D2 Season 61 Topic

My crappy, dead conference (and meh OOC scheduling) has me involved in one of the best 8/9 matchups I've ever seen. E. Stroudsburg U. versus Pittsburg St.
12/23/2012 11:16 AM
Posted by mduncanhogs on 12/23/2012 10:28:00 AM (view original):
NT time. Who do you like?

On another note, if you like OT thrillers go read the play-by-play of the instant classic Heartland Conference CT final last night.
OK, that Heartland game was ridiculous.  4 OTs, with regulation and each OT having a made shot to tie/win.  The box score is wild too.  First time I've ever seen a bench player play 40 minutes.  And it should be a case study on the effectiveness of the double-team (see:  "Combs, Terry").  Can't believe Combs is only a Soph...

East and West look loaded at first glance.

12/23/2012 11:19 AM
Holy chit! That West bracket is brutal. A bloodpit.
12/23/2012 12:13 PM
Here goes the jinx, also known as 'My Picks"

Midwest-  Grand Canyon
East-         Wisconsin-Parkside
South-       Lander
West-        St. Mary's
12/23/2012 2:09 PM
Midwest Final:  U of Indy over Grand Canyon (dark horse:  Concord)
East Final:  Wisconsin-Parkside over Seattle (dark horse:  Charleston, Pittsburg St)
South Final:  Belmont Abbey over Lander (dark horse:  Franklin Pierce)
West Final:  St Mary's (TX) over Longwood (dark horse:  every 1st round game has someone that could make a deep run)

The West is full of land mines:

#16 seed St Edward's:  Longwood's 1st round opponent has a win over #2 seed St Mary's and a 2OT loss to the same St Mary's team.  2nd most athletic team behind Wisconsin Parkside and a very uncomfortable matchup.

#15 seed W. Virginia Wesleyan:  St Mary's (TX) 1st round opponent owns a win over #6 RPI St. Rose. 

#14 seed Northeastern St:  CSU-Santa Barbara faces the team with the highest rated players in D-II.  NE St was a disappointing 18-10, but it took 2OTs for St Mary's (TX) to beat them and CSU -Stanislaus a single OT.

#13 St Michael's:  Lost to the #6 & #9 RPIs by a combined 5 points.

#12 Wingate:  Coached by Johnny5, so had awful SOS.  In their only game against NT competition, lost to #6 RPI by  6 points.

#11 Fairmont St:  Win over #8 RPI.

#10 Limestone:  Talented CVAC team owns a win over #1 seed Belmont Abbey.

And those are your double-digit West seeds,
12/23/2012 2:45 PM
Posted by davefilby on 12/23/2012 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Midwest Final:  U of Indy over Grand Canyon (dark horse:  Concord)
East Final:  Wisconsin-Parkside over Seattle (dark horse:  Charleston, Pittsburg St)
South Final:  Belmont Abbey over Lander (dark horse:  Franklin Pierce)
West Final:  St Mary's (TX) over Longwood (dark horse:  every 1st round game has someone that could make a deep run)

The West is full of land mines:

#16 seed St Edward's:  Longwood's 1st round opponent has a win over #2 seed St Mary's and a 2OT loss to the same St Mary's team.  2nd most athletic team behind Wisconsin Parkside and a very uncomfortable matchup.

#15 seed W. Virginia Wesleyan:  St Mary's (TX) 1st round opponent owns a win over #6 RPI St. Rose. 

#14 seed Northeastern St:  CSU-Santa Barbara faces the team with the highest rated players in D-II.  NE St was a disappointing 18-10, but it took 2OTs for St Mary's (TX) to beat them and CSU -Stanislaus a single OT.

#13 St Michael's:  Lost to the #6 & #9 RPIs by a combined 5 points.

#12 Wingate:  Coached by Johnny5, so had awful SOS.  In their only game against NT competition, lost to #6 RPI by  6 points.

