D3, Season 71 Topic

Ouch, not much love in the rankings for Allegheny.  Still, you guys are awesome for putting that together.  You should get a trophy, for real!

Not many of you will know me here (please call me Starr), I'm not on the forums much and a relatively new coach to HD.  Going on my third season here in Rupp and absolutely loving everything about it, and now especially the forums.  Pseudo and darnoc always told me about the awesome forums.  Maybe it just seems more cool because it's so late and I'm overtired, or maybe, just maybe the forum rocks!  I am going to continue to work hard to try to move up these lists.

I will do my best to get 20 wins and make the NT again this season :)  Next year should be the better year, though, and hopefully bump my prestige.  Wish me luck, guys. 
1/19/2014 12:26 AM
Brianxavier, thanks for the Kiss of Death!
1/19/2014 4:08 AM
Here is a question for you guys.  How much of an affect does coaching have on a team?  For example, if a SIM coached team is rated 50 on a scale of 100, what would you say the rating would be if it was coached by a legendary coach, good coach, average coach, and a newbie?  I may try and incorporate a coaching factor into my ratings system and would appreciate any input you guys have.
1/19/2014 11:38 AM
Time to kick off another series of Game of the Night writeups.  Good luck in the new season everyone, have fun.

GotN
#9 Ursinus (0-0)(barjaz) at #8 Susquehanna (0-0)(zeuspole)
First night of the season and we have three games between ranked opponents, this is the only one between top ten teams.  zeuspole has a slim 12-9 career record against barjaz but the visitors are favored by a point.  Should be a great season opener.

Also considered: #5 Johnson and Wales at #24 Penn St. Altoona, #19 Millsaps at #16 Colorado, #17 Rivier at E. Connecticut State, and Buena Vista at #18 Ozarks.

Sim blowout watch: ajlillie requested that I not include him in the GotN for a while but he didn't say anything about the sim blowout watch.  Therefore, we have St. John Fisher getting 76 points as they host #1 Texas Lutheran.  Elsewhere, Mount Ida is getting 65 point hosting #4 Emory and Pacific is a 60 point home dog against #6 California Tech.

Like always, the ITaLRbHAGotN featured game will return once the conference season starts up.  Give you something else to look forward to.
1/19/2014 3:37 PM
Way Too Early Final Four

I'm not sure if all the redshirts for the season have been handed out, and considering I had 15 teams that made the cut as serious contenders for this list (the largest number I've ever been forced to look at), that might be a big deal that may have impacted the final selections. But since the odds are I'll be too hyped up on NFL playoffs and the accompanying beverages, chances are i won't be in any condition to conduct the analysis later today. Therefore, in alphabetical order, the Way Too Early Final Four for Season 71...

Emory (phalla, No. 4 preseason, 26-8 last season, Final Four) -- Perhaps the hottest team in Rupp right now, phalla's crew has played in five of the last six Final Four's (the exception was "only" an Elite Eight) and three of the last five national title games, winning twice. Senior Chester Zaitlin is the likely star on this lineup, which features nine seniors and juniors.

Hardin-Simmons
(sublightd, No. 11, 29-2, NT Round 2) -- Strong athleticism and defense for sublightd, who is certainly no stranger to the Final Four. Junior Otis Neal could be poised for a breakout season in Abilene, but the most remarkable thing about the HS lineup from my vantage point is that there doesn't appear to be any real letup among the first 11. Getting to the bench does not look like it makes much difference going at HS this year.

North Carolina Wesleyan (nastynick60, No. 2, 17-13, PIT Round 2) -- NCW hasn't won 20 games since Season 65, but that ought to change this season. Nine seniors and juniors on the roster, but everyone will be trying to come up with an answer to Melvin Riddles, who averaged 18+ points per game and earned All-American status as a sophomore.

Piedmont (bunkerbuster, No. 21, 20-13, PIT Champion) -- After 95 wins in three seasons, Piedmont dropped down to 20 wins last year, but captured a PIT title while playing basically as a junior college (all sophomores and freshmen on the roster). There still won't be any seniors on the roster, so get used to seeing this crew around. Ronald Griffin averaged better than 10 points per contest last year as Piedmont made a strong postseason run through the PIT.

Also considered -- Cal Tech, Colorado, Johnson & Wales, Lynchburg, Susquehanna, Texas Lutheran, Trinity, Ursinus, US Merchant Marines, Vassar, Wooster.

