Uneven classes on your team Topic

I didn't fully realize the ramifications of this when I picked up Curry, but my first recruit class had 21 incoming, the one that starts tomorrow I will have another 18.

I will have 4 SRs and 6 JRs on the roster this year.  This doesn't sound like a great way to build a strong team consistently year to year.  It sounds like a team that can make a run 2 years out of 4.

Has anyone had any experience (or success) with this kind of class imbalance? 

Thanks in advance.

JC
5/22/2012 4:57 PM
If you want to balance it out a bit, redshirt the max 3 players that you can.  

To answer your original question, yes.  My Howard team, a couple seasons ago, I had to recruit 22 new players (after reaching the semis).  With that new class I still advanced to the quarterfinals the next season.  
5/22/2012 5:10 PM

IDK how well it works at DIII, but I have had solid success with large classes at D1 (my UConn team).  When I first picked up the team, I had 21 and 18 scholly's over the first two seasons. I have brought the number down to 19 and 17 by redshirting players which is always an option in balancing your classes.
There could be an advantage of having more scholly's at DIII since it's only $3,000 per scholly.  If you are a solid recruiter, you can probably get 1/2  of your guys for cheap and battle for a some top guys or recruit a few long distance recruits. 

5/22/2012 5:33 PM
It depends what your goals are.  If you want to compete year in and year out, you might want to balance the classes.  If you want a really good Jr and Sr team, leave it as is.

I personally enjoy the competitive team that I have when my 22 starters are Juniors and especially Seniors.  But it's not for everyone.  I also like to recruit with 22 scholarships worth of recruiting cash.

5/22/2012 6:20 PM
I believe it was vick or damauler, who does this and whose team is so good they started winning NC's as freshmen and sophomores.

5/22/2012 6:21 PM
Posted by bhouska on 5/22/2012 6:20:00 PM (view original):
It depends what your goals are.  If you want to compete year in and year out, you might want to balance the classes.  If you want a really good Jr and Sr team, leave it as is.

I personally enjoy the competitive team that I have when my 22 starters are Juniors and especially Seniors.  But it's not for everyone.  I also like to recruit with 22 scholarships worth of recruiting cash.

Yep, that's what my team (at least the years, not the skill level) will look like in 2 seasons.  You are talented and deep!

I could correct it somewhat by redshirting like others have suggested, but that really only shifts three guys in one class, and I plan on redshirting guys every year so the shift will be perpetual, so to speak.

5/22/2012 6:52 PM
Posted by bhouska on 5/22/2012 6:21:00 PM (view original):
I believe it was vick or damauler, who does this and whose team is so good they started winning NC's as freshmen and sophomores.

Can't I just be both???

I have indeed had some great success with large classes. Basically all 3 teams on this id are "large" class teams. Capital is the big boy class with 33 in one group, Winona has 24 in this current class and Hiram is my every other year class where my recruiting is 3-20-3-21-3 leaving me with 23 or 24 man class every other year. Here is what they have done...

Hiram- Took me the longest to become a NC contender. In fairness, Year 63 I only recruited 3 guys. So Year 67 is the 1st Big Group of guys I graduated. Since then we have made 2nd round of playoffs or further 7 of 8 years. The last 2 seasons the big class was Jrs., they lost in the Semi's. The last big class as Srs. lost the NC game. Next years group is a Sr. heavy group.

Winona- Has one large class of 24. Here is what they have done as Srs. since I have been there...

66- TBD
62- NC
58- Lost NC
54- NC
50- Lost in Semi's

In the Non-Sr. years, we made playoffs every season, 9 times we have been to the Quarters or further with 2 NC game's with one a win.

Capital- 33 man Sr. Class. Here is what the Sr. Class has done...

79- NC (17-2)
75- NC (19-0)
71- NC (19-0)
67- NC (19-0)
63- Lost in Semi's (1st team...was still making big class...7 sims I believe on this team)

This group has also won 3 NC's when they weren't Srs. In the "who woulda thunk" dept., they won those as...Jrs., Soph's, and Fresh!!!

I also have a balanced group at Valdosta that won 2 in a row, but my honest opinion is this. In this engine, having a large group for 1 class likely gives you a better chance at a NC every 4 years than a balanced class does. 
5/22/2012 7:28 PM
Try this one on for size

Class of 50... Brilliant.
5/22/2012 7:34 PM
Posted by caesari on 5/22/2012 7:35:00 PM (view original):
Try this one on for size

Class of 50... Brilliant.
Wow. I am in awe. That has to come from many seasons of strategic redshirting and cutting scholarships.
5/22/2012 8:35 PM
Vick12, thanks for the insight. That itrack record is worthy of attempted emulation!
5/22/2012 8:44 PM
That 50 team is impressive.  I think the best set up I have seen was a year or so ago a DIII team had 25 SR and 25 SO.   Forgot who that was though ha
5/22/2012 9:23 PM
Posted by trombumpet on 5/22/2012 9:23:00 PM (view original):
That 50 team is impressive.  I think the best set up I have seen was a year or so ago a DIII team had 25 SR and 25 SO.   Forgot who that was though ha
I've wanted to do this kind of thing, or at least what damauler has at Hiram
5/22/2012 9:27 PM
LOL, yes vick, you can be both.
5/22/2012 9:43 PM
Posted by caesari on 5/22/2012 9:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by trombumpet on 5/22/2012 9:23:00 PM (view original):
I've wanted to do this kind of thing, or at least what damauler has at Hiram
The 25/25 thing sounds good on paper but isn't as sound as what I have at Hiram. With that method, you would never utilize redshirts. With the way I have it at Hiram, I recruit 3 guys who redshirt into the large classes. Every other year I basically recruit 3 then 20.

That 50 man team is overkill in this engine tbh. I think in the old engine where stamina mattered more, that team model makes a lot more sense. 
5/22/2012 10:56 PM
12 Next ▸
Uneven classes on your team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.