Why is it that being respectful .... Topic

Political Science... Is that not the biggest oxymoron ever lol.

That "degree" should be deemed worthless
11/23/2010 12:18 PM
Posted by crcummings on 11/23/2010 12:14:00 PM (view original):
bc, I have put into words what you fail to grasp.  That is the problem, you do not understand.  It is not my failure to explain.  You believe people put on the uniform to protect the American way.  That is but a small part of the reasons people wear the uniform.  Being part of something bigger than yourself is a simple, yet difficult to understand concept.  Someday you may get it.  Have you ever given directions to a total stranger?  Have you ever picked up a candy wrapper from the sidewalk and placed it in a trash can when nobody was watching?  Those are examples of what I it means to be part of something greater than yourself, but on a much smaller scale.
ok, i think i may understand what you are saying now. I have done those same examples you have given among other unrecognized good deeds that people do. My thought has always been that you do those things, just because you are a good person and you couldnt imagine not doing them. Like helping the handicaped or elderly when you see something wrong instead of just ignoring it and driving along. I think I understand now what you are saying when you speak of putting on the uniform for something bigger than yourself. Not to protect the American way or anything like that, but to just serve something greater. That is something I can accept the logic behind. I can understand the emotions and driving force behind wanting to serve a greater purpose beyond the mostly insignificant lives we human beings live. Am I correct? My only thing is, why the military? You could still feel that same purpose in life doing things such as volunteer work anywhere locally, or joining in the humanitarian efforts trying to bring clean water to children in Africa or prevent the spread of AIDS.

I understand that need for fullfillment, purpose and wanting to feel apart of something greater than yourself. What I dont get is why be a part of something greater if that in the end, what you were a part of may not have been the greater good. There are so many other options that people can look to in trying to be apart of something greater, that will actually do the greater good for not only America, but the world?
11/23/2010 12:42 PM
Posted by flexmagnum on 11/23/2010 12:18:00 PM (view original):

Come on, are you serious? So if my ambitions in life are to become an attorney, possibly teach classes on American politics, and hopefully one day make a possible run at local office and you never know maybe a  run at something greater an undergrad degree in political science is worthless? Really? Please explain what is so worthless about that? Should I rather become a buisness major so that I am better prepared to work as a civil rights lawyer? Come on, let me guess you have a buisness degree? No, a degree in some sort of technical field like programming, correct? Well each of those degrees were about what the feild you wanted to enter was all about. Can you guess what a political science degree is about..... it teaches you about what politics is all about so that you may be better prepared for what politics are all about if you enter into a political life.

Then again, maybe you have no degree, in which case I am just goin to smile and laugh while i finish typing this scentence
11/23/2010 12:53 PM
Posted by bcsuperfan23 on 11/23/2010 12:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dravz on 11/23/2010 9:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bcsuperfan23 on 11/23/2010 12:43:00 AM (view original):
It has to do with the size of the military and the amount of money which is geared toward funding the war machine. Simply put, you cant justify spending so much money on the military if you are not going to be fighting in any wars. If you buy 20 new bombers at $500 million a piece you arent going to just let them sit at some American air force base collecting dust, you are going to deploy them somewhere and drop some damn bombs. When that happens the people who profit from the sale and construction of those bombers are going to have influence over the decision to engage in conflict, which is wrong. That is what it has to do with.
Obviously you've never actually worked in any government capacity because there really are billions of dollars in equipment collecting dust at every military post around the world.

Contractors don't dictate policy, congressmen do. You are getting your boogeymen mixed up.
first, the fact that there are billions of dollars worth of weapons collecting dust is irrelavant, those weapons were most likely already used to kill some poor schmuch somewhere.

Second, of course the contractors dictate policy. Who do you think finances the campaigns for those congressmen to get elected? Answer me this, why are the parts for a single fighter plane manufactured in like 30 different states? Because, it forces congressmen to support the building of new ones so as not to lose a few hundred jobs, and as a result hundreds of votes, back in their home districts. This is not done by coincidence. These corporations and lobbyists have intertwined themselves so much with our government officials its getting so hard to tell who is working in whose interest anymore. Yea, the congressmen dictate the policy but when a congressman who voted to increase military spending and go to war retires from office and then immedeatly gets a job making 5 million a year to lobby for Haliburton I think it is safe to say that there was something nefarious going on and make the leap that those corporations do in fact hold an influence over policy
Contractors do not dictate policy any more than any other industry 'partner' does in Washington. Yes they have influence, but so does every large industry with many jobs in a congressman's district -- the auto industry (omg GM bailout), the airlines (omg airline bailout), banks and financial institutions (omg bank bailout), just to name a few. That's what it means to be a special interest group and a lobbyist in Washington, they all "dictate policy" by your definition. Every corporation has "intertwined" themselves because that's how our democracy works today.

