D3, Season 71 Topic

gotta admit, love seeing that list
1/13/2014 3:36 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 1/13/2014 3:19:00 PM (view original):
well, I have zero in Rupp... so I am right there with ya bullman!  the scary thing is with altertnative IDs, spasticity has even more... I am not sure what other alias are out there. I have 4 total, one under another ID.

thanks for the report bullman... how does that compare to wooden, does anyone know?
I do have 4 more under "killbatman" for what it's worth.  I really wish I could go back to 2005 and not start dynasties under different usernames.  I think originally I just played HD under this id and GD under the other one. 

I'm pretty sure Wooden would have a higher total, but I don't really have the ability to check in a reasonable way.
1/13/2014 3:42 PM
Happy to be here! This seasonal thread was always the big draw of Rupp - it was just time to make the jump. Hope the N.Coast enjoys kicking my butt the next few seasons.
1/13/2014 4:30 PM
It's been quite a few seasons since I've had a team in DIII Rupp (used to be at Rose-Hulman in Midwest), but I'm back yo.

This is one my favorite and best leagues I've ever been a part of, which has a lot to do with this forum and the other coaches. I'm excited to be back in the mix, hopefully I will be able to get my team to a competitive level in the near future.
1/17/2014 1:48 AM (edited)
this forum is pretty much the only reason I took (and have kept) my DIII team in rupp..
thanks for this and keep up the good work!!

1/14/2014 1:44 AM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 1/13/2014 4:42:00 PM (view original):
It's been quite a few seasons since I've had a team in DIII Rupp (used to be at Rose-Hulman in Heartland), but I'm back yo.

This is one my favorite and best leagues I've ever been a part of, which has a lot to do with this forum and the other coaches. I'm excited to be back in the mix, hopefully I will be able to get my team to a competitive level in the near future.
Good to have you back nachopuzzle!! Another heavyweight back into the mix and Rupp just keeps getting more and more insane. Naismith will always be dear to me because that's where I learned this game (and I'm going on like a quarter century with Missouri St. Louis over there), but I think this world would be the one I cling to if I ever had to cut back to one world. There's just too much fun here year in and year out.
1/14/2014 2:26 AM
Thanks rednu, happy to be back.
1/14/2014 4:01 AM
Great to see new and old names back in Rupp. USA South just added a new coach. We are up to 7 humans now. Would be nice to get at least 9 humans.
1/14/2014 6:10 PM
I just noticed another new addition to D3 Rupp that hasn't been mentioned yet.  oldave is the new coach of Babson in the nearly empty Penn conference.  He's kind of a big deal.  I hear his apartment smells of rich mahogany.  And something about leather-bound books.
1/15/2014 3:44 PM
TOO MUCH! TOO MUCH!
1/15/2014 4:57 PM
Oldave is friends with Merlin Olsen. He comes over on occasion.
1/16/2014 6:39 PM
spas, i think i should be offended that you think i am only "kind of" a big deal.

my apartment actually smells of European Pearwood and rich corinthian leather.  
and velvet.    if it were socially acceptable, id drape myself in velvet.  

and yes, jacobs, merlin is a friend,  he does still come by on occassion, and he often remarks that my humble abode is even more comfortable and smells better than his apartment in heaven.  

1/17/2014 12:17 PM
i acutally have a huge database of all teams all worlds season by season history.   

one of the things i did with that list is compute average winnings for each coach based only on thier d3 history
winnings computed according to current reward points structure ($3 for making the NT, $5 for making round2, $10 for sw16, etc)

then i computed the average "coach strength" of each season, each world by averaging the average winnings of all the coaches in that world, that season.
not perfect,   obviously undervalues coaches who had more success at d2 and d1.,  but its something.

biggest problem is it takes literally days to pull in all the data..  i did it a month or two ago, so it is not up to date, and maybe the recent additions have moved rupp into 1st place  (for instance, oldavey is not nearly as big of a deal as he thinks he is, but i did have a decent run at oneonta and so my average $ per season will help the cause.)  sounds like some top coaches are recent additions to rupp, too.

1-   $1.02
2-  $1.00
3-  $0.83
4-  $0.87
5-  $0.81
6-  $0.68
7- $0.79
8-  $0.78
9- $0.77
10- $0.71

I think when you plug in a coach who averages $10 per season for a simmy coach (they average $0.12 per season) that improves the world average by about $.03.

ill let yall know if i run it again.   i think i could pretty easily calculate # of d3 titles. for coaches currently in each world.  and with a little mroe effort might be able to calculate all titles (d1, d2, d3)    but of course that wouldnt account for aliai.

1/17/2014 12:46 PM
fwiw,  i picked babson because i found them to be the worst program in HD d3 history.
 not really sure why.  there doesnt seem to be inherent disadvantages like there seems to be at sull ross st or maine , etc.   

but the numbers dont lie and babson has played over 700 seasons across all 10 worlds
... and they have won 4 NT games.  never been to the sweet16,  ever.

the only other school that might be able to lay claim to the "worst" title, is concordia, ill .  they actually have an even worse $ per season as they have only made it to the NT 23 times in 700 seasons.   Babson has the second fewest NT trips .   made it 40 times (and 36 one and dones, ouch)   
but since concordia,ill has made it to the sw16, i gotta give the nod to babson.. hopefully we can change that soemday.

reminds me,  i should look up who the coach was who actually did get concordia ill to the sw16.

1/17/2014 12:57 PM
thanks for the info.  that is very interesting...

quick question - I never remember what worlds are what.... Rupp = world 3, correct?

my guess is the worlds are:
turns out it's obvious -- listed on forums page...  for example: 
Rupp
Coaching in this world? This is the place to chat with your fellow World 3 coaches.

CONFIRMED:
1. Naismith
2. Wooden
3. Rupp
4. Smith
5. Iba
6. Allen
7. Crum
8, Tarkanian
9. Knight
10. Phelan
1/17/2014 4:12 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...17 Next ▸
D3, Season 71 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.