ODL 46 Rosters and Commentary Topic

Westbrook's D is 65, he had 189 pf in 2861 minutes so his pf rate is only .066. His FGA/FTA ratio is 2.67 to 1 (460/575 or 80% RL FT%). Chips in a little range at 97/300 RL from the arc. 

I'm most curious to see how is 26.9% ast% plays out for the rest of my team. 

My starting 5 looks like this:

D 77.2 ave
oreb: 42.2%
dreb: 112.1%
creb: 154.3%
ast:: 84.6%
stl: 8.5%
blk: 11.0%

Usage is too high at 117.1% and 20.5 usage points but Walton/Howard will only play 12mpg together and 48mpg at either the PF or C position. 93-94 Grant and 11-12 Faried play a combined 48mpg at SF. Leaning towards the full 37mpg 3D who will play the 2 and the 4 depending on my final decisions for my bench. Figure 3D is good for close to 300 triples and I still have a rebounding advantage even if he is at the 4 for me because of my rebounding at the other four positions. Could start 3D for added range (he's a super clean player as well btw) but I'll start the season with him off of the bench. Could also start Faried, but I want to maximize his high efg% with less usage on the court. Having Scott and Grant at 10%+ ast% and Walton at 16.7% means that either Walker or Westbrook at PG will be enough assists.

RL tov% is about 13.8% which is on the high side, but one positive of too much usage is a reduced chance of individual players hitting the usage penalty and the tov% bump the engine generates is minimized.

This team is not too much different from my very first ODL squad that everyone hated and made the finals with the same Howard, plus Kobe and Pierce. I could have gone Granger in the 6th, but I've used him so much I wanted to give this a try. To me this looks like a 50-win candidate but the sim can always surprise as we all know.

2/12/2014 12:55 PM
Btw smokey, told you I'd get my 400 triples.
2/12/2014 1:09 PM
Posted by natenoy on 2/12/2014 1:09:00 PM (view original):
when you said that, Russ was my first thought
2/12/2014 1:12 PM
Posted by scudmissle on 2/10/2014 11:19:00 PM (view original):
i like both ash's and tar's analysis of their squads... refreshing to hear objectivism once in awhile. neither of those teams scare me too much... however, the owners do, so cannot count either of them out of the dance. no way, no how.

Ayatolla Rocka Rolla

Name Team Pos Usage% 2pt%# 3pt%# eFG% OReb% DReb% Ast% Stl% Blk%
    Wilt Chamberlain 66-67 76ers C 18.5 68.7 0.0 68.3 16.5 26.9 17.1 1.3 4.4
    Kevin Love 10-11 Twolves PF 23.0 48.1 41.5 51.3 12.7 32.3 9.0 0.8 0.6
    Deron Williams 07-08 Jazz PG 23.4 53.0 39.3 54.4 1.3 8.0 34.2 1.4 0.5
    Sidney Moncrief 80-81 Bucks SG 17.2 54.2 23.7 54.3 8.1 9.2 11.6 1.5 0.8
    Ryan Anderson 11-12 Magic PF 21.4 49.5 39.4 54.8 12.6 13.8 3.9 1.2 0.8
    Darius Miles 03-04 Blazers SF 22.0 53.7 20.0 52.8 6.0 11.9 9.5 1.7 1.7
    Lloyd Neal 77-78 Blazers PF 24.0 51.4 31.7 51.4 10.2 21.4 7.7 1.0 1.0

TOTALS 19357 9195 3410 6593 404 1061 1971 2848 1742 5197 2557 1382 586 568 1278

the mins work. 404-3's (40.1%) but wilt misses lots of ft's while the other 4 are in the 80%. i like having 1742 orebs. 2557 dimes are pretty good. t.o.'s a touch high. fouls are ok at 1278. the efg% is nice. but i am no dh or tarheel, or jhsukow or yard. pacific is gonna be a beast. even though this squad looks good on paper... well, as billy the kid once said: many a slip twix a cup and a lip.