#11 Fairmont St:  Win over #8 RPI.

#10 Limestone:  Talented CVAC team owns a win over #1 seed Belmont Abbey.

And those are your double-digit West seeds,
That was my feeling as well. Not only are the high seeds good, the low seeds are good too. The West is an absolute blood pit. I'm not making picks this year. Too wide open.
12/23/2012 9:16 PM
I've got Belmont Abbey beating Grand Canyon in the title game. There are 20 juniors and seniors between the two teams and they are very good players.
12/23/2012 10:18 PM
Screw it. I'll make picks.

PICKS

MIDWEST - Grand Canyon does look like a juggernaut
EAST - UWP... frick I'm taking the chalk. Unlike me.
SOUTH - Lander in a walk. There are at least 8 teams in the West I'd pick over Lander if they were in the SOUTH. I'm serious.
WEST - Longwood. Have too. He beat me in the final last year and basically has his whole team back.

FUNZIES

MIDWEST - Humboldt St. Just sounds like a kickass name. Humbolt. Sounds like a gun I'd like to own.
EAST - The winner of the Pittsburg St / ESUP game. It was stated before, but deserves to be stated again. That is a serious 1st round matchup and 2nd round matchup for UWP. I'll be surprised if whoever survives the 1st 2 rounds between those 3 teams doesn't win the region. (All apologies sammyboy)
SOUTH - This region is a joke. Really. My team toyed with B-A. I don't get the love there. Maybe Pomono here. Just because that name sounds cool. And it's not a cop-out because they're a 2 seed. I never do this but this region sucks.
WEST - In all the analysis of the West region above, no one mentioned that W Ga was undefeated until I beat them in the CT final last night. So add them to the mix. But I'm going with NE State here. Never count burkboyz out and his team is much better than the team I beat in Yarnell.
12/24/2012 12:22 AM
kinda hard to play the NT when you lose your quarterback PG in a season-ending injury in your CT championship game. As expected, I lose round 1 because of it. Have fun all.
12/24/2012 2:30 AM
Posted by hackerhog on 12/24/2012 2:30:00 AM (view original):
kinda hard to play the NT when you lose your quarterback PG in a season-ending injury in your CT championship game. As expected, I lose round 1 because of it. Have fun all.
Awful luck, hacker!   I once had a center miss the NT after getting injured in the CT. It happened to the poor sap TWICE...his junior and senior seasons.
12/24/2012 4:26 AM
Well, if we win the west, we definitely will have earned it. I took one look at our 1st round matchup, as well as the region as a whole, and then said "are you ****ing me????"

The South seems like the weakest region, other than Lander and Bel Abbey.  The west is completely ridiculous. Can't believe that St. Ed's team was a 16 seed. Grand Canyon is starting to steamroll people - though i'm still sticking with UWP as my title pick. 
12/24/2012 1:06 PM
Some upsets in round #2.  Defending champs Longwood fell to Mercy.   #1 seed Belmont-Abbey lost to Mesa St.   

There are two #1 seeds and two #2 seeds remaining. Two #3 seeds and two #4 seeds are gone as well
12/25/2012 4:43 AM
Yeah, the entire CVAC is out...pretty shocking. Up by 11 at the half, we had a complete 2nd half collapse and could not make a shot at all. 
12/25/2012 9:29 AM
Posted by bbunch on 12/25/2012 9:29:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, the entire CVAC is out...pretty shocking. Up by 11 at the half, we had a complete 2nd half collapse and could not make a shot at all. 
Santa WIS put you and Belmont Abbey on the naughty list.
12/25/2012 10:04 AM
Gonna try something new for tonight's game. Post yours if you see this in time.

Lock of the night - Lander -4 vs Goldey Beacom.

Most likely underdog to win straight up - Fairmont St.   They've been darn good since non-conference play and face a coach who has 100% of his NT wins this season.
12/26/2012 7:32 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
D2 Season 61 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.