DH $52M Draft League XLIV Topic

closer to 1
3/11/2014 10:50 AM
Posted by vancem on 3/11/2014 12:31:00 AM (view original):
Okay natenoy you got Wilt so now what id the strategy? I think that you should go for a team that blocks over 20 shots per game. I have a great defensive unit that is averaging over 18 blocks per game and is doing quite well in the 987 league. Or how about a combo between 25 total blocks and steals per game? Or just trade all of your picks for all of my picks in a nice fair and square trade???
I really don't think 66-67 Wilt should be used in this league any more. At least I have the ability to assure he won't be used next season.
3/11/2014 11:50 AM
the controls in place are simple - make sure the worst owners draft Wilt (not a reflection on you nate, that's just circumstantial) and it wont be a problem - someone like Tar gets the first pick? well that is an issue but otherwise everyone needs to man up....
3/11/2014 10:32 PM
felon, no I've earned my position in this league with consistent mistakes in strategy. You already know that I'm going to use a different Wilt than the one that should be used. Since I didn't have to trade away so many valuable picks to get him this time and given what I learned from the last time with him I'll likely attempt to get the 50ppg Wilt his 50 AND make the playoffs in the process. Personally I'd take more satisfaction in getting that Wilt to the playoffs than winning a title with the 66-67 version. 
3/11/2014 11:01 PM
Hmmm....  5 or 6 different owners have won with Stilt in draft leagues recently.  

3/11/2014 11:08 PM
Posted by natenoy on 3/11/2014 11:01:00 PM (view original):
felon, no I've earned my position in this league with consistent mistakes in strategy. You already know that I'm going to use a different Wilt than the one that should be used. Since I didn't have to trade away so many valuable picks to get him this time and given what I learned from the last time with him I'll likely attempt to get the 50ppg Wilt his 50 AND make the playoffs in the process. Personally I'd take more satisfaction in getting that Wilt to the playoffs than winning a title with the 66-67 version. 
Well that is commendable Nate.  You should easily make the playoffs I would think.
3/11/2014 11:09 PM
Isn't the purpose of the #1 pick to select the BEST player?  The fact that the #1 pick's next selection is 47 picks away balance things out.

3/12/2014 2:44 PM

PLAYER MIN FGM/FGA 3PM/3PA FTM/FTA OREB REB AST BLK STL TO PF TP
66-67 Wilt Chamberlain* 48 10/13 0/0 3/4 6 14 10 7 2 3 1 23

To be frank, nothing can balance out 48 minutes of Wilt.

Wilt used to be waaay out of realistic salary ranges.  He was used only in super high cap leagues or he took up so much salary that he was a liability on a team.   Jordan was the same story.

But....the salaries are so much lower now than they used to be that the cap in both the 52 and ODL should really be lowered.  It used to be better to draft from the middle or the end, but that is not the case in either league. 

Now you have to have a top 10 stud (really top 5, but many don't know how to draft so the good ones still fall) to win here.  It even took Ash a top 10 pick to get a chip here, but he regularly won drafting from the middle in the ODL.

As long as we can surround Wilt and Dwight with excellent role players, they should dominate.  So my answer would be lower the cap rather than ban players. 

$45 mil for the ODL and 49 or 50 mil for this league would be a good start. 

3/13/2014 8:54 PM (edited)
Think about this:  why are Gary Payton and Kobe Bryant being drafted in the 48+ range?!    That is how out-of-whack the sim/league is. 
3/13/2014 9:10 PM (edited)
go start your own league

meanwhile can we start drafting or what?
3/13/2014 9:38 PM
Posted by felonius on 3/13/2014 9:38:00 PM (view original):
go start your own league

meanwhile can we start drafting or what?
Apparently its or what
3/13/2014 10:10 PM
closer to 1 and should someone smail 98 or does nate need to make his pick official?
3/13/2014 10:26 PM
remember the last time i tried to start the draft before the actual order was set?...it wasnt pretty

and im not getting rid of the slot selection...so we just have to wait another day until tarheel finishes sweeping me

badja...i dont think the cap is the problem..especially in the odl(ask scud how easy it is to fit a really good team around wilt with only 47m)...the problem is that the owners getting wilt now are better than the ones that used to always get him...simple as that...hes always been dominant...its just now hes always being used correctly...buncha sharks in this league now..i miss jethro haha

3/14/2014 12:05 AM
also badja....once again..you DO NOT need a top 10 pick to be successful in this league....felonius and vance won 55 games picking near the bottom and steelers and jkaye won 50+ picking near the middle
3/14/2014 12:10 AM
Posted by badja on 3/13/2014 9:10:00 PM (view original):
Think about this:  why are Gary Payton and Kobe Bryant being drafted in the 48+ range?!    That is how out-of-whack the sim/league is. 
Because there are 46 better players?
3/14/2014 2:49 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...28 Next ▸
DH $52M Draft League XLIV Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.