Why is it that being respectful .... Topic

as a coach is a bad thing?

Example:  My resume -   I have 157 seasons with a total of 13 CC's and 0 NC's and .706 winning percentage.  In D3, D2 and D1-AA, I have never been to a Final Four.  I have been to the 3rd round a total of 3 times.  So, effectively, I am a perennial "2nd round and out" playoff coach.  And my bowl record is abyssmal.  Am I a great coach?  No.  But do I stop trying? No.  Do I quit enjoying the game? No.  Do I feel as if I am a respectable coach?  Yes.  For this I am an idiot (or worse) according to several other coaches posting here.

All over these forums I see coaches with similar resumes being called out just because their resume doesn't resemble nelson's, dravz's, plague's, slider's ... I could go on, but I hope you get the point.  We have no opinion because we suck.  We cannot post because we don't know how to win. We only like the new engine because the upper echelon doesn't know how to win either, so maybe we have a chance.  However, without  the "respectable" coaches, this game would be very uninteresting.  Not everyone can be a top coach.  There has to be top coaches, respectable coaches, mediocre coaches and, yes, even bad coaches, just like there is in real life.

Do I like the new engine?  Yes and no.  I like the new engine because it is generally more REALISTIC in terms of gameplay than the old one.  On the other hand, I don't like the new engine for the UNREALISTIC features it has introduced.  I'm not going to name them, they are all over the forums and we know what they are.  Do I think I am going to be more successful under the new engine?  At this point, absolutely not.  However, I do support the new engine.  I will have patience and hope that the bugs get worked out and fixed as soon as possible.  Even though I am not happy that I have to pay for what seems to be the "beta-testing" of the new engine. I'm going to have to start over and  figure things out. I send in tickets for the things that seem out of whack instead of posting belligerent posts on the forum screaming about how stupid it is and I'm going to quit.  I. too, have PAID for my 157 seasons while trying to make my teams as good as I could possibly make them.   I personally believe that the coaches that support the new engine, even with its'  problems, far out-number the coaches that don't.  For this, again, we are idiots.

At this point, I'd rather be respectable.

DISCLAIMER:   To my knowledge, no one hs attacked me or my resume personally.  I just have seen it many times and can easily put myself in those coaches' shoes.  
11/21/2010 10:59 AM (edited)
I tend to agree kap. I'm a decent coach, but not a great one. I play my games, do my best, and am respectful of the community. But I have read those comments as well from some of  the "great" coaches and a few of them appear to be quite juvenile.

I guess its easy to flame others because they aren't standing right in front of us.

But I never liked the old engine. No team above high school can run 90-95% of the time and win a CC let alone a NC. It was more of a math engine than a football simulator.

This new engine has a lot of flaws still (obviously). But playing sims is tougher, there are more upsets, and we have to adjust. Most of the great coaches (who don't quit) will eventually be on top again. I'm sure I'll still be mediocre, but I'm trying to learn the system and grow.

My biggest complaint is that it is harder to achieve reward points. Money is tight and it will be harder to build up free seasons as frequently as before.
Good luck.

11/21/2010 11:15 AM
I think it depends on the context.  If this stems from the recent thread for coaches leaving, when people feel they have been attacked, they tend to attack back in some way. 
11/21/2010 11:49 AM
Posted by kapkidd on 11/21/2010 10:59:00 AM (view original):
as a coach is a bad thing?

Example:  My resume -   I have 157 seasons with a total of 13 CC's and 0 NC's and .706 winning percentage.  In D3, D2 and D1-AA, I have never been to a Final Four.  I have been to the 3rd round a total of 3 times.  So, effectively, I am a perennial "2nd round and out" playoff coach.  And my bowl record is abyssmal.  Am I a great coach?  No.  But do I stop trying? No.  Do I quit enjoying the game? No.  Do I feel as if I am a respectable coach?  Yes.  For this I am an idiot (or worse) according to several other coaches posting here.

All over these forums I see coaches with similar resumes being called out just because their resume doesn't resemble nelson's, dravz's, plague's, slider's ... I could go on, but I hope you get the point.  We have no opinion because we suck.  We cannot post because we don't know how to win. We only like the new engine because the upper echelon doesn't know how to win either, so maybe we have a chance.  However, without  the "respectable" coaches, this game would be very uninteresting.  Not everyone can be a top coach.  There has to be top coaches, respectable coaches, mediocre coaches and, yes, even bad coaches, just like there is in real life.

