OT: Favorite Athletes of all time Topic

As Michael Jordan turns 50 and shines in the spotlight once again, it brings back a lot of memories.  He was one of my faves of all-time.  I'm sure many can say this.  It just got me thinking about more of my other favorites and my favorite memories of them. 

My list:

1) Greg Maddux-I remember him pitching a shutout one time in less than 2 hours.  It seemed like he did it on a regular basis.  He didn't wow you, he just got you out.

2) Michael Jordan-The move that he put on the Lakers in the finals.  Crazy ninja stuff there.

3) John Elway-That guy could escape from anything in his younger days.  He would have a guy hanging on to him and then throw it down field 30 yards.

4) Deion Sanders-I remember seeing this game where the opposing team was running it back, and he just kinda jogs up and passes everyone like they are standing still and makes the tackle.

5) Dale Earnhardt-Some may say he is not an