What do you think? D1 recruits Topic

OK so lets say we get the top 3 QBs considered by WIS in the D1 recruiting ranks, I know there are differences between WIS cores and GUESS cores, but do you think there is a specific to these recruits that generates them their position rank or do you just think it generates randomly?

For instance the #1 QB in D1 recruiting pool may be the #5 QB in the GUESS rankings,the #2 in WIS may be the GUESS #4 and the #3 WIS recruit may be the #1 GUESS QB. Do you think there is something to these WIS generated recruit ranks or is it just a matter of randomness?
2/24/2011 8:22 PM
I would assume that WIS uses the same equations they use for determining if a recruit falls within your vision.  If that's true, they're really old equations that weren't very accurate and probably still aren't very accurate.

Here's an approximation of WIS's equation for a QB.  This is based on the rankings for if a recruit falls in your vision.
1.16*ATH + .95*SPD + .44*DUR + .66*WE + 1.07*STA + 1.78*STR + 0.41*BLK + 0.37*TKL + .41*HAN + 1.82*GI + .98*ELU + 1.98*TEC

Edit: I just checked my Wilkinson Season 67 recruit pool, and that equation still accurately ranks QBs such that there's a clear cutoff between QBs in my vision and QBs out of my vision.

2/24/2011 8:40 PM
How did you come up or find these formulas Greg?
2/24/2011 10:57 PM
I used several season's worth of recruits and ran a genetic algorithm to find the best equations that accurately predict whether a recruit will or won't be in my vision.  My equations aren't 100% accurate, I'm guessing because WIS takes into account some recruit property we can't see (formation IQ or potential maybe?).  They're pretty darn close though.  They can give you a good idea of where you stand vision-wise, but they're not much good for anything else.  I don't have one for each position, but that's only cause I'm too lazy to run the genetic algorithm for all of them.

I actually posted about this a long time ago...but that was before anyone knew who I was, so most people probably thought I was just crazy.
2/24/2011 11:08 PM (edited)
Posted by yatzr on 2/24/2011 11:08:00 PM (view original):
I used several season's worth of recruits and ran a genetic algorithm to find the best equations that accurately predict whether a recruit will or won't be in my vision.  My equations aren't 100% accurate, I'm guessing because WIS takes into account some recruit property we can't see (formation IQ or potential maybe?).  They're pretty darn close though.  They can give you a good idea of where you stand vision-wise, but they're not much good for anything else.  I don't have one for each position, but that's only cause I'm too lazy to run the genetic algorithm for all of them.

I actually posted about this a long time ago...but that was before anyone knew who I was, so most people probably thought I was just crazy.
I still think your crazy!!
The mad scientist of GD.
2/24/2011 11:14 PM
Posted by yatzr on 2/24/2011 11:08:00 PM (view original):

You algorithm lacks theoretical justification, and there has been experimental results have been published that draw the veracity of this hypothesis into question.
2/25/2011 12:24 AM
What do you think? D1 recruits Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.