The Beta -- a blog Topic

the most significant issue for me missed trentons list - it takes a lot longer in terms of how much time I have to spend sitting at the screen doing the scouting - especially if one tries to consider with some thought which guys are worth more levels of scouting

absent filters, I think it will clearly take a lot more manual effort to compare and consider recruits - a sink for me time

by design, the new scouting system requires a bunch of actions and decisions - this is fine, but time consuming. I assume that I would get better at this.

My bottom line so far, is that doing a sloppy job of scouting in the new system will take several times more total time than in the old system. For me, that's a problem. Some folks may enjoy that - and they are the market for the new game.

This isnt about clicking buttons - this is about hours spent at the screen - especially hours spent doing things that feel like busy work.

7/5/2016 12:34 PM
"so we make it longer to get what we had instantly and easier to get what we didn't have before? You completely avoiding that. Sure it might be really nice to have ST info easily right away but now to get basic information I just have to click a crap ton of buttons with scouting levels that still don't really seem to work even by making level 1 position specific(instead of just eliminating it...)"

I don't really understand your point but honestly, I have no interested in debating what's better. I am merely trying to convey that scouting isn't a hodgepodge random mess that is totally F'ed up.
7/5/2016 12:37 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 7/5/2016 12:34:00 PM (view original):
the most significant issue for me missed trentons list - it takes a lot longer in terms of how much time I have to spend sitting at the screen doing the scouting - especially if one tries to consider with some thought which guys are worth more levels of scouting

absent filters, I think it will clearly take a lot more manual effort to compare and consider recruits - a sink for me time

by design, the new scouting system requires a bunch of actions and decisions - this is fine, but time consuming. I assume that I would get better at this.

My bottom line so far, is that doing a sloppy job of scouting in the new system will take several times more total time than in the old system. For me, that's a problem. Some folks may enjoy that - and they are the market for the new game.

This isnt about clicking buttons - this is about hours spent at the screen - especially hours spent doing things that feel like busy work.

I added it.

Honestly, I think it will take less time once we get used to it.
7/5/2016 12:40 PM
You said we get everything instantly which makes having to click a bunch of buttons alright because now ST info is given right away and you get it all instead of your C BH 10 times

However now we have to click those same buttons many times to get what was instantly given before with FSS

And to us having to click scout to next level on a ton of recruits is a hodgepodge random mess that is totally f'ed up
7/5/2016 12:40 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/5/2016 12:40:00 PM (view original):

I added it.

I don't know how in any way this will take less time than FSS that is complete BS no matter how good you get at it.

It takes MAX 20 minutes and I put things into excel charts, if I didn't do that and project ratings for all my targets and just added them to my watchlist I'd be done in 5-10 minutes.

You're telling me you will get scouting done in 5-10 minutes?

Shut up TJ that's utter BS and you know it blatant homerism. You sound like a non retarded coachspud with how much you talk about the beta being good, no one else agrees with your **** besides chapel and spud who are just as blatant as you and you ignore anything and shut it down by not replying or just saying I don't agree with you so it invalidates of criticism of the beta.
7/5/2016 12:46 PM (edited)
Okay, to follow up on my last post...

The varying letter grades vs. overall rankings was "a bug" -- I'm still trying to get clarification on the scope of that bug.

There was also a bug that caused approx 320 too few recruits to be generated. They're adding it.

Last -- a BIG DEVELOPMENT -- walk-ons no longer suck. No, seriously, they don't suck at all. As in, 600+ rated walkons. As in people you'll actually want to give a scholarship to walk-ons. They might get nerfed a bit in future iterations, but they're definitely better than the utter crap we get now. By a long shot.
7/5/2016 1:38 PM
My biggest problem with the new update is not the extra time involved in scouting/recruiting. I don't like it but that alone is not deciding my decision to possibly drop HD.

What I can't stand is the randomness between Level 3 and Level 4 scouting. It seems that the vast majority of recruits with A-something ratings in ATH/SDP/DEF (for example) maintain those A-like projections for Levels 1-3 and then suddenly drop to average ratings once I scout Level 4. It doesn't seem logical that my scouts would continually rate a PG having A- SPD three times and then Level 4 suddenly drops SPD to a 68 with low potential. Further, in most cases, final projections usually DROP between Level 3 and Level 4...not often do they go up. One would assume that your scouts would undervalue an attribute just as often as they would overvalue it. In my beta experience, that is clearly not the case.
7/5/2016 1:42 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/5/2016 12:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/5/2016 12:40:00 PM (view original):

I added it.

I don't know how in any way this will take less time than FSS that is complete BS no matter how good you get at it.

It takes MAX 20 minutes and I put things into excel charts, if I didn't do that and project ratings for all my targets and just added them to my watchlist I'd be done in 5-10 minutes.

You're telling me you will get scouting done in 5-10 minutes?

Shut up TJ that's utter BS and you know it blatant homerism. You sound like a non retarded coachspud with how much you talk about the beta being good, no one else agrees with your **** besides chapel and spud who are just as blatant as you and you ignore anything and shut it down by not replying or just saying I don't agree with you so it invalidates of criticism of the beta.
Sorry, I meant less time than it does now. Have a great day.
7/5/2016 2:15 PM
Here's what I posted on the beta forums for 5 things I would change.