1/19/2014 4:07 PM
Posted by bullman17 on 1/19/2014 11:38:00 AM (view original):
Here is a question for you guys.  How much of an affect does coaching have on a team?  For example, if a SIM coached team is rated 50 on a scale of 100, what would you say the rating would be if it was coached by a legendary coach, good coach, average coach, and a newbie?  I may try and incorporate a coaching factor into my ratings system and would appreciate any input you guys have.
I don't know on a 1-100 point scale where I'd put it, but when I'm figuring conference champs I look at what I call "adjusted rating," which is Team Rating - (WE + STAM + DUR). In that metric, I've found that an average human coach (one that understands tempo and defensive positioning) is worth about 10-15 points. The better world coaches I'll adjust up to 20-25 points, although I rarely have to since in many cases those are coaches who either don't face Sims that often or have teams so dominant that they just overwhelm the Sim to such a magnitude that it's hard to discern how much of the impact is tied to coaching.
1/19/2014 4:17 PM
Posted by rednu on 1/19/2014 4:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bullman17 on 1/19/2014 11:38:00 AM (view original):
I don't know on a 1-100 point scale where I'd put it, but when I'm figuring conference champs I look at what I call "adjusted rating," which is Team Rating - (WE + STAM + DUR). In that metric, I've found that an average human coach (one that understands tempo and defensive positioning) is worth about 10-15 points. The better world coaches I'll adjust up to 20-25 points, although I rarely have to since in many cases those are coaches who either don't face Sims that often or have teams so dominant that they just overwhelm the Sim to such a magnitude that it's hard to discern how much of the impact is tied to coaching.
That is helpful, thanks.  I am thinking a human coach is worth up to five or six points in a game.  I think that is in the ballpark of what you said.
1/19/2014 5:41 PM
posted by rednu;

"Emory (phalla, No. 4 preseason, 26-8 last season, Final Four) -- Perhaps the hottest team in Rupp right now, phalla's crew has played in five of the last six Final Four's (the exception was "only" an Elite Eight) and three of the last five national title games, winning twice."

Need to note that in the last 6 seasons, Emory has only 2 conference championships and 2 CT titles in University. Meanwhile division mate Millsaps has 4 conference championships and 4 CT titles. Emory has done well in the NT but we don't even reign in our own division. Millsaps rules!!

1/19/2014 8:25 PM
Here's a number to remember in evaluating teams pre-season-  64.

64 is the team defensive rating for Millsaps. Far and away the highest in Rupp D3 ... and that is with 1 jc and 4 freshman recruits! They may hit 70 by the end of the season.

1/19/2014 8:31 PM
 ITaLRbHAGotN

?
help me out here.  been drivin myself crazy trying to figger it out

1/19/2014 8:54 PM
Posted by oldave on 1/19/2014 8:54:00 PM (view original):
 ITaLRbHAGotN

?
help me out here.  been drivin myself crazy trying to figger it out

That is a game of a week between 2 good teams of a lesser known conference, if I'm correct. So in real life, Wichita State-Indiana State... So on so forth.
1/19/2014 9:04 PM
Yeah, sorry, I should've explained that for the new peeps too.  That one's a really silly name I thought up when I started adding a second featured game to the daily writeups, usually a non-ranked game outside of the top conferences.  I try to find games that will go a long way to deciding conference championships and/or post-season resume building.

I couldn't come up with a clever name so I just abbreviated what it is, ITaLRbHAGotN.  "It Took a Little Research but Here's Another Game of the Night".

1/19/2014 9:25 PM
How much of an impact a coach has….. interesting question and one I have certainly pondered.  Personally, I feel the coach impacts the game 8-15 points / game.  
1/20/2014 12:09 AM
Posted by brianxavier on 1/20/2014 12:09:00 AM (view original):
How much of an impact a coach has….. interesting question and one I have certainly pondered.  Personally, I feel the coach impacts the game 8-15 points / game.  
In the second round of the National Tournament, my career record shows that I'm worth about negative-8 points...
1/20/2014 12:55 AM
Posted by rednu on 1/20/2014 12:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by brianxavier on 1/20/2014 12:09:00 AM (view original):
In the second round of the National Tournament, my career record shows that I'm worth about negative-8 points...
Not last year :(
1/20/2014 9:59 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...17 Next ▸
D3, Season 71 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.