Depth Chart Substitution Topic

I have 7 DB's.  I usually run 4-4 and Nickel with Dime thrown in for Shotgun.  How should I set my DB's?  4 CB's and 3 Safeties?  My problem is if a substitution is made at Cornerback it won't come from a Safety.  It pulls from LB then WR, not from the Safety position according to the General Knowledge chart.    DE's and DT's pull from LB before pulling from each other also.  Is this really happening or just a mistake in the Knowledge Base?

This is from the General Knowledge base.
1 Depth Charts Q. How are players subbed in when there are no more players available in the depth chart for a certain position?
  A. When it comes time to determine which players are on the field, and there are either no active players in the depth chart or all the players are set to rest, it will start looking at players not in the depth chart or even players from other positions.

The logic for filling a spot will first try to pull a player from the respective depth chart, based on spot's position, skipping players that have reached their rest threshold. If there are no players in the depth chart that can fill that spot, it will then go through a sequence to fill it based on the spot's position. The first check it will do is try to pull player's for that position that are not in the depth chart (on the bench) and do not require rest. If it still has not found a player for the spot, it will start pulling players from the depth chart ignoring whether or not they need rest. If after all of that, it has still not found a player, it will start playing players out of position.

Following is the chart for the progression of looking for a player at each position to play out of position, broken down by each depth chart position and the progression of working through by player position. When a player is pulled by position, they are randomly pulled from your bench with no type of evaluation being made.

Position Progression
QB P - RB - WR - TE
RB WR - TE - QB
FB RB - TE - OL - WR - QB
WR1 'WR2' - RB - TE - DB - QB
WR2 'WR1' - RB - TE - DB - QB
TE RB - OL - QB - WR - LB
OL TE - DL - LB - RB - WR
DT LB - OL - DB
DE LB - OL - DB
ILB DL - TE - DB
OLB DB - TE
S LB - TE
CB LB - WR

Note: The WR1 and WR2 will each look to the other depth chart first in trying to find a player.

1/27/2013 8:46 AM
 I typically carry 7 db and often run dime vs shotgun.
       I set my 4 best db's at the first 2  cornerbacks and safeties with highest stamina guys at safety.
               Then if he is best or close to best db I will set the highest stamina db left at safety number 3.
                        With all high stamina guys at safety even though their are only 3 I never had a substitution from another position. Sometimes they get a little yellow but it doesn't last long.
    I have done a lot of winning this way.

1/27/2013 9:51 AM
Set up your best 3 DB's at CB (2) and S (1). Put your 4th best DB who is a combo CB/S in the 3rd CB spot. Place EVERY other DB in the CB slots.

You're welcome!

1/27/2013 10:03 AM (edited)
Vick, so you are only setting 1 Db at the safety position?  
1/27/2013 10:12 AM
1/27/2013 10:26 AM
Don't you lose out on the improved WE that Starts will bring for the 4th DB ?
1/27/2013 10:32 AM
Posted by mojolad on 1/27/2013 10:32:00 AM (view original):
Don't you lose out on the improved WE that Starts will bring for the 4th DB ?
Not if you're base defense is a 4-4...

Edit- On some of my teams, I will have a Safety in that 2nd safety slot. However, that's usually only if the 2nd Safety makes a bad corner. So if I have my #4-7 DB's and they are fairly equal but one guy is either a really good safety or bad corner...then I will place him at that 2nd safety slot.

1/27/2013 10:55 AM (edited)
Does the substitution really work this way?  I was under the impression that the reason S and CB will pull from LB first...is only if there are no other "DB"s available at all.  

The same scenario for RB (does not pull from FB per se....it just pulls all RBs before moving to the WRs).  Same with DLs and LBs....
1/27/2013 11:07 AM
Posted by harriswb3 on 1/27/2013 11:07:00 AM (view original):
Does the substitution really work this way?  I was under the impression that the reason S and CB will pull from LB first...is only if there are no other "DB"s available at all.  

The same scenario for RB (does not pull from FB per se....it just pulls all RBs before moving to the WRs).  Same with DLs and LBs....
Mea culpa!

At some point in time in this engine, the Safety would come from your CB depth chart and it was always in one of the 1st slots where a CB wasn't playing. As I looked closer at a few of my depth charts, the Safety comes from your CB depth chart...but where he comes from can be different...lol.

Like on my Winona squad...my last listed CB was coming in at safety. At Capital...it's my 2nd to last.

So...not sure when they changed that...but they did. I know I had studied how the subs worked originally, but tbh I haven't looked in likely a year. Glad I looked because I have been playing my worst DB many times at Safety!

So...the Safety WILL come from your CB list...where on that list is a guess at best!

1/27/2013 11:38 AM
From above:  "Glad I looked because I have been playing my worst DB many times at Safety!"

Well, crap.....my alter ego is in Camp with you and now I just helped you IMPROVE!!!  Nuts....
1/27/2013 2:13 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 1/27/2013 2:13:00 PM (view original):
From above:  "Glad I looked because I have been playing my worst DB many times at Safety!"

Well, crap.....my alter ego is in Camp with you and now I just helped you IMPROVE!!!  Nuts....
Haha...thx man! Capital helps me the least since that team is all Srs. this season...so shouldn't hurt ya any worse than that group usually does!!!
1/27/2013 2:44 PM
The highest CB who is not fatigued will come in to play S. If it is the first substitution of the game and the 3rd CB is not tired and a safety needs to be replaced, it will be the 3rd CB. (Assuming you are playing a formation with 4 DBs)

The only time another CB will come in is if the 3rd CB has already played and he has not recovered from his fatigue yet.

That is not for the Starters at Safety but for replacements on fatigue during the game.

If you fail to fill all your starters, it calculates who it thinks is the best safety from all your non starting DBs ... the equation it uses is unknown, but does not correlate to who I would normally start, so I would not recommend leaving it blank.
1/27/2013 8:21 PM
Depth Chart Substitution Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.