Do I like the new engine?  Yes and no.  I like the new engine because it is generally more REALISTIC in terms of gameplay than the old one.  On the other hand, I don't like the new engine for the UNREALISTIC features it has introduced.  I'm not going to name them, they are all over the forums and we know what they are.  Do I think I am going to be more successful under the new engine?  At this point, absolutely not.  However, I do support the new engine.  I will have patience and hope that the bugs get worked out and fixed as soon as possible.  Even though I am not happy that I have to pay for what seems to be the "beta-testing" of the new engine. I'm going to have to start over and  figure things out. I send in tickets for the things that seem out of whack instead of posting belligerent posts on the forum screaming about how stupid it is and I'm going to quit.  I. too, have PAID for my 157 seasons while trying to make my teams as good as I could possibly make them.   I personally believe that the coaches that support the new engine, even with its'  problems, far out-number the coaches that don't.  For this, again, we are idiots.

At this point, I'd rather be respectable.

DISCLAIMER:   To my knowledge, no one hs attacked me or my resume personally.  I just have seen it many times and can easily put myself in those coaches' shoes.  
Do people hate you because you're a mediocre coach?  No.  Do they think think you're an idiot because you answer all your own questions?  Yes.
11/21/2010 12:00 PM
I agree kap.  Treatment of regular coaches are abysmal.  We have opinions and believe it or not some knowledge.  People have no clue on here what our backgrounds are.  Just as all professionals and all tradesmen are not the greatest in everything, neither are we.  I am by far not dumb.  At one time I was the most highly trained "electrician" in the Chrysler Corp.  I trained others in PLCs, Drives, Welding, Electronics, Process Control, Instrumentation, Torque Fastenings, Boiler Control. etc.  I have certificates I can't even count anymore.  With all that High tech knowledge I still had to ask other electricians for help reading a stupid old fashioned print.  The point is, though we may not be good yet or ever, we still have something to offer.  Even if it is what doesn't work.  We know what we like and dislike and our voices and money are just as important as anybody elses.  Though someone has the right to disagree with me they certainly shouldn't attack me personally for my views about this game.  This is not the only things in life we like.  I'm a Christian, a life long member of the NRA, been playing guitar for 45 years, was a Professional Bowler before I got hurt, was asked to play semi pro hockey, was a top volleyball hitter in the 70s and 80s, yada yada yada, I know, big deal.  The thing is we get attacked when I'm sure we all have other things in common besides this game.  It seems the way of our younger generation and the anonymity that being behind a keyboard brings.  I don't like the propensity of trash talking going on but the generation before me didn't like things about us either.  I remember my parents sent me to bed when Elvis appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. Just different times.

I don't like this new game but that is better than it was 2 days ago because I hated it then.  It seems I have a semblance of control now.  Not as much as before but more may come as they fix it.  I definately don't like being the Beta tester on my dime.  Since we have a council they should have done it.  If they had gotten a leg up on us with the revision, so what.  They earned it.  Guys like nelson are top notch.  He doesn't like me for crap yet if I ask him he will help me.  He and the other council members do not hide their knowledge.  If they would have Beta tested they would have also told us what to do to be successful.  They aren't going to draft for us or make out our game plan but they won't hide anything either. 
11/21/2010 12:02 PM
Do people hate you because you're a mediocre coach?  No.  Do they think think you're an idiot because you answer all your own questions?  Yes.