1. Limit the amount D3 can recruit up. Either by level (D2 and D3) only or by some sort of prestige qualifier like you have now today. I've heard a few people mention the negatives about having D1 guys on D3 teams but haven't heard the positives. How will this make the game better?
2. Add in a way to mass scout. Just a simple selector where you can choose 10-20 recruits and click 'scout all' and that moves them up 1 level. Also, allowing us to scout without having to go to the player page would help a ton.
3. Better filters. I want to be able to filter ath, def, spd, etc ratings. Again, like today.
4. Emails! I love this idea and a few people have mentioned it. Have recruits send us emails when a) we've unlocked being able to do some HVs or whatever . b) when we lose positioning in a battle (move from very high to moderate or something). More interaction with our fake recruits is really needed to make recruiting more fun and interactive.
5. Get rid of level 1 scouting. Seble mentioned it in pre-beta that 'you'll have a pretty good idea on how good a recruit is' by just these ratings. Obviously not true. Just start with the level 2 info. Then you'll at least be able to take a shot in the dark on one of these kids if you run out of money.

Looks like for Season 3 they added ways to mass scout. You can select multiple recruits and then scout them all at once. Very good change and will save a lot of clicks. Would be easier on the main page but to get the recruit on this page all you need to do is add a priority ranking (green, blue, yellow, red) See image to link below.

http://imgur.com/TGH5B3A

Also, you can now categorize from the search page without having to open the player profile. Very nice change as well! This will save a ton of time, especially from a phone.

http://imgur.com/g5hhV2Z

I guess also Seble has changed the level 1 scouting to be different depending upon position so maybe that helps a bit. I haven't really gotten in to it yet so we'll see.

Anyway, I'll post my thoughts once Season 3 goes on and maybe it'll go much better/easier by adding these changes. Do I love it? No, not yet. Is it a dumpster fire? No, not yet. Still too early to say in my book. Either could prove to be true I suppose.
7/5/2016 2:27 PM
Keep up the good work , the beta is coming along nicely

Do most of you click all or most your recruits once found to level 4? if so that seems to me a really bad way to be scouting.....
Your assistant scout cost 350 to scout 5 players( or you can increase it to find more.) , the cost to scouts 5 guys at minimum distance is like 516 or so you can toggle if there found or not, so its really easy to manipulate the system to find, or search guys your looking at , or trying to look at you can start with a random state and have him only further scout only known players so he will only scout the top 100 players and that random state.. im really not getting the complaining on clicking for scouting the only clicking im doing is with my mouse to search for players.....or that last piece to fully scout not every recruit or am i missing what there saying about the scouting aspect here,
7/5/2016 4:20 PM
Posted by crzyballplay on 7/5/2016 4:20:00 PM (view original):
Keep up the good work , the beta is coming along nicely

Do most of you click all or most your recruits once found to level 4? if so that seems to me a really bad way to be scouting.....
Your assistant scout cost 350 to scout 5 players( or you can increase it to find more.) , the cost to scouts 5 guys at minimum distance is like 516 or so you can toggle if there found or not, so its really easy to manipulate the system to find, or search guys your looking at , or trying to look at you can start with a random state and have him only further scout only known players so he will only scout the top 100 players and that random state.. im really not getting the complaining on clicking for scouting the only clicking im doing is with my mouse to search for players.....or that last piece to fully scout not every recruit or am i missing what there saying about the scouting aspect here,
The problem with asst coach scouting is the lack of control. yes, it's cheaper but if I have a guy that I discovered who is clearly awful at Level 2 or Level 3, my asst coach might scout him up to level 4, even though I already know he's bad. So yeah, I agree with what you say and I'm trying to do that too but I think you'll still need to scout individual guys who you're interested in and this makes it easier to A) scout several at once and B) do it from the search page and not have to click on the player page.

I'd think this would be more important for the D1 teams since their budget is really big and will have the money to blow like this. D3 might not have the luxury.
7/5/2016 4:29 PM
ya i forget some people actually like playing in non d1...
7/5/2016 4:35 PM
and its not about blowing money , its actually more effective since your scouting a TON TON more players ...
7/5/2016 4:36 PM
a problem in the beta that really bothers me is the absence of filters by skillz. Seble says it is hard to design filters that work with letters and numbers.

there also appears to be a problem of understanding the relationships -- and what appear to be inconsistent relationships - between letter grades at scouting levels 1,2 and 3 vs the numbers you see at level 4

my solution - ditch the letters except for level 1. At level 2 show numbers, but rounded - say to the nearest 10. At level 3, again numbers, rounded to nearest 5. Then at level 4 you see the numbers. Also at levels 2, 3, 4 you see more and more of the potentials

A filter can then work on whatever array of numbers is accessible to you

And the data would be consistent - although with differing levels of accuracy

If they had started work with a requirement - as they should have - that filters be functional, they might have designed the new game this way. Something like this would let filters work and address the puzzling lack of relationships between level 1 and 2 letters and the actual numbers. Fuzzy but not deeply wrong.

7/5/2016 7:37 PM
One thing we got to clear : BETA do not take more time. It's a false information. It takes about the same time, maybe a bit less.

One thing we got to clear also : BETA is BETA, which means we are experiencing and offering positive criticism so Seble changes some of what we are seeing now. So the product is not ready yet but we are seeing improvements from season 1 for sure.
7/5/2016 8:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15|16 Next ▸
The Beta -- a blog Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.