Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

I don't know how many people will be able to use that strategy successfully.  You more or less have to take a non-BCS/no elite conference, be the dominant force in it, then convince coaches to join it (but not good enough to topple the big dog), and ride the wave of mediocre teams to NC appearances.
9/22/2010 9:04 PM
There are going to be a couple teams taking me down in the Big MAC in the very near future...
9/22/2010 9:28 PM
Posted by tcochran on 9/22/2010 9:04:00 PM (view original):
I don't know how many people will be able to use that strategy successfully.  You more or less have to take a non-BCS/no elite conference, be the dominant force in it, then convince coaches to join it (but not good enough to topple the big dog), and ride the wave of mediocre teams to NC appearances.
It's hilarious how far behind the curve you are. 
9/22/2010 10:27 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 9/22/2010 10:27:00 PM (view original):
I was not saying it would be easy, not every coach would be able to use this to his advantage, but its been shown a few times that Non BCS teams can schedule mediocre teams on their schedule, then play a inferior conference schedule, go undefeated, and play in the NC game. If you are in a BCS conference you can't avoid BCS teams, you have to play them in conference.
9/23/2010 6:03 AM
2 seasons of denied challenges.  You're doing what I said to a T.

You've beaten some better teams in the past, but you could very well end up in the NC again with your schedule this season.  It's not by mistake.

9/23/2010 6:17 AM (edited)
Posted by plague on 9/23/2010 6:03:00 AM (view original):
I was not saying it would be easy, not every coach would be able to use this to his advantage, but its been shown a few times that Non BCS teams can schedule mediocre teams on their schedule, then play a inferior conference schedule, go undefeated, and play in the NC game. If you are in a BCS conference you can't avoid BCS teams, you have to play them in conference.
And those same teams could just as easily miss the NC game because their schedule was too light (thanks to a vastly inferior conference schedule). We've been over this before, there are two sides to this coin. The genius of UCF and Miami OH is the filling of the rest of their respective non-BCS conferences.
9/23/2010 8:19 AM
Posted by dravz on 9/23/2010 8:19:00 AM (view original):
And those same teams could just as easily miss the NC game because their schedule was too light (thanks to a vastly inferior conference schedule). We've been over this before, there are two sides to this coin. The genius of UCF and Miami OH is the filling of the rest of their respective non-BCS conferences.
It's not about what could or could not happen. I am showing how you can game the system by using Nelson as a example. What are the odds of winning with a Non BCS team taking on mediocre schedule compared to taking on a BCS team like Indiana who plays 5 elites? Only 2 teams make the NC game, of course you could fail, but how does taking on a Non BCS team like this in comparison to lowly BCS teams?

Miami OH according to WIS has the 3rd hardest SOS. That is absurd, there is a problem in the rankings. The teams he played below is not the 3rd best SOS. My team according to WIS had the 5th hardest SOS. Below is the 3 highest ranked teams that Miami OH beat and the teams they beat. All of Miami OH teams opponents combined beat 3 BCS team, and only 1 of those teams beat a BCS team that had 4 seasons of recruits, and Miami OH played 2 BCS teams.

#22 Toledo (10-3)

Maryland (6-7, #51) defeats Toledo 28-9
Michigan (9-4,, #20) defeats Toldeo 28-10

#25 Buffalo (9-4)

Washington (10-4, #36) defeats Buffalo 35-17
Arizona St (9-4, #52) defeats Buffalo 22-21
Wisconsin (12-1, #15) defeats Buffalo 42-0

#29 Ohio

Penn St (8-5, #30) defeats Ohio 35-10

Here is the teams I played that are higher ranked the hardest team that Miami OH played............I had 3 losses, so I am not saying I deserved to play in the NC.

#6 Texas
#7 Alabama
#12 USC
#16 Boston College
#21 NC State
#23 Notre Dame

9/23/2010 9:18 AM (edited)
Posted by plague on 9/23/2010 9:18:00 AM (view original):
It's not about what could or could not happen. I am showing how you can game the system by using Nelson as a example. What are the odds of winning with a Non BCS team taking on mediocre schedule compared to taking on a BCS team like Indiana who plays 5 elites? Only 2 teams make the NC game, of course you could fail, but how does taking on a Non BCS team like this in comparison to lowly BCS teams?

Miami OH according to WIS has the 3rd hardest SOS. That is absurd, there is a problem in the rankings. The teams he played below is not the 3rd best SOS. My team according to WIS had the 5th hardest SOS. Below is the 3 highest ranked teams that Miami OH beat and the teams they beat. All of Miami OH teams opponents combined beat 3 BCS team, and only 1 of those teams beat a BCS team that had 4 seasons of recruits, and Miami OH played 2 BCS teams.

#22 Toledo (10-3)

#25 Buffalo (9-4)

#29 Ohio

Here is the teams I played that are higher ranked the hardest team that Miami OH played............I had 3 losses, so I am not saying I deserved to play in the NC.

#6 Texas
#7 Alabama
#12 USC
#16 Boston College
#21 NC State
#23 Notre Dame

So it sounds like the only thing you're saying is that your schedule was better than an undefeated non-BCS schedule and it's better to play and lose to higher rated teams and you should be in a better bowl game than an undefeated non-BCS team. That the gist? It seems like you've made the same post a couple times.
9/23/2010 9:25 AM
Posted by nelsonba25 on 9/23/2010 9:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by plague on 9/23/2010 9:18:00 AM (view original):

#22 Toledo (10-3)

#25 Buffalo (9-4)

#29 Ohio

#6 Texas
#7 Alabama
#12 USC
#16 Boston College
#21 NC State
#23 Notre Dame

So it sounds like the only thing you're saying is that your schedule was better than an undefeated non-BCS schedule and it's better to play and lose to higher rated teams and you should be in a better bowl game than an undefeated non-BCS team. That the gist? It seems like you've made the same post a couple times.
Are you disagreeing? Do you think your schedule was harder than my schedule? Who had the easier road to a undefeated season?