He's posing the question, he can answer it.  It is a technique used to help get a point acrossed.  Most of the younger generation are too quick to criticize over a mismatch of communication skills.  Frankly, I helped my kids and grandkids with their homework and I can't believe the things not taught anymore.  Without a computer or calculater most youngsters are lost.  We used to do spreadsheets before computers.  The younger generation is VERY good at about anything virtual.  That seems to be the biggest generation gap now.  The older generation for the most part, just doesn't get Hip Hop.  The lack of respect is appauling to us.  We don't approve of pants hanging down your butts and for petes' sake, didn't anybody ever show you the proper way to wear a hat?  These are generation things but there is no excuse for bad manners and the younger generation is terrible.  How many young men leave their hats on indoors?  How many open the car door or building doors for their woman let alone anybody else?  Is it really to much trouble to say thank you when somebody holds the door for you or lets you pull out on to the road?  Why is it most young people can't look you in the eye when they talk to you?  I see what is comming up and I don't like it.  My parents thought the youth were getting out of control and look where our country is now.  Now my generation thinks the youth are way out of control.  What is it going to be like for my grandchldren?  Kap has a point.  Try to be civil is all he's asking.  If you don't respect us at least respect our right to voice our opinion.
11/21/2010 12:20 PM (edited)
I agree kap.  Treatment of regular coaches are abysmal.  We have opinions and believe it or not some knowledge.  People have no clue on here what our backgrounds are.  Just as all professionals and all tradesmen are not the greatest in everything, neither are we.  I am by far not dumb.  At one time I was the most highly trained "electrician" in the Chrysler Corp.  I trained others in PLCs, Drives, Welding, Electronics, Process Control, Instrumentation, Torque Fastenings, Boiler Control. etc.  I have certificates I can't even count anymore.  With all that High tech knowledge I still had to ask other electricians for help reading a stupid old fashioned print.  The point is, though we may not be good yet or ever, we still have something to offer.  Even if it is what doesn't work.  We know what we like and dislike and our voices and money are just as important as anybody elses.  Though someone has the right to disagree with me they certainly shouldn't attack me personally for my views about this game.  This is not the only things in life we like.  I'm a Christian, a life long member of the NRA, been playing guitar for 45 years, was a Professional Bowler before I got hurt, was asked to play semi pro hockey, was a top volleyball hitter in the 70s and 80s, yada yada yada, I know, big deal.  The thing is we get attacked when I'm sure we all have other things in common besides this game.  It seems the way of our younger generation and the anonymity that being behind a keyboard brings.  I don't like the propensity of trash talking going on but the generation before me didn't like things about us either.  I remember my parents sent me to bed when Elvis appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. Just different times.

Don't blame Elvis dude.  Your parents were just probably sick of hearing you boast all day. 

In all seriousness.  That is quite a resume.  Nothing sadder than a professional bowling career getting cut short.  Kids these days all think the lanes are paved with gold and they are all going to be the next Mark Roth with the groupies and all.  They just never consider the physical rigors and that one wrong twist or move, popping too hot a french fry in your mouth between frames and "poof"...it's all gone.  I think it's joke that the PBA doesn't require a year of DI from these kids before going pro.  No....now it's all about the bling and the glamour of the tour.  How are you going to keep the boy down on the farm when they see the bright lights of Milwaukee.  God I miss Earl Anthony.

But what is this "Chrysler Corp" you speak of? 

11/21/2010 12:27 PM
I agree.  Elitism on the internet and especially in online games is becoming ridiculous and absolutely stupid.
11/21/2010 12:29 PM
kapkidd (or anyone) -
       Could you point out something that is more realistic in this version of GD over the last?  I'm simply not seeing anything that I would call an upgrade.
11/21/2010 12:34 PM
He's posing the question, he can answer it.  It is a technique used to help get a point acrossed.  Most of the younger generation are too quick to criticize over a mismatch of communication skills.  Frankly, I helped my kids and grandkids with their homework and I can't believe the things not taught anymore.  Without a computer or calculater most youngsters are lost.  We used to do spreadsheets before computers.  The younger generation is VERY good at about anything virtual.  That seems to be the biggest generation gap now.  The older generation for the most part, just doesn't get Hip Hop.  The lack of respect is appauling to us.  We don't approve of pants hanging down your butts and for petes' sake, didn't anybody ever show you the proper way to wear a hat?  These are generation things but there is no excuse for bad manners and the younger generation is terrible.  How many young men leave their hats on indoors?  How many open the car door or building doors for their woman let alone anybody else?  Is it really to much trouble to say thank you when somebody holds the door for you or lets you pull out on to the road?  Why is it most young people can't look you in the eye when they talk to you?  I see what is comming up and I don't like it.  My parents thought the youth were getting out of control and look where our country is now.  Now my generation thinks the youth are way out of control.  What is it going to be like for my grandchldren?  Kap has a point.  Try to be civil is all he's asking.  If you don't respect us at least respect our right to voice our opinion.

