Leaving after one final season, and 3.0 sux Topic

Posted by CoachWard95 on 8/12/2016 5:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 8/12/2016 4:30:00 PM (view original):
Am i doing this right? I was never very good at instructions.
Bye you will definatley not be missed
+1
8/13/2016 2:22 AM
Wow, I am way to lazy to sitemail you folks who said nice things about me individually, but damn, thank you.

Although, it would have been easier to leave this place if instead all the new folks would have just filled it up with posts I don't see (coz they are all blocked) :)

I admit I've had my share of meltdown posts, but I always (usually) tried to contribute and be helpful when I could. Knowing that a few of you appreciate that means something. Thank you, sincerely.

FWIW and if anyone cares (unlikely - but I just like showing off my buddy's cool logo...) I will be devoted the time I used to spend here on HD to captaining Team Ouroboros in the Rocket Hockey League. I suppose there is some kismet in my old school gaming activity being supplanted by video games, both coming and going...

TEAM OUROBOROS
Team Twitter
8/13/2016 2:30 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 8/13/2016 2:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by CoachWard95 on 8/12/2016 5:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 8/12/2016 4:30:00 PM (view original):
Am i doing this right? I was never very good at instructions.
Bye you will definatley not be missed
+1
highly successful competitor who has often given great advice to others on the forums

Criticized by ?
8/13/2016 7:45 AM
If you do leave, wish you lots of success, and I have enjoyed competing against you. You were at Columbia when I was at Fordham in Phelan, back when we had the Ivy league full and it became pretty powerful. One of the things I enjoyed most about that conference was that we all set up a thread on the Ivy League forum, and we would all write about our teams, focusing on what players we got in recruiting, team outlook, key players, and the like.

But I hope you'll end up reconsidering Dac. In reality, no one really knows for sure how the game will play out once it goes live. You just can't predict that from Beta because it has a lower population, and because people are trying different techniques. I hope all of the old coaches who say they are leaving will keep this in mind.

I think the new version has a LOT more strategy to it, and that gives good coaches like you an opportunity to separate themselves even more from others. It has not been very complicated for me to learn, but there are way more ways for a smart coach to win recruiting battles in this game, especially against higher prestige teams. It's really fascinating to me - I really do love it. There are still some things I would like to see happen, but by and large the way it is in the current version after evolving through 4 beta seasons is quite a bit different than it was when it started. So, I am not sure how active you were, or how many beta seasons you went through, but if it was just a season or two and you were not that active, please try it when it goes live for a few seasons. You might end up at that point thinking how glad you were that you didn't give it up.
8/13/2016 8:00 AM
I tried in the beta, and it just wasn't fun for me - I can begrudgingly see how it might appeal to some folks, I'm just not one of them. I actually like the current recruiting a lot. I liked it at D3 as much as I liked it at MSU - I just do...no biggie, I'm just one voice and a large chunk of the folks on the forums truly won't care one way or the other, and that's fine - things change...

One thing I feel pretty secure about being able to predict is that EEs will be devastating, and then teams won't have very many anymore due to the new nature of things, and it won't matter quite as much, but the whole concept that I shouldn't expect to replace an EE player with a player of similar quality is something I don't feel makes sense...but it's a number of combinations of things tbh.

The Ivy was fun. My career was so random in Phelan - I never could settle down anyplace...but great times.
Thanks
8/13/2016 9:32 AM
" the whole concept that I shouldn't expect to replace an EE player with a player of similar quality is something I don't feel makes sense "

Thank you for your honesty. I wonder, is such a replacement guaranteed in HD Classic?
8/13/2016 10:30 AM
I think it is easier in HD classic than it will be in 3.0, but that may still change. But I also think that the distribution of the truly elite players will be more widespread, so it may not be as important.
8/13/2016 10:49 AM
Posted by CoachSpud on 8/13/2016 10:30:00 AM (view original):
" the whole concept that I shouldn't expect to replace an EE player with a player of similar quality is something I don't feel makes sense "

Thank you for your honesty. I wonder, is such a replacement guaranteed in HD Classic?
+1 Spud

I know opinions on this vary, but I find this expectation to be a little odd. I get that it sucks to lose a guy who is an impact player. But it happens in real life. A more practical/realistic way to prepare for the possibility is deeper scouting. We're given weeks to leisurely scout and uncover guys who may not be EE level but can definitely be good players in D1, even in the second session of recruiting. I've seen it in beta. They are out there and they are routinely overlooked. Essentially, instead of expecting EE quality replacement players to be handed to coaches, it will take effort and skill on their part to find the guys that absolutely are out there who can be developed and contribute in years 3 and 4.