good luck to everyone 
This looks like a good team, although I believe Serge Ibaka (or a player similar to him) would be a better fit as a starter instead of Kevin Love.
2/12/2014 3:06 PM
natenoy i think ur first 5 picks were good but I'd like ur team more if (1) Westbrook had a lower usage% and higher eFG% and (2) if Dennis Scott was 100% effective at PG.
2/12/2014 3:27 PM
it died in in here nate because almost everyone has their team in and ready to get started!
2/12/2014 4:50 PM
Wow if coach cant win with this team...looking good. Also have to think scud will challenge for a title.
2/12/2014 7:12 PM
I'll get my team in tomorrow. :-)
2/12/2014 10:41 PM
Posted by natenoy on 2/12/2014 1:09:00 PM (view original):
I was refering to getting much in the way of tres vs the 2 def90's in my backcourt. I never had any doubt you could draft them.
2/12/2014 11:10 PM
Posted by badja on 2/12/2014 7:12:00 PM (view original):
Wow if coach cant win with this team...looking good. Also have to think scud will challenge for a title.
agreed !!!
2/12/2014 11:12 PM
i did a like/dislike for all the teams...enjoy

1 - iccoachb - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Joakim Noah, Stephen Curry, Cedric Maxwell, J. Harden, D. Lee, S. Novak

l - awesome inside-out mix...this is a scary offense

d - the backcourt defense is awful and the boards are light...kareem is gonna need to drop 40 a night

2 - banditone - Moses Malone, Buck Williams, Walt Frazier, Chris Mullin, Rudy Larusso, Joe Dumars, Johnny Green,

l - another "unique" squad from the basement brawler...and like all his others, he has a team that will win the ft battle..seriously...ive never seen bandit lose that battle..ever

d - and like all his other teams...he screws it up in the 5th

3 - scudmissile - W. Chamberlain, Kevin Love, Deron Williams, Sidney Moncrief, Ryan Anderson, D. Miles, Loyd Neal 

l - wilt/love is an unfair combo of boards and low fouls

d - anderson/love is an awesome combo of defensive suckitude...the pacific thanks you for this one weakness

4 - mikee1 - Lebron James, Ray Allen, Tom Boerwinkle, A.C. Green, Emeka Okafor, Kyrie Irving, M. Landsberger

l - okafor was such a perfect pick...you needed a lil more paint scoring but didnt want to step on lebron/allen's toes...keeps the rebounding elite too

d - works great here(especially with boerwinkle) but i still say lebron should be used as a sg...so many good pgs drop to the 3/4 rounds and too many times ive seen a lebron team short on ast%

5 - jcred5 - Michael Jordan, Serge Ibaka, Anthony Mason, Rajon Rondo, Andre Drummond, Mark Eaton, P. Griffin

l - jordan might drop 35 a night...its definitely his show...defense is right there with trb for leagues best

d - this reminds me of the 01 sixers team with iverson....and this league isnt a crappy eastern conference....gonna be tough to win games when only 1 guy is gonna give you consistent offense...no 3pt shooting either...or boards...damn..hate to say it jcred but you might want to grab a futon because youre gonna be living in the basement

6 - dh555 - Dennis Rodman, Chauncey Billups, Tracy McGrady, Pau Gasol, Dale Davis, Jim Les, A. Varejao

l - i feel like this team can win even when we shoot well under 50%(which will be often) thanks to very good rebounding and low fls/tos...chauncey could have a big year playing next to mcgrady

d - i didnt get to finish out my plan...i wanted to grab my backcourt in 2/3 and then snag either dirk/amare/ewing in the 4th and round out the team with reb/defense guys for my other big...reallllly wanted dirk...especially after i got billups/mcgrady...those 3 would have given me a lethal combo of usg/3s/fts/low tos....but dirk and amare went, and i ******* out on ewing and ended up with gasol(cheaper,cleaner)...i like my team but they wont overwhelm anyone with the offense or defense...im basically counting on boards and efficiency to separate myself from the pack...you suck postage

7 - natenoy - Dwight Howard, Bill Walton, Horace Grant, Kenneth Faried, Darrell Walker, Dennis Scott, R. Westbrook

l - dont think boards are gonna be a problem this time around...

d - you dont seem to like taking advantage of your early picks...last odl you took big ben and then immediately paired him with another low usg boarder in lucas...then you had to bump lucas(and not use that awesome 68-69) to sf when you took amare...last dh52 you took durant then decided to draft 2 more sgs in west and allen instead of focusing on making durant the focal point and building around him...now you have dwight and the first guy you paired with him was another defensive big who rebounds...you also followed up the amazing ho grant with another sf...you were already good there..why waste money on an elite backup who does things you already have in abundance when you dont have any guards yet?...sure, westbrook might work out better than expected, but i cant ever see him being the top dog on a championship team

8 - benhoidal - Karl Malone, Jerry Lucas, Steve Nash, Yao Ming, Tony Kukoc, Jon Barry, Fred Hoiberg

l - malone/lucas gives me a chubby...and the ultimate offensive odl pg nash joins them in the 3rd!?...ive got full wood

d - the last 4 picks made me turtle...yao was especially bad

9 - amerk1180 - Shaquille O'Neal, O. Robertson, Bobby Jones, Don Buse, Jayson Williams, J. O'Neal, A. Brooks

l - that you rolled the dice on oscar...the salary is a huge concern(especially since you already had shaq) but hes got 1st round talent and you can play him 48 a night if needed when you run into fatigue

d - (stifler voice) jermaine!...what the f*ck are you doing here!?