I think you should have to play someone worthy of a NC game to play in the NC game. History has not been kind to undefeated Non BCS teams in comparison
to 1 loss BCS teams.

2 1 Alabama 13-0
3 2 Texas 13-0
4 3 Cincinnati 12-0
4 4 TCU 12-0
1 5 Florida 12-1
6 6 Boise State 13-0

2 1 Oklahoma 12-1
4 2 Florida 12-1
3 3 Texas 11-1
1 4 Alabama 12-1
5 5 USC 11-1
6 6 Utah 12-0
7 7 Texas Tech 11-1
8 8 Penn State 11-1
9 9 Boise State 12-0

3 1 Ohio State 11-1
7 2 LSU 11-2
6 3 Virginia Tech 11-2
9 4 Oklahoma 11-2
4 5 Georgia 10-2
1 6 Missouri 11-2
8 7 USC 10-2
5 8 Kansas 11-1
2 9 West Virginia 10-2
12 10 Hawaii 12-0

1 1 Ohio State 12-0
4 2 Florida 12-1
3 3 Michigan 11-1
5 4 LSU 10-2
2 5 USC 10-2
6 6 Louisville 11-1
7 7 Wisconsin 11-1
8 8 Boise State 12-0

9/23/2010 9:52 AM
I like when Plague goes on a mission to save the game. Elites win too many titles cause the system is broke. Midmajors make a handful of title games cause the system is broke.

Can we get an update on the IA title list? I want to see UCFs 3 titles ahead of schools that were on your 'unfair recruiting advantage' list that couldn't be beat.
9/23/2010 9:56 AM
Posted by ebel331 on 9/23/2010 9:56:00 AM (view original):
I like when Plague goes on a mission to save the game. Elites win too many titles cause the system is broke. Midmajors make a handful of title games cause the system is broke.

Can we get an update on the IA title list? I want to see UCFs 3 titles ahead of schools that were on your 'unfair recruiting advantage' list that couldn't be beat.
Why can't both be a problem? Does it have to be either or?  does it make a midmajor better than a elite team because he won 8 non bcs con games and 5 cupcake OOC games?  Do you honestly believe there is no problem with this picture? This is the way it should be?
9/23/2010 10:03 AM
And for like the 10th time, Marshall beat FSU last year in Camp. Let's go over that again. Marshall was 0-8 in conference CUSA. 0-8. Doormat. 1-12 overall. The exact kind of team you guys say is so unfair to play for ranks.

FSU was a tougher team to beat than anyone mr tcochrings Oklahoma team played. Well except Bama who creamed them.

So shouldn't Marshall be ranked ahead of Oklahoma? Who cares about all those mediocre OU wins, Marshall beat a tougher team than OU.

WE ARE MARSHALL!!!!
9/23/2010 10:03 AM
Posted by ebel331 on 9/23/2010 10:03:00 AM (view original):
And for like the 10th time, Marshall beat FSU last year in Camp. Let's go over that again. Marshall was 0-8 in conference CUSA. 0-8. Doormat. 1-12 overall. The exact kind of team you guys say is so unfair to play for ranks.

FSU was a tougher team to beat than anyone mr tcochrings Oklahoma team played. Well except Bama who creamed them.

So shouldn't Marshall be ranked ahead of Oklahoma? Who cares about all those mediocre OU wins, Marshall beat a tougher team than OU.

WE ARE MARSHALL!!!!
It's impossible to have all teams ranked higher than every team they beat. I would think you would know that. That still does not dismiss that you should have to beat someone to make the NC game.
9/23/2010 10:07 AM
Posted by plague on 9/23/2010 10:03:00 AM (view original):

Why can't both be a problem? Does it have to be either or?  does it make a midmajor better than a elite team because he won 8 non bcs con games and 5 cupcake OOC games?  Do you honestly believe there is no problem with this picture? This is the way it should be?
It is a little of both. I don't think Miami OH should be in titlle game and Id guess Nelson would agree. But Ive seen plenty of BCS and elites, I've done it myself, 'game the system' through scheduling. Just cause a schhol is BCS or Elite doesn't make them tough to beat and just cause a team is nonbcs doesn't make them a turd.

9/23/2010 10:09 AM
Posted by ebel331 on 9/23/2010 10:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by plague on 9/23/2010 10:03:00 AM (view original):

It is a little of both. I don't think Miami OH should be in titlle game and Id guess Nelson would agree. But Ive seen plenty of BCS and elites, I've done it myself, 'game the system' through scheduling. Just cause a schhol is BCS or Elite doesn't make them tough to beat and just cause a team is nonbcs doesn't make them a turd.

Who the hell is saying its only about Non BCS teams. I have stated its both, the thing is its easier for Non BCS teams because they do not have to play a BCS conference. You bring up others like Oklahoma, but even Oklahoma had a tougher schedule than Miami Oh and I challenge you to find a more deserving team. If this was real life both Miami FLA and Ohio St would of made it over Miami OH.
9/23/2010 10:12 AM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...19 Next ▸
Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.