated, so the recruits available to him were insane - he was regularly signing 2 star recruits. he basically would roll with a s16/e8 caliber d1 team while top d2 teams were like 650 overall, regular d2 teams. at the time, people mostly figured OR's d1 3peat, the only in the whole game (at uconn in tark), was the greatest accomplishment of all time, and even that happened when d1 tark was young and not fully populated. so, i think its safe and reasonable to put the two d1 4peats ahead of his d2 5peat. but still, it deserves the mention!

a 5peat is not out of the question, actually, next year's team will be way better than last years and decently better than this years. my starting back court will be one of my all time favorites.

when i first laid eyes on my 3 will-be back court starters - fields, curtis, and bentley - it was early in the season, before i won my 2nd title of this run. it was the greatest local crop of guards i'd ever seen. they were so good, i was salivating for weeks before recruiting rolled around. i knew they'd give me a shot at a title as sophs and juniors. at the time, i was the leading contender for the title, which would be my 2nd - on a team with 0 seniors, and i was expecting to be a big favorite for the 3peat, when those golden recruits would be freshman. the 3peat was already on my mind, i'd been thinking 3peat for a while - so right then and there, i saw the opening, and the dream of the 5peat was born.

it turned out, after i won my 2nd title, that my team got decimated by EEs - we had 5, i was expecting 3 on average. with no seniors, we had enough players returning theoretically, to compete, but we lost too much scoring. i thought the dream was dead, i thought the blow was too heavy to survive. but, we pulled through. of course, this is all a huge longshot. when i stood there, and caught the glimmer in my eye, the glimmer of a d1 5peat, i had 4 titles in front of me, that i had to win, consecutively. the odds against us were monumental. but now, the final chapter awaits. will we do it? who knows - and either way, i feel like i've already won, just making it this far. but without a doubt, that glimmer of hope, the glimmer of a possibility of the first ever d1 5peat, is what drives me, and what has driven me for months.
3/30/2016 1:37 PM
Congrats gillispie! What an awesome feat and so incredibly difficult to accomplish. I'll be watching as the 5-peat season unfolds!
3/30/2016 3:12 PM
Nice. Congrats. I definitely think this is the greatest accomplishment in the game (although whoever did it first obviously has greater bragging rights :)

Mine was funny because The three-peat was do-able... until I lost 5 off the threepeat squad and went up against some stacked other teams that had major IQ advantages against me. Then I lost 5 more off the four-peat and I actually thought I had a shot. What I found is that its all about matchups in the NT. I had some great matchups the previous years and 5 wasn't meant to be. GL to you going forward. I got a championship, a FF, and a Final the next years after my chance at the 5-peat was crushed. Losing 10 in 2 years killed mine. Looks like you have a shot.
3/31/2016 4:31 PM
Posted by stewdog on 3/31/2016 4:31:00 PM (view original):
Nice. Congrats. I definitely think this is the greatest accomplishment in the game (although whoever did it first obviously has greater bragging rights :)

Mine was funny because The three-peat was do-able... until I lost 5 off the threepeat squad and went up against some stacked other teams that had major IQ advantages against me. Then I lost 5 more off the four-peat and I actually thought I had a shot. What I found is that its all about matchups in the NT. I had some great matchups the previous years and 5 wasn't meant to be. GL to you going forward. I got a championship, a FF, and a Final the next years after my chance at the 5-peat was crushed. Losing 10 in 2 years killed mine. Looks like you have a shot.
i obviously am a "dynasty man" myself, i like to talk about these short runs as the greatest single achievement, but we both know how much luck there is in any single title! a big time favorite team is usually more likely to lose than win. so, i think in terms of greatest accomplishment in the game, period, it would have to be evaluated more of like, an over time thing, or something. i like to talk about greatest run, which includes things like rails' 8/9, your 4peat, my 4peat and 5/6, oldwarriors 5/6 at msu in whatever 1/day world that is... but i basically consider a 10 year stretch with 4 titles in a row vs 4 titles spread out, to be equal in greatness.

so, that is to say, i probably still say hofhof has us both beat, in the "greatest d1 program" department. not in the best run department though, now we both have him there :) we both are in striking distance of passing hofhof on the 20/30 yr d1 runs (i go off those lists because its an easy way to compare and they are thoughtfully built as to be a good approximation of greatness), so i think it will be interesting to see how it plays out. if i remember correctly, you were only like 17 seasons into what presumably would be your best 20, last i checked (although your best 20 was already incredible and good for 2nd place - i felt you had a better best 20 coming). we are both too young in our programs to really compete on greatest 30. but on pace to give him a serious challenge. i hope you guys are still working it hard, because that is what motivates me, and i would like the fear of a moving target to get out the best in me :) otherwise i'll be like, trying to beat ya by 1 point :)
3/31/2016 6:28 PM
its a shame we don't get to see the greatest coaching-side achievements (if you imagine the game as two halves, recruiting and coaching). the great recruiting performances get all the fanfare - we all see it, when some ultra talented team wins 3 in a row or something. i could rattle off a dozen 3 peats that have occurred, maybe even all 15 or so that have happened in the history of the game. but since recruiting generation was redone and rebuilding a low BCS school became a real challenge, what were the most masterful rebuilding jobs people did? i wouldn't even know where to begin. those great coaching achievements, its a shame we can't go back and admire them somehow, like we can on the recruiting side.
3/31/2016 8:36 PM (edited)
Tark four peat D1 (Kansas) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.