10 - thisredbox - Dwayne Wade, Elton Brand, Gary Payton, Tree Rollins, Oliver Miller, Leon Powe, Manute Bol

l - 4th round for tree is pretty much where hes gonna be going from now on with so many teams focusing on defense...no 90+ defender can rebound like he can that late in the draft

d - no perimeter or paint threats usually equal a bad offense...not that youll be worried about your offense

11 - jkaye24 - Chris Paul, Hakeem Olajuwon, Wes Unseld, Jose Calderon, Cedric Ceballos, Chris Gatling, J. Moon

l - anytime you have a high usg/high d big, you can always set yourself up to steal an elite rebounding big with poor d...unseld is usually the best of that bunch

d - i think hakeem is best used on ugly defensive squads...the calderon/ceballos picks suggest youre gonna try to win with mostly offense...not sure if cp3/hakeem are a good enough 1-2 punch to get it done

12 - theyard2 - David Robinson, Julius Erving, Terry Porter, Kris Humphries, Terry Tyler,Patrick Ewing, C. Anthony

l - terry tyler!...always have a soft spot for guys who have been on my draft league championship teams...tyler is one of the rare stud sf defenders who can guard sgs as well...good boards..good shooting...surprised hes not used more(more so in the 52 league)

d - ewing/anthony are pretty much perfect to back up dr. j/drob...but also expensive...i cant imagine the guys behind porter/tyler/humphries will be all that good

13 - superrobb420 - Kevin Durant, Anfernee Hardaway, Bob McAdoo, Bill Bridges, Mike Miller, B. Bowen, R. Beaubois

l - thats a frightening backcourt...didnt we recently establish penny as a 1/2 turn guy?....next thing you know its gonna be a lebron/penny backcourt and then were really gonna be screwed

d - mcadoo..yes yes..thats amazing value in the mid 3rd..completes your big 3 with a scorer down low...bridges was a perfect pick...a sf who boards,dishes to the big 3, and can play good d on 3/4/5s...loooved the first 4 picks....then miller/bowen screws it all up for me...oreb% was easily the biggest need after the first 4 picks and miller/bowen give you none....i still like the team but now you have a disadvantage on the boards

14 - postage - Artis Gilmore, Gerald Wallace, Terrell Brandon, D. Nowitzki, J. Tinsley, B. Outlaw, George T. Johnson

l - the 5th round snag of tinsley..im sure that ****** off a bunch of owners..hes probably the best(him or ward) backup pg in the league if you want some d

d - you stole dirks chance to shine in this league by stealing him from me...dirk and rodman were meant for eachother, and you ripped them apart...you cold hearted bastard...i was gonna go all out and use the big boy dirk...the scoring close to 30, leading the league in ftm dirk...but no, once again poor dirk has his balls chopped off in another supporting role(please ignore jh's success doing this last season haha)...i hate it

15 - ashamael - Charles Barkley, Jason Kidd, Paul Pierce, A. Bynum, Samuel Dalembert, D. Gadzuric, N. Mohammed

l - barkley(highest usg player - always a good idea) and bynum dominate the paint...kidd and pierce drain 3s...perfect recipe for a killer offense

d - defense? we dont need no stinkin defense

16 - seapilots - Tim Duncan, Shawn Marion, Eddie Jones, Swen Nater, Gus Johnson, Jason Terry, Adrian Dantley

l - nater fits like a glove between timmy and marion...great frontcourt

d - coulda waited until the 5th to grab jones and gotten a pg with more ast%(mookie,kj,calderon) in the 3rd

17 - robocoach - Kevin Garnett, Larry Nance, Mookie Blaylock, Zelmo Beaty, Peja Stojakovic

l - great to see peja bombing away again...curious to see if he can still go for 25+ a night...he should get the chance with this squad

d - the kg/nance pairing doesnt make sense to me...02-03 kg is almost rodman like with the defense/boards flexibility at the 3...why waste it

