52 Million Draft League Evaluations Topic

I knew there was a reason I liked you Vance. Amen my Christian brother, I'm heading there myself.
2/24/2013 11:47 AM
Rodman is always the top guy on my draft board. Love Wilt, but the advantages that Rodman brings at SF are unmatched. I have no idea why you would say he should be at PF... unless you're hoping I'll listen to you and screw up my team. I don't want him guarding center, seriously? I've read your last evals too, you always talk about the "SF problem". Why would I play the best SF at PF?

My favorite combos so far...
felonius, I took Garnett/Pippen in my first draft league. Finished second in my division, eliminated in the second round I think. They are a great base to build from; assists, D, and rebounding advantages at two key positions. If I could go back, I would've drafted differently in the later rounds and it would have been a better team. 
eleibowitz, Barkley at 19? Steal. Camby is a great rebounder/defender.
kat, I love Durant even though my last team with him was a bust. I think you can do better with Stockton back there helping him out.
yard, Brand is an underrated beast. I took him in the second round 2 drafts ago, whoever did the evals called it a bad pick, team made the finals with him as the lead scorer. Him and Wallace may be the best combo picked so far.
evil, I like Malone and Mutombo. That team can do some damage. 

2/24/2013 11:48 AM
The draft is going pretty much how I've expected up to this point, so two of the three guys I had in mind should be on the board when I pick. Excited about that, although I don't think Vance will like the picks :)
2/24/2013 11:51 AM
Well the thing is that Gin I've never seen a Rodman at SF team win this league. If you look at all of the past owners of the last 12 championship teams listed by ash in the other forum for this league you will note that none of those teams had Rodman on it. Rodman at # 1 kills the offense later on. There's plenty of offense left for you in rounds 2 and 3 but in rounds 4 and 5 all of the offensive players to choose from either won't have much usage or will have poor defense. From what I have seen it takes between 108 total usage and 112 to win this league. I don't see enough high quality usage left in the draft when Rodman is picked  # 1 in this league.

Taking Wilt at # 1 for about 48 MPG assures you of having a 3rd scoring option with over 42% CREB and almost twice Rodman's usage. Plus, playing Rodman at SF makes it easier to game plan against your team. Basically you will end up with 3 players who for the most part will be playing inside on offense over 50% of the time.  So unless the guards are fantastic playing minus 1 or minus 2 defense is a simple solution to keep the rebounds more even vs a Rodman at SF team. 

Look if you can make Rodman work at SF, and win this league by doing it, that will be a first and I will be the first to congratulate you. From what I have seen Rodman has not been the dominant player that was used in the first round to win this league. 

Don't be concerned at all about whether or not I like the picks. I'm just trying to evaluate them and have some fun while being more mature about it than I used to be. I'm not into ripping people just to get my kicks like I used to. That being said its been over 12 hours since your last post so where are the exciting picks that I would hate LOL?

2/25/2013 12:36 AM
Thanks for the encouragement coachcroft. But with this new change of heart I can't call other owners "disabled" anymore when they take 3 players with high EFG%, tons of 3s, poor defense and terrible rebounding at the SF position to run with Shaq. I mean when I tell somebody that is the worst pick that I have seen in 2 seasons that's about as mean and nasty as I get anymore LOL.  
2/25/2013 1:14 AM
Posted by vancem on 2/25/2013 1:14:00 AM (view original):
Thanks for the encouragement coachcroft. But with this new change of heart I can't call other owners "disabled" anymore when they take 3 players with high EFG%, tons of 3s, poor defense and terrible rebounding at the SF position to run with Shaq. I mean when I tell somebody that is the worst pick that I have seen in 2 seasons that's about as mean and nasty as I get anymore LOL.  
LOL, I had Shaq along with Pierce and Nash in the ODL...didn't work that great. I got worked up the same way about 2ks NBA games in the past. I was absolutely disgusted with anybody playing online and the developers who don't know sh*t about bball. Took me quite some time to realize it's just a game. BBall can make you really go all OCD, damn statistics and everything...
2/25/2013 5:19 AM
Btw, thanks for the great evals. Wouldn't be half as fun without it.
2/25/2013 5:20 AM
vance, one thing you have to remember about no one winning the league w/ Rodman is that he's usually a top 5 pick and the people picking up there are usually (but not always) the owners that struggle. You don't see Jordan on a championship team either, or Lebron, but that doesn't mean they're not good picks. It just means the best owners are usually picking towards the middle/back of the first round, which is why you see a lot of 1st round picks taken between 12-18 or so on there. Doesn't mean people should start picking DWade in the top 5 just because owners have won with him before.
2/25/2013 9:11 AM
Posted by vancem on 2/25/2013 12:36:00 AM (view original):
Well the thing is that Gin I've never seen a Rodman at SF team win this league. If you look at all of the past owners of the last 12 championship teams listed by ash in the other forum for this league you will note that none of those teams had Rodman on it. Rodman at # 1 kills the offense later on. There's plenty of offense left for you in rounds 2 and 3 but in rounds 4 and 5 all of the offensive players to choose from either won't have much usage or will have poor defense. From what I have seen it takes between 108 total usage and 112 to win this league. I don't see enough high quality usage left in the draft when Rodman is picked  # 1 in this league.

