D3, Season 63 Topic

Posted by ekulka on 12/17/2012 5:53:00 AM (view original):
There's rumblings that Sammy Sosa and, roger Clemens and Mark McGuire are the physical trainers at John Carroll. Any truth to the rumors Whit6r?
lol
12/17/2012 8:37 AM
Breaking news on Sportscenter: head coach at HS caught on video telling team in locker room before JW game, "whatever you do, don't get blown out". Vegas closes all bets on this game. NCAA investigating possible point shaving scandal, if one can't count crossing fingers and not hoping for a 30 point loss cheating.
12/18/2012 12:57 AM
My apologies for being vacant from the thread...I'm in the midst of coaching right now (not hoops) and this season has been far more time-intensive than previous ones. I don't think the delay in any way impacted the teams I chose.

The "Few Days Late, But Still Way-Too-Early Final Four

—Johnson and Wales
Once again, spasticity has assembled a team that I’d be giving respect to if they showed up on my D2 schedule. Ath and Def in the mid-60s at the time of this writing and a speed that slacks off to 53. Allen Woods is just scary good and hopefully has no more Per growth remaining or he could border on the unreal.

—Texas Lutheran
Another roster that’s loaded, although the mid-40s defense might be a ***** in the armor. Blapo21 will compensate for that with a team that’s currently 52-56 on the Ath-Spd meter and high 40s in the LP-Per pairing with a 47 BH. If balanced values count more than extremes in Ath and Def, the Texas Lutheran is your pick this season.

-- UMass, Dartmouth
Once you yank out the walk-on that’s holding down team values, docwooden’s roster can easilly be described as a Johnson and Wales clone with more upperclass leadership on the roster. How deep is UMD? As I write this, the No. 9 man on the roster has a rating of 589.

-- US Merchant Marines
Defeated not one, but two DI programs in the preseason, then was unceremoniously dumped by 26 points by Texas Lutheran, above. Subsequent wins over Millsaps and Rivier — the latter by 27 points — show this team is legit though. The lack of top-end speed might hinder the squad, but I can’t recall the last time I saw a team with values like this that was also sporting a Per of 50. Lynchmob will have some fun this season.
12/18/2012 1:36 PM
I won't comment on your final four projections, rednu, but it is a bit jarring to see how many regular names are missing from today's top 25: Millsaps, Ursinis, Rivier, Connecticut, Hardin-Simmons, Wentworth Tech, and my Vassar squad are all currently unranked.  I know it is early and things will change (the rankings do seem particularly volatile this year), but it does seem to be an unusual season in Rupp so far--notwithstanding the usual strength and dominance of the Evil Empire, that is.
12/18/2012 5:55 PM
I think it's directly related to the quality of coaching that has developed.  I'd put Rupp DIII up against any other DIII world out there.
12/18/2012 7:44 PM
Posted by rednu on 12/18/2012 1:36:00 PM (view original):
My apologies for being vacant from the thread...I'm in the midst of coaching right now (not hoops) and this season has been far more time-intensive than previous ones. I don't think the delay in any way impacted the teams I chose.

The "Few Days Late, But Still Way-Too-Early Final Four

—Johnson and Wales
Once again, spasticity has assembled a team that I’d be giving respect to if they showed up on my D2 schedule. Ath and Def in the mid-60s at the time of this writing and a speed that slacks off to 53. Allen Woods is just scary good and hopefully has no more Per growth remaining or he could border on the unreal.

—Texas Lutheran
Another roster that’s loaded, although the mid-40s defense might be a ***** in the armor. Blapo21 will compensate for that with a team that’s currently 52-56 on the Ath-Spd meter and high 40s in the LP-Per pairing with a 47 BH. If balanced values count more than extremes in Ath and Def, the Texas Lutheran is your pick this season.

-- UMass, Dartmouth
Once you yank out the walk-on that’s holding down team values, docwooden’s roster can easilly be described as a Johnson and Wales clone with more upperclass leadership on the roster. How deep is UMD? As I write this, the No. 9 man on the roster has a rating of 589.

-- US Merchant Marines
Defeated not one, but two DI programs in the preseason, then was unceremoniously dumped by 26 points by Texas Lutheran, above. Subsequent wins over Millsaps and Rivier — the latter by 27 points — show this team is legit though. The lack of top-end speed might hinder the squad, but I can’t recall the last time I saw a team with values like this that was also sporting a Per of 50. Lynchmob will have some fun this season.
For the record, the word that's starred out under Texas Lutheran is not a word I ever would have thought would be blacklisted automatically. 
12/18/2012 8:55 PM
Doesnt ***** in the armor mean a small chinese person in the armor?
12/18/2012 9:13 PM
I think it's sad that the word gets censored.  I don't think of that phrase as racial at all personally, but I do remember some journalist getting in trouble for using it in a headline about Jeremy Lin.  We're too sensitive about stuff like that imo.
12/19/2012 10:02 AM
"hopefully has no more Per growth"

Don't worry rednu, Allen Woods is maxed out at 70 Per.  His only average potential left is in BH.

12/19/2012 10:04 AM
I'd say the final four picks are pretty solid.  I tried to come up with a post of my final four, but after UMass and J&W, I really think it's fairly wide open.

But I guess that's why it's the "way too early" prediction.

Since I know my own team best, I'll say with confidence that there's no reason to pick the Majors for the final four this season. 

Too much youth in the backcourt.

12/19/2012 10:43 PM

I'm calling my shot...John Carroll will win a national championship sometime within the next 100 seasons.

12/19/2012 11:19 PM
Louisiana with a nice victory last night, 51-48 over UMass, Dartmouth. The University claims a big scalp.

Johnson and Wales with a nice 70-58 W over Shenandoah as well.
12/20/2012 11:35 AM
Yep, the sun shines on a dog's rear end every now and then.
12/20/2012 12:36 PM
Upset umass Dartmouth ... The world really must be ending
12/21/2012 6:26 AM
Word on the street. I am going to with the OAC South....but not much else.
12/21/2012 4:43 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
D3, Season 63 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.