GD Survivor- Hits of the 80's. WINNER CROWNED Topic

The Final Challenge

Although it’s not an 80’s video, I thought this guy did a great collaboration of Michael Jackson songs in this acapella youtube  sensation, and as a tribute to MJ , who held the most powerful idol in this game and one of the greatest influences in all of 80’s music– I’m going to use this video for the last one you all will have to watch.

For the last challenge, we will combine Fantasy Football with a confidence pool. 

There are 3 college games on Saturday and 14 NFL Games Sunday.  You can only use each GAME for each pick.

You must decide which game you will use to choose a team to get confidence points, and which games you will use to build a fantasy team for fantasy scoring.  Your confidence pool should be filled out as follows (20 being the game you are most sure about)

Your fantasy roster will be:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
DEF

Fantasy scoring will be:

6 POINTS PER PASSING, RUSHING, OR RECEIVING TD
1 Point per 20 passing yards
1 Point per 10 Rushing yards
1 point per 10 Receiving yards
-3 Per Interception
-3 Per Fumble Lost
3 Points per Field Goal

-1 Per Missed Field Goal
DEF:
Total points scored against  0-7 :: 30 points
Total points scored against  8-13  :: 20 points
Total points scored against  14-23:: 10 points
Total points scored against  24-34:: -10 points
Total points scored against  35+ ::  -20 points
3 Points per interception
2 Points per sack

You will receive the number of confidence points for games you chose correctly according to the above guidelines.

Best total score goes to the final two and chooses who he wants to take with him.

Remember you can only choose one selection per GAME, so if you want to use Tom Brady as your QB, you can not pick New England (or Green Bay) in your confidence pick.

Good luck to all in the final challenge.

Tiebreaker1:  The number of different MJ Songs parodied in the above video
Tiebreaker2:  Most points scored by your Fantasy QB
Tiebreaker3:  Most points scored by your Fantasy DEF
Tiebreaker4: First to get it to me

12/17/2010 11:41 AM (edited)
Good job guys, damn Blues couldn't get me my 6 team parlay.  I hate hockey.

Thanks pola for running the game.  I had a blast playing, good distraction from life most days.  Good luck to the final 3, will be interesting to see how this plays out. 
12/17/2010 11:37 AM
I think I have gotten the most votes in the game.
12/17/2010 12:14 PM
Just an FYI on the schedule....

Monday, the winner of this challenge will choose who he is taking to the final two.  The two finalists will have a full day to write their "closing speech" and the person who the winner of this challenge takes with him will post their speech by 2PM Tuesday.  The final challenge winner then has until Midnight to post their speech/rebuttal.

The council will vote Wednesday, and if all goes as planned I will post  the game summary Wednesday Night or Thursday  (I have some great letters to post from the "Letter to Home", the idol clues and what they meant, and of course name the champion.

Congrats to the final three, and good luck in the final challenge.

Final Challenge due by Noon tomorrow, btw.
12/17/2010 12:27 PM (edited)
What made the MJ idol the most powerful?
12/17/2010 1:22 PM
Posted by livemike on 12/17/2010 12:14:00 PM (view original):
Even though you had immunity, I figured I'd stay consistent.
12/17/2010 2:03 PM
Wow...I have been watching this unfold and just wishing I had gotten in on this :).

Great job pola...
12/17/2010 2:07 PM
Posted by livemike on 12/17/2010 1:22:00 PM (view original):
What made the MJ idol the most powerful?
I did.

Basically, the order of the idols' powers was:

POP
ROCK
COUNTRY
HIP HOP

Which means, if you had played the POP idol on the same vote at the same time as the Rock, Country, or Hip hop idols, those idols would not have worked in the presence of the pop.

The hip hop idol would only work if one of the others wasn't present.

That's how dubs always did it and thats how I did it, however after I came up with the locations and after one was found - I thought of a way to do it differently, which dubs may like to use in a future game.

I was actually thinking gving each of them a different power, but telling the finder of the idol what that power was.  One thing could be like the hip hop idol would not work in the presence of any other idol (making it the least powerful), but you could play it to protect you and one other person from a vote.

The country idol could be played once, and if it was not needed to protect you from a vote, it would be returned to you (once), but in the presence of Rock or Pop it became void

The Rock idol could have some other advantage, with the disadvantage of not working if in presence of pop, etc.

That isn't how I did it this time, but just a thought I had adding some depth to the game idols... and of course everyone would know what their idol could do / couldn't do so it puts a little more strategy into it.

But to answer your question, Pop was the most powerful since it would work no matter what idol was played, and the reason it was the most powerful is because they were ranked in the order of 80s music types that I like from 1st to last :)
12/17/2010 2:17 PM (edited)
Posted by csudak on 12/17/2010 2:03:00 PM (view original):
It's funny how this game plays out. I was the one that wanted to keep you over awags but you tried to turn that against me. It might have been a bad move on my part since at that point there was zero risk to myself to vote you out and keep him instead. But I felt like I had let awags stay in too long already and wanted him out. You voting against me there was only time I've been mad at someone over this game.