Taking Wilt at # 1 for about 48 MPG assures you of having a 3rd scoring option with over 42% CREB and almost twice Rodman's usage. Plus, playing Rodman at SF makes it easier to game plan against your team. Basically you will end up with 3 players who for the most part will be playing inside on offense over 50% of the time.  So unless the guards are fantastic playing minus 1 or minus 2 defense is a simple solution to keep the rebounds more even vs a Rodman at SF team. 

Look if you can make Rodman work at SF, and win this league by doing it, that will be a first and I will be the first to congratulate you. From what I have seen Rodman has not been the dominant player that was used in the first round to win this league. 

Don't be concerned at all about whether or not I like the picks. I'm just trying to evaluate them and have some fun while being more mature about it than I used to be. I'm not into ripping people just to get my kicks like I used to. That being said its been over 12 hours since your last post so where are the exciting picks that I would hate LOL?

Lol.

True, Rodman's never won this league. But I've never had Rodman either.

I don't add up usage, I just keep a count of how many usage points I have. With Ewing and Ginobili, I have 12.5 in my starting lineup. Ewing's 88 defense, 55 EFG makes him a nice number one option. He did pretty well in the last league for chris_snid. With Rodman at SF, I can afford to have a below average rebounder like Ewing at C. Ginobili will be right behind him with 6 more usage points, 54 EFG, outside shooting, some assists, boards, and D at the SG position. In my experience, having two guys with 6 quality usage points in the starting line-up has worked for me.

So right now, with my first three picks, I have a good amount of D, rebounding, scoring, some outside shooting and assists. A good base and my next two picks will decide whether it is a contender or not.

Obviously, I'll need a back-up for Ginobili late which may be difficult to find. That's ok though. 
2/25/2013 9:25 AM
Well probably 2 of the best picks if not the best 2 picks of the draft so far gin. The PF position will be easy to fill but finding a 15 to 20 MPG back up for Manu will be more difficult. Who's the PG going to be . . . ?
2/25/2013 10:51 AM
Posted by vancem on 2/25/2013 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Well probably 2 of the best picks if not the best 2 picks of the draft so far gin. The PF position will be easy to fill but finding a 15 to 20 MPG back up for Manu will be more difficult. Who's the PG going to be . . . ?
I have a list of 4 guys I'm comfortable with at both PG or PF, depending on how things shake out.One of each should be available.
2/25/2013 1:33 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 2/25/2013 9:11:00 AM (view original):
vance, one thing you have to remember about no one winning the league w/ Rodman is that he's usually a top 5 pick and the people picking up there are usually (but not always) the owners that struggle. You don't see Jordan on a championship team either, or Lebron, but that doesn't mean they're not good picks. It just means the best owners are usually picking towards the middle/back of the first round, which is why you see a lot of 1st round picks taken between 12-18 or so on there. Doesn't mean people should start picking DWade in the top 5 just because owners have won with him before.
This.

UVA almost always drafted in the high 20s.  That's why I always said the funk52 draft didn't make sense and should adopt the ODL draft philosophy... in the higher cap draft league, drafting near the turn was a HUGE advantage, and the people given that advantage were the owners that did the best.  Adopting the ODL draft philosophy (which I think you are using now, right?) changes this in a big way.

I still think drafting near the top of the ODL is better than the turn, fwiw, but in the funk52... the turn all the way.
2/25/2013 4:35 PM
what a spot for ray allen to go - all the way in the mid 3rd. I was really thinking about taking him instead of Barry, he would have been an absolute monster with teams keying on Lebron. I was worried I'd end up paying for too much usage, though (would have given me 14 usage points with my first three picks).
2/25/2013 7:23 PM
almost picked ray in the 2nd
2/25/2013 8:18 PM
Thanks for the running evals, vance.  Very enjoyable and provocative.  I completely agree with your assessment of the Boozer pick.  I was desperate for rebounding and efficient scoring, but if he's not the worst defender in my starting lineup by a considerable margin then I may as well mail in the season.  It's certainly likely that the good Doctor is my SG, but I can imagine a couple of alternative scenarios.
2/26/2013 5:32 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
52 Million Draft League Evaluations Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.