Don't look at me.  I always hold the van door open for the ladies...and have hatless sex inside while looking right in their eyes.  And believe me...they say "thank you."  But I'm with you on the Hip Hop, Grindi.  Don't get it.  It's mostly Foghat and cool jams in my ride. 
11/21/2010 12:46 PM (edited)
I was hoping it wouldn't be taken as brag.  I was using an example although I am proud of my accomplishments.  Losing everything I had hoped to do after retirement because of being hurt 3.5 hours before retiring really sucked.  But when one door closes others open.  It's been 5 years and there is a good chance I may bowl next year.  I'll probably not reach the same level but the journey to try is what is important.  I may not be able to walk good anymore but I can swim like a fish.  Things change, that's life. I spent the month of Sept in Fla with my brother and actually managed to golf pretty good.  I can no longer swing like my hair is on fire and surpise surprise, I didn't lose all that much distance.  I also didn't lose any balls.

One thing I did learn though.  I was retiring to spend more time with my wife.  She's 10 years older and has scoleosis really bad.  There aren't all that many "good" years left.  Well I can tell you, 24/7 with her really SUCKS.  We've argued more in the last 5 years than in all the other years combined.  Pain makes you irritable and pain killers loosen your yap.  Gad, we can get on each others' nerves.  When I was bedridden for 2 out of the first 2.5 years, I'm surprised neither one of us had a trip to the looney bin.
11/21/2010 12:45 PM
More realistic??? hmmmmm, We now have ILBs, OLBs, DTs, DEs; and a designated FB.  Maybe we can get a halftime show.
11/21/2010 12:48 PM
Posted by grindi on 11/21/2010 12:49:00 PM (view original):
More realistic??? hmmmmm, We now have ILBs, OLBs, DTs, DEs; and a designated FB.  Maybe we can get a halftime show.
No offense, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I had a designated FB prior to the update.  As for the DB/LB/DL changes, could these have not been made without a complete overhaul of the engine?  I also think you are giving WIS alot of credit assuming that these new positions make any difference in how plays are simmed, given the obvious current bugginess of the engine.
11/21/2010 1:15 PM
Posted by ssandy33 on 11/21/2010 1:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by grindi on 11/21/2010 12:49:00 PM (view original):
No offense, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I had a designated FB prior to the update.  As for the DB/LB/DL changes, could these have not been made without a complete overhaul of the engine?  I also think you are giving WIS alot of credit assuming that these new positions make any difference in how plays are simmed, given the obvious current bugginess of the engine.
 Whatever anyone has told you, the was NO blocking back in the old engine.  It was a farce.  Ask the top coaches, they will tell you.

As for the current engine, as Shifti pointed out, there are NOT any NC caliber teams in todays game who run a 95% run offense.  The WB and option offenses of the 80's and early 90's are gone, my guess is forever.  So, in my opinion, that was unrealistic, Not to mention all the depth chart loopholes you could manipulate to your advantage.  If we still had some control over the effectivenss percentages, I would like the new single depth chart better.  But as of now, it isn;t my favorite change.

As bad as it is having a run normally be just 2 yards in the current engine (I personally think that is a little low), it forces the 95% run teams to at least implement some sort of a passing game to their gameplan.  That would be more realistic.  The new engine is far from perfect but it does make the game more realistic in several ways.  The specific positions (ILB, OLB, etc.) are a nice addition.  The fact that we can't control who plays in what formation, isn't.  I agree with most that the OL rarely subs, except through injury, throughout  the game.  But there are many teams that utilize a two-back system and there are alomost always a blocking TE and a receiving TE.  And defensive players sub consistently for situational purposes and we can no longer control that.  But if improvements are being made currently and more improvements to come, I will keep trying to figure the current engine and be patient.
11/21/2010 3:21 PM (edited)
And I wasn't even going to give you the time of day potter444 but I changed my mind.  You are the perfect example of the way we are disrespected in this game.  You had absolutely nothing constructive to say.  Just personal attacks for your own amusement.  And believe me, it is for your OWN amusement.  I would bet that a very select few found you humorous.  No one asked you to post, so you decided to do so on your own.  Why?  Do you feel better about yourself?  Did you get a kick out of it?  Are you a badass now?  Yep.  It's real east to be a badass across an internet forum.  Please, go be proud of yourself elsewhere.  Your rhetoric is not needed here.

And grindi, the generational respect point you made.  Agreed.
11/21/2010 3:03 PM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
Why is it that being respectful .... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.