MLD World Thread #2 Topic

Vikings former FP [D] Francis Kopecky retires and [D] Jimmie Melkkala assumes the role.

5/21/2010 12:18 AM
Players get hurt in the playoffs all the time. Even guys with stamina of 75-80 are prone to little 2-gamers. They are gonna get hurt a whole lot more often now, though, with the 100-stamina guys being limited!
5/21/2010 11:08 AM
I just want to officially state that I am keeping no bench this season. Everybody is in the minors except the people in each game. If the players in the minors are going to improve and the bench players aren't, then everyone has to be called up when needed.
5/22/2010 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By canuk on 5/20/2010Is it possible to update the very first post in this forum with the new rules and possibly updating the FP list
Fellas, rammers has asked me to look into this and I've tracked all our posts back at least a year... The FP List is quite outdated, I'm researching it as much as I can but there are a few holes I can't fill in. I will post a special thread later today and we can update everything there.

5/22/2010 10:23 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
5/28/2010 2:58 PM
Posted by max259 on 5/22/2010 8:11:00 AM (view original):
I just want to officially state that I am keeping no bench this season. Everybody is in the minors except the people in each game. If the players in the minors are going to improve and the bench players aren't, then everyone has to be called up when needed.
I feel the same way with this, and it only makes sense if you want players to improve that aren't playing.
7/17/2010 5:20 PM
We weren't able to come up with rules for G in the playoffs. However, now it seems rammers is being singled out. With that said, I'm sure that we can all figure something that allows for ALL teams to have 2 G to use during the playoffs. My suggestion would be to have the top 2 G, in terms of GP, for each team be availible for playoffs.

I posted the above in the league forum because I wasn't able to in here at the time. Once again it would seem there's controversy in the playoffs. The above post is the most simple solution to the goalie issue that was brought up, because in my opinion having a goaling play 2 regular season games doesn't make them a regular. 

Now we all should be allowed 2 goalies on our roster for the post season, if only to allow for a goalie being pulled. I personally had that happen at least twice just in this playoff. Should any one have any other ideas I would like to hear them. 
7/17/2010 5:34 PM
The "playoff goalie" issue:

First of all, if there's something to be done about it, the only simple and elegant solution that need be considered, IMO, is the one big_drive offers above.  Only each team's top two goalies per regular season games played eligible for playoff use.  We all know that sometimes you go through a season with a rotation, sometimes you use one main guy and the backup doesn't even get into 10 games.  It seems to me that we don't want to be picking over our opponent's rosters, we don't want to get into a situation of saying "you can dress this guy but not start him", etc.

Now, I'm not going to be too contrarian here, but IMO I haven't seen this as a big issue.  Let me just talk this out.  I know it seems kind of silly to have a name show up in goal that you've been seeing around the MLD forever and now only shows up at playoff time.  Yes, it looks silly and unrealistic.  Well, there are a lot of unrealistic things involved here, much as we try.  I think what's critical is whether or not a "playoff goalie" can swing a series, and I'm not sure.  As evidence, let me present the Firebirds.

As far as I know, I was the first owner to retire a goalie under the old 350 min TOI.  Morton was 100/100 and didn't win in the playoffs.  I retired another 100/100 goalie, Xavier, who didn't win in the playoffs.  They lost because the teams in front of them weren't good enough, couldn't score in the playoffs, that's the story of all damag sim teams, all defence and not enough goals.  My best goalie ever in a short term was Darville, a guy who never had the stamina to be a full time starter, but for some weird reason had multiple extended shutout streaks in his career.

The rules we put into place this season are designed to now limit the effect of repeating stacked rosters in multiple seasons, while still allowing GMs to determine and plot the lengths of their players' careers.  Over time, I suspect that will minimize any effectiveness of a "playoff goalie."  I believe teams win in the MLD, not goalies and not even star players.

7/18/2010 12:42 PM
Big Drive's suggestion is the best we have, so I say we should go with that for future seasons. But then only the two goalies with most games should be the only one used, also in backup position, even if their game energy% isn't fully 100%.
7/19/2010 7:19 PM
Just want to toss out there that I never meant to single out Rune... Aliens were just the first team I noticed using a different goalie in the playoffs, and I was confused because I thought the 20 game rule also applied to G.  I'm good with any fix as long as there is SOME fix.
7/23/2010 6:21 PM
Hrmmm....  am I able to post?  (this is a test)  

(Editted....  wow, this is apparently my 1st post ever.......  wtf?)
7/23/2010 8:15 PM
I was thinking on the player ruleing of only the players drafted in the current year being used for the playoffs, how about we extend it to all players with a 165,000 salery  can be used might be easier to watch . As for goalies I like the idea of using the 2 goalies that had the most time in in the current season to be used for the playoffs
7/24/2010 1:34 PM
Aliens has retired C Carlos Tijuana and appointed RW Joseph Pilha as new FP
7/24/2010 7:53 PM

With the retirement of LW Lowell McDaniel, Pontiac Firebirds announce as new Franchise Player C Michael Knight.

7/25/2010 9:25 AM
Ny Junk Yard Dogs announce with the retirement of RW Jean -Louis Halinen they are naming LW Lou Romola as their new Franchise Player
7/25/2010 4:44 PM
◂ Prev 1...50|51|52|53|54...63 Next ▸
MLD World Thread #2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.