Posted by biggamefan on 6/6/2012 4:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by govolswoo on 6/4/2012 12:04:00 PM (view original):

i use interest in SIMs as my first cut, before i even look at attributes to narrow down the pool im gonna actually scout.
if a guy has SIMs on him before the first cycle i will not even consider him 9 times outta 10 (if not higher)
there are just too many fish in the DIII sea to bother battling with SIMs.
I dont think i've battled a SIM for more than one or two guys in the last 5 classes.

And I am the opposite. I do not care if he has a sim on him because I can beat sims the way I said earlier. I always go after attributes. The only thing that will make me drop (give up on) a recruit is if a human with more prestige than me is on him. Or when playing D1AA if a D1 school is on him.
Yes there are other fish in the sea, but I am only interested in the best I can get for my team. I am sorry some feel you can't beat sims at D3 but you can. And no I do not fight sims on every last one of my recruits. Maybe 40% of them. I just do not back down from a sim.
again, the point (at least in DIII) is not that you cant beat a SIM but that there is usually no need to.
there are just so many guys that are more-or-less equal attribute-wise. I mean for any given scoring/ranking system, there could be literally several dozens of guys within a point or so of each other, so that your #1 target is really more-or-less the same attribute-wise than your 50th target.
yes things can vary wien you factor in potential and WE, but as far as primary and secondary attributes, dont think of things as a concrete ranking of 1-whatever but rather a whatever-way tie for first place.
you can certainly knock off SIMs with enough money spent smartly enough, but why spend $4,000 to sign your #4 prospect when you could spend $400 to sign the #12 prospect who will end up playing more-or-less the same in the game enigne anyway? Yes, #4 is technically better than #12, but only by the slimist of measurable margins, and there will probably be no decernable difference in gameplay.
Plus there is a random attribute to growth within WE/Potential combos. I've started lookin into this and it appears that 2 guys with the same WE and same potential level and same game experience will not have the exact same growth rate.
So if the way players play in the engine and grow through the seasons are a little fuzzy there is no need to be uber-precise in who you recruit (i.e. spending $5,000 to knock off SIMs for your #1 WR when you could have had your #8 WR with just an AC scout)

6/7/2012 10:23 AM

Do you feel like OL with a higher STR indicate better run blocks and a higher TECH indicate better pass protectors?

6/7/2012 3:41 PM
NOPE.  For pass blocking its unclear to me...but for sure, BLK is absolutely #1 for running game.   I run the ball like a crazy fool in Heisman.

See Norberts post from about 3-4 months ago on "Anatomy of a Running Play".
6/7/2012 9:25 PM
Posted by xuix on 6/7/2012 3:41:00 PM (view original):

Do you feel like OL with a higher STR indicate better run blocks and a higher TECH indicate better pass protectors?

All three make better blockers GI will be real important in pass pro he has to read the blitz and stunts. I do think that the engine puts all the ol numbers in and the out come is based on the group. I rate strength and blocking as equals I also look at athletic skills ,speed and tec I built my formulas custom but I recommend the Guess reports as a good starting point. You will want to look at GPA as well as that will tell you how well he will learn the offense but I plug that in last.

I looked at other teams that were winning and studied them and watched the player progression and helped me set up my practice plans which are huge in this game imop.I would focus on teams that run formations that you plan on running. Pick a system( formation plans) and stick with it.
6/7/2012 11:01 PM
Against a good running team would you play a more aggressive defense or conservative?
6/18/2012 11:40 AM
Aggressive
6/18/2012 12:15 PM
This is probably a very basic question, but where exactly do u find your vision rating/grade?
6/18/2012 3:13 PM
There isn't an actual grade but once the season rolls over you'll be able to see the pool of recruits you can choose from.
6/18/2012 3:17 PM
Thank you!
6/18/2012 3:21 PM
Yatzr has published his "scale" which is an approximation of how your vision compares from season to season. Also could be compared to other teams. It's on here in another thread from about a year ago.
6/19/2012 3:19 PM
Posted by caesari on 6/18/2012 12:15:00 PM (view original):
Aggressive
I think the answer is much deeper than this one word answer. 
6/19/2012 3:32 PM
Posted by mlongshot18 on 6/19/2012 3:34:00 PM (view original):
Aggressive
You are right, it is much deeper than my answer. But, that is the basic gist of it. 
6/19/2012 4:20 PM
It has been my understanding and it is how I view the game that
1) very agressive is a all out commitment to stop either the run or the pass. The game is on the line or your in a must stop. You are selling out to make the play if you miss the opponent the offense will get a huge play.On defense.you could see a tackle for a loss teams tend to sell out on GL stops. 

If on offense and your passing your going deep hail Mary or your running wide in a run for your life a play that could see the ball carier take risk with the ball.

2) agressive passing is more down field passing and wide runs. Defense is a agressive attacking sometimes blitzing defense
Offense runs wide.

3) Balance is a split between all the choices.

4) conservative is a defense that is avoiding the big play not taking risk. Offense is passing short running mainly inside once in a while a pass play or a sweep.

5) Very conservative is a  defense  playing prevent, off the los, willing to give up short plays think of prevent defense. On offense its a
run between the tackles hold onto the ball. Throw only to wide open WR on short passing plays.
6/19/2012 5:10 PM
Posted by hyeena on 6/19/2012 4:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mlongshot18 on 6/19/2012 3:34:00 PM (view original):
Aggressive
You are right, it is much deeper than my answer. But, that is the basic gist of it. 
No wonder we gouge you with the run game every time.Think about it this way.

Your aggressive LB over pursues about once or twice every ten plays(just an example) and when he does my RB cuts it back and makes BIG Yardage. Who do you think comes out ahead in the long run ?

If you will think back your APP State team the first year you had them.They were  a GREAT team.The Pass game was unstoppable.Yet my running game got as many yards as your passing game when we played...............................allowing me to stay close and win in the end.If you went aggressive or very aggressive on every play. Now I know one reason we did so well. The answer lies somewhere in between no doubt`.It comes down to too many factors including randomness to just say..................your best defense versus the run is Aggressive.This is not always the case.

6/19/2012 6:57 PM
For you vets out there...

I am at D1A in Hayes...My offensive line is average...at best.  My skill position players (qb, rb, wr and te) are good.  What offense would you run that uses the skills of my skill players, but helps hide my OL?
6/19/2012 7:21 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.