OT-Super Bowl thoughts Topic

I thought a very good game and I enjoyed it. I was going for the Ravens since they are an older team and I think with San Fran's youth they can get back. I think the "pass interference" (which was) call, the "offsides on the 2 pt conv" (which was) and the power outage will be debated and talked about for awhile. Anyone think these events would have swayed the outcome one way or another?

2/3/2013 11:36 PM
That was definitely not holding or PI on the last play.  We need to stop watching penalties in slow motion.  The refs cannot see that slow and cannot be faulted for the limitations of the human eye.
2/3/2013 11:45 PM
I agree. That was good defense. And it for sure wasnt a hold as the ball was out before 5 yards so then the question becomes PI or not and I dont think that was at all.
2/3/2013 11:47 PM
I was going to comment on how terrible the officiating was the last 2 minutes of the game. But then I realized there was no officiating since the referees decided to not do their damn job and call a blatant helmet to helmet hit on the goal line and then not throw a flag at an obvious holding of Michael Crabtree on 4th down. Regardless of when a penalty is committed it is still a penalty it shouldn't make a difference if it affects the game, the Ravens committed a penalty throw the damn flag. Terrible officiating might as well have had blind folds on...
2/4/2013 1:07 AM
Offsides on that 2pt play would likely have changed the outcome.  SF would at least have had a 2nd shot and likely would have put K on a rollout with him ending up running in on the corner.

Now, if you assume that SF made the 2pt conversion on the 2nd try.....then, the whole PI against Crabtree would not have happened...they would have taken the FG to tie.  

Then, it becomes a matter of how much time remains for the Ravens to move into FG range for potential win.
2/4/2013 5:57 AM
Posted by jfootball88 on 2/4/2013 1:07:00 AM (view original):
I was going to comment on how terrible the officiating was the last 2 minutes of the game. But then I realized there was no officiating since the referees decided to not do their damn job and call a blatant helmet to helmet hit on the goal line and then not throw a flag at an obvious holding of Michael Crabtree on 4th down. Regardless of when a penalty is committed it is still a penalty it shouldn't make a difference if it affects the game, the Ravens committed a penalty throw the damn flag. Terrible officiating might as well have had blind folds on...
That play had penalties on both sides ... Crabtree was engaging in contact and pushing off as well. I do not see how you can call that on one player and not the other one. The rule book says:
----------------------------------------------
A defensive player may not tackle or hold an opponent other than a runner. Otherwise, he may use his hands, arms, or body only:

(a) To defend or protect himself against an obstructing opponent.

Exception: An eligible receiver is considered to be an obstructing opponent ONLY to a point five yards beyond the line of scrimmage unless the player who receives the snap clearly demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball. Within this five-yard zone, a defensive player may chuck an eligible player in front of him. A defensive player is allowed to maintain continuous and unbroken contact within the five-yard zone until a point when the receiver is even with the defender. The defensive player cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an eligible receiver in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him.
--------------------------------------------

Clearly Crabtree was laying hands on the defender and pushing him .. in that scenario, the defender is allowed to "use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver"

That looked like what he was doing to me ... and I was pulling for the 49ers.

2/4/2013 8:58 AM
hughesjr, I viewed it exactly the opposite way.  I don't have the rulebook, so I may be out to lunch, but I viewed Crabtree as pushing off, only because the defender was hanging on him like an old shirt.  Therefore, Pass Interference or Defensive Holding.
2/4/2013 9:39 AM
San Francisco lost because of terrible play calling on the 2 point conversion and the 4 plays from the 5.
2/4/2013 10:10 AM
Posted by mr_automatic on 2/4/2013 10:10:00 AM (view original):
San Francisco lost because of terrible play calling on the 2 point conversion and the 4 plays from the 5.
And getting down 28-6.  People seem to forget this part.  If San Fran isn't down so much, then these "bad calls" do not matter at the end because they are winning....
2/4/2013 10:46 AM
it was clearly defensive PI (can't be a hold because the pass was in the air)....but even being a die hard niners fan i'm ok with the no call. The refs were letting that stuff go for the most part all game. At least they were consistent. 
2/4/2013 3:20 PM
@hughes regardless of whatever rule book you're looking at that play should've never happened because the play before that on 3rd down was BLATANT HELMET TO HELMET hit the SF WR's head nearly came off. The refs sucked plain and simple...I agree with harris that crabtree was only pushing off because the Corner was giving him a giant bear hug...
2/4/2013 4:11 PM
OT-Super Bowl thoughts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.