18 - mcdarsh - Bill Russell, Kevin McHale, Alonzo Mourning, Jerry West, Dennis Johnson, Grant Hill, Sidney Lowe

l - could be scary with all that ast% and the solid d....

d - but youre using 96-97 grant hill...the kiss of death...you lose

19 - krishnaman - Manu Ginobili, Shawn Kemp, Brent Barry, Mark Price, Chris Andersen, Roy Tarpley, Paul Millsap

l - i like the floor balance...plenty of paint scoring and tons of 3s...birdman! birdman!

d - buncha hacks down low...20+ fpg easily

20 - jusukow - Ben Wallace, Tyson Chandler, Clyde Drexler, Amare Stoudemire, Mark Jackson, Rudy Gay, D. Jordan

l - its no 07-08 but that 09-10 amare is still a big time scorer..and no worrying about his boards since hes playing the 3

d - amare, drexler(always seems to underwhelm offensively to me) and rudy gay(?) have a ton of pressure on them to score the ball every game

21 - tarheel - Larry Bird, Donyell Marshall, Robert Parish, Charlie Ward, Nate McMillan, Brandon Roy, JR Smith

l - i hate bird at the 2...grab oreb% at the 4/5 and enjoy the ast/3s/low fls/ from his natural 100% 3 spot..now marshall wouldnt be my ideal pf here but im glad to see bird playing sf...will you bring out the big boy bird though?

d - i know you probably will add more but you have a whole lot of missed 3s on the team without much oreb% to clean them up

22 - eleibowitz - J. Stockton, S. Pippen, Chris Webber, Andrei Kirilenko, C. Weatherspoon, J. Van Breda Koff, C. Lee

l - webber gets to play at his natural 100% pf/c for once instead of 97% at sf

d - free stockton! poor guy should be leading an uptempo 120+ a night offensive monster instead of these ugly grinders

23 - felonius - Magic Johnson, Marcus Camby, Marques Johnson, Mel Daniels, Derek Harper, A, Sabonis, A. Jamison

l - wtf is mel daniels doing in the 4th...i feel like this happens every draft...felonius drafts near the bottom and winds up stealing 2 really good players at the 3/4 turn(usually marques too right?) to combine with his already solid first 2 picks and ends up with a great balanced squad

d - could have used more 3s from the sg spot...tough to argue against harper though..especially since hid d was needed

24 - smokey57 - Kobe Bryant, Dikembe Mutombo, Elgin Baylor, Maurice Cheeks, A. McDyess, C. Dudley, Charlie Edge

l - dudley was a great pick...17%oreb and 69 d for a very cheap price...great odl backup big

d - you can argue all you want for why you drafted baylor...but theres no argument for taking him in the 3rd...that was dumb
2/13/2014 5:21 PM
I cackled like a witch after reading your opinion on my team.  Thanks for that.
2/13/2014 10:32 PM
Great read dh. I planned on Westbrook from the start and I KNEW he'd be there in the 6th since he's never been taken here. Also figured Walker would last until the 5th and assumed 3D would be there for me as well in the 6th. So, when I took Faried in the 4th I was 90% sure what I was going to be able to get in rounds 5 and 6, 4th was too early for my other guys and Faried would have been gone by the 6th. Once I passed on Pierce in the 3rd for Grant I mapped out my remaining guys and they all were there ( I also locked myself into the idea of either 12-13 Westbrook or 12-13 Melo with the Grant pick). If Westbrook works out then he may not be a 6th rounder in the future, if he doesn't then he likely won't be drafted again. As far as a Westbrook build goes, I like this mix. This was never going to be a Howard only squad.
2/13/2014 11:58 PM (edited)
If Westbrook ends up the way I see him, he could be a guy people consider when TMac comes off the board. Happy I got drexler and amare, but they priced me out of the Westbrook sweepstakes. He was on my board from the start.
2/13/2014 11:56 PM
I literally lol when I read your dislike of my team.  Thank you for that.  Far the SL defensive ratings of 59, 61, 56, 56 & 82!  And just to excite you a little more:  it doesn't really get any better when I go to the bench, either!

At least I get to end my ODL run with the guy that started it... Let's go, Chuck!  Show 'em we're not turrible even though your grandma can play better D than 9 or 10 of the guys on my team!!

2/14/2014 3:05 AM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10 Next ▸
ODL 46 Rosters and Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.