And planes and whatever else are manufactured in many different states (if this is actually even true and not something you just read on the internet by some hyperbolic blogger) because of how the government bidding process works. Congressmen are not in the acquisitions business.

Furthermore, they are often hired on to companies who have government dealings because they know how things work on the government side, and this applies equally to former congressmen becoming lobbyists, taking over universities, or getting on NASA's board of directors, etc. You keep singling out defense contractors like they are especially evil when the fact of the matter is it's status quo.

I don't care what your political party is, I'm just pointing out you are being unfair to some amorphous group of defense contractors because of your political beliefs. We get it, you don't like wars or "American Imperialism," that doesn't mean defense contractors are getting sent to a special level of hell, ok.
11/23/2010 1:47 PM
Then again, maybe you have no degree, in which case I am just goin to smile and laugh while i finish typing this scentence
irony++
11/23/2010 1:49 PM
Posted by bcsuperfan23 on 11/23/2010 12:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by flexmagnum on 11/23/2010 12:18:00 PM (view original):

Come on, are you serious? So if my ambitions in life are to become an attorney, possibly teach classes on American politics, and hopefully one day make a possible run at local office and you never know maybe a  run at something greater an undergrad degree in political science is worthless? Really? Please explain what is so worthless about that? Should I rather become a buisness major so that I am better prepared to work as a civil rights lawyer? Come on, let me guess you have a buisness degree? No, a degree in some sort of technical field like programming, correct? Well each of those degrees were about what the feild you wanted to enter was all about. Can you guess what a political science degree is about..... it teaches you about what politics is all about so that you may be better prepared for what politics are all about if you enter into a political life.

Business is correct Sir, and it has served me pretty well.
11/23/2010 2:00 PM
Amen, flexmagnum.  I have a BS in Management and an MBA.  I also have a BS in Human Behavior.  All have served me very well.  

For bc, I chose the Marine Corps because the US military has done more to serve the rest of humanity than any humanitarian organization or charity.
11/23/2010 2:19 PM
Besides, I was just joshin ya BC.

I know no degree is worthless, hell that piece of paper is the most expensive thing I've bought lol...

I just like making fun of Poly Sci majors because the oxymoron to me is just perfect
11/23/2010 2:41 PM
Posted by crcummings on 11/22/2010 10:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bcsuperfan23 on 11/22/2010 9:15:00 PM (view original):
The question cummings is not why do you fight once you are in uniform, but why you make the choice to put it on in the first place. If it was because of this sense to fight for your country's freedom and the cause of democracy then you were unfortunatly misinformed and people need to stop the spread of this misinformation
Misinformed?  You, sir, are the one who has been misinformed.  When you live for something greater than your own self-interest, write me back and tell me how you feel about sacrificing a part of your life and soul for something bigger than you can imagine.  You are going to interpret what I said as some sort of misguided patriotism because you have no idea what I mean when I say living for something greater than your own self-interest. 
Well said Cummings.  I am member of a competitve Squash team and have worked with the organization "Scentence Structure" building eco-friendly, fragrant homes from aerosol cans in Guam.  When you're out there, you don't think about the big picture.  But at the end of the competiton, or after you frame that last can, and you're hanging out in a bar drinking a beer it's all about the guy to your left and right.  No more, no less.  Some people just don't get that.
11/23/2010 3:41 PM (edited)
I'd share a bath house with you anytime, potter.
11/23/2010 3:33 PM
Posted by dravz on 11/23/2010 3:33:00 PM (view original):
I'd share a bath house with you anytime, potter.
?
11/23/2010 3:41 PM
Well played, sir.
11/23/2010 3:42 PM
Wow,  a lawyer or a politician.  Who'd a thunk that?  Most politicians are self centered, liars, unscrupulous, con men, thieves, and cowards.  Most ambulance chasers are that and bulls!t artists out to cheat anybody they can out of a dollar with the compassion for others comparable to an earthworm.  Not ALL so don't misconstrue it.  I'd say you're fully qualified with your Political Science degree.  God help America from these future fools.  I'm glad I won't be here to see it.  Jackasses of your ilk are so concerned about the feelings and well being of those overseas it is sickening.  Look right in our own back yard at the plight of the American Indian.  Fix that before you give our country away to the Taliban.
11/23/2010 7:15 PM
Haha.
3/3/2013 1:32 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9
Why is it that being respectful .... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.