I atually intended to work with wags early on but he lost me when he kept me in dark for dublinuf vote. I think I got him back when I ousted cmhbuck cause we didn't talk much after that lol.

Dubs vote was early on but it may have been biggest game changer. I suspect would have played out much differently had he stayed for a bit.
12/17/2010 2:33 PM (edited)
Just wait until after the game and I can read some of the letters you guys wrote me... then you will laugh your *** off.
12/17/2010 2:30 PM
I like the idea of different powers for different idols. They didn't really come into play much this game but it was still nice to have them if for no other reason than to know who didn't have them.

I actually tried giving away an idol twice. The first time was to save a guy getting voted out so I could blindside awags instead, but the guy declined it! I'd guess that's never happened before. Then another vote I was gonna pass it again for same reason but he didnt get my message until it was too late.
12/17/2010 2:32 PM
Posted by livemike on 12/17/2010 2:32:00 PM (view original):
I like the idea of different powers for different idols. They didn't really come into play much this game but it was still nice to have them if for no other reason than to know who didn't have them.

I actually tried giving away an idol twice. The first time was to save a guy getting voted out so I could blindside awags instead, but the guy declined it! I'd guess that's never happened before. Then another vote I was gonna pass it again for same reason but he didnt get my message until it was too late.
haha.

You might want to save some of this until after the game is over, lol.
12/17/2010 2:41 PM
For those following the thread still, here are the idol clues that were given out and their locations

POP (ebel331) ~~~~~~~~ ROCK (dublinuf) ~~~~~~~~ COUNTRY (ebel331) ~~~~~~~~ HIP HOP (nelsonba25)
inside the air conditioning grate in BAD (Michael Jackson)   Outside the Tastey Freeze in Jack & Diane (John Cougar)   IN THE STEEL MILL CAULDRAN 40 HOUR WEEK (Alabama)   In the Bathroom in YOU GOTTA FIGHT (Beastie Boys)
i-A1: KING   ii-A1: FELINE WATERTENT   iii-A1: WILDCOUNTRY   iv-A1: BAD BRAINS
i-A2: ARMSTRONG NEIL   ii-A2: INDIANA TRAILBLAZERS   iii-A2: TIDE   iv-A2: IDIOTS MASTERPIECE
i-S1: TELL ME ONCE AGAIN   ii-S1: SOUL SAVIN'   iii-S1: HELLO AMERICA   iv-S1: MISSIN' CLASS
i-S2: DISOBEDIANT   ii-S2: INGE'S ACADEMY AWARD   iii-S2: NO OVERTIME   iv-S2: PROTEST
i-L1: SOMEWHERE COLD   ii-L1: MEAT SLURRY   iii-L1: SOMEWHERE HOT   iv-L1: NUMBER 2
i-L2: 2:08   ii-L2 1:01   iii-L2: 0:49   iv-L2: 1:51
(Giants::Bills) - (49ers::Broncos) = POP   (Patriots::Rams) - (Rams::Titans) = ROCK   (Saints::Colts) - (Colts::Bears) = COUNTRY   (Steelers::Cardinals) - (Patriots::Eagles) = HIP HOP

(The roman numerals represented which idol in the order of power, the "S" was for a SONG CLUE, the "A" Was an ARTIST CLUE, and the "L" Was a Location clue.  The bottom clues were sometimes random just explaining which Roman Numeral went for which Idol... So if you figured out that the Bills superbowl - the 49ers superbowl was a difference of 1, or "i", you would know all of the "i" clues were in a POP Video somewhere.

12/17/2010 2:58 PM (edited)
There's a part of me that is glad I never once received an idol clue.  I'm slightly confused seeing all of them, nevermind just one of them. 
12/17/2010 2:56 PM
Posted by livemike on 12/17/2010 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by csudak on 12/17/2010 2:03:00 PM (view original):
It's funny how this game plays out. I was the one that wanted to keep you over awags but you tried to turn that against me. It might have been a bad move on my part since at that point there was zero risk to myself to vote you out and keep him instead. But I felt like I had let awags stay in too long already and wanted him out. You voting against me there was only time I've been mad at someone over this game.

I atually intended to work with wags early on but he lost me when he kept me in dark for dublinuf vote. I think I got him back when I ousted cmhbuck cause we didn't talk much after that lol.

Dubs vote was early on but it may have been biggest game changer. I suspect would have played out much differently had he stayed for a bit.
I apologize, but in the immortal words of Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game." Nothing personal.
12/17/2010 2:59 PM
◂ Prev 1...64|65|66|67|68...72 Next ▸
GD Survivor- Hits of the 80's. WINNER CROWNED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.