Just my opinion, but that's a step in the right direction- it rewards skilled coaches and combined with other factors allows for a more competitive playing environment where mid-majors and even some lower level schools get to make some noise in the Big Dance.
8/13/2016 11:35 AM
"Handed to coaches"? Please don't fill up dac's leaving post with denigrating top coaches.

For those who don't know, and I'm guessing some of you don't, this is the coach that made the spreadsheet on what is high high vs low high and maintained it for years. this is the coach that actively talked to and helped people in his conference. This is a great coach leaving. This coach has done more for the game than any of you ever will.

We've had differences in MI in Rupp dac, but you know I respect you as a coach and have in several worlds. I'll be leaving too once credits are done, but you're a good dude and a great coach.
8/13/2016 12:56 PM
Posted by casperthegm on 8/13/2016 11:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 8/13/2016 10:30:00 AM (view original):

+1 Spud

I know opinions on this vary, but I find this expectation to be a little odd. I get that it sucks to lose a guy who is an impact player. But it happens in real life. A more practical/realistic way to prepare for the possibility is deeper scouting. We're given weeks to leisurely scout and uncover guys who may not be EE level but can definitely be good players in D1, even in the second session of recruiting. I've seen it in beta. They are out there and they are routinely overlooked. Essentially, instead of expecting EE quality replacement players to be handed to coaches, it will take effort and skill on their part to find the guys that absolutely are out there who can be developed and contribute in years 3 and 4.

Just my opinion, but that's a step in the right direction- it rewards skilled coaches and combined with other factors allows for a more competitive playing environment where mid-majors and even some lower level schools get to make some noise in the Big Dance.
1) Real Life? Because it's so hard for Kentucky to replace the guys they lose to the NBA.......right. OK - so much for this being "hard" to match real life argument.
2) Handed to coaches? LMAO. You really think it's unfair for ALL DI coaches to be treated EQUALLY in regards to filling out their rosters with recruits? You try filling 4 open spots with 2 spots worth of ammunition and see how fun that is. Because that's what Seble has created with this new version.

If "competitive environment" means handicapping top coaches so that the rest of the mediocre coaches can catch up, then you and Spud are getting what you asked for.

PS - not to sound too harsh but that's the type of Spud opinion made from someone who hasn't even sniffed an EE yet.
8/13/2016 1:52 PM (edited)
Posted by guyo26 on 8/13/2016 12:56:00 PM (view original):
"Handed to coaches"? Please don't fill up dac's leaving post with denigrating top coaches.

For those who don't know, and I'm guessing some of you don't, this is the coach that made the spreadsheet on what is high high vs low high and maintained it for years. this is the coach that actively talked to and helped people in his conference. This is a great coach leaving. This coach has done more for the game than any of you ever will.

We've had differences in MI in Rupp dac, but you know I respect you as a coach and have in several worlds. I'll be leaving too once credits are done, but you're a good dude and a great coach.
+1
8/13/2016 1:49 PM
Dac I can't remember what world it was but I had the privilege of being in a D2 conference with you, A in the B, BakerBarnett, and gomiami, I learned more about the game coaching against you guys for a couple seasons than all the others put together. All the new guys will never know how much they actually will miss the knowledge that you share. Enjoy life outside HD and hope to see you back in the future!
8/13/2016 6:57 PM
Posted by bradriddell on 8/13/2016 6:57:00 PM (view original):
Dac I can't remember what world it was but I had the privilege of being in a D2 conference with you, A in the B, BakerBarnett, and gomiami, I learned more about the game coaching against you guys for a couple seasons than all the others put together. All the new guys will never know how much they actually will miss the knowledge that you share. Enjoy life outside HD and hope to see you back in the future!
Heartland, knight.
8/13/2016 6:59 PM
Dac: see you around. Keep one team come to ACC Phelan, just to chill...
8/13/2016 8:20 PM
Posted by guyo26 on 8/13/2016 12:56:00 PM (view original):

I understand that you're just to give the guy his props but to make it out like the low-high/high-high thing was anything more than just a simple little chart is kind of ridiculous, don't you think? I mean, give him credit for his run with Michigan State or something like that, not the potential thing. It was helpful, sure, but it certainly wasn't a "Stop the presses" moment in HD history.
8/13/2016 10:56 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Leaving after one final season, and 3.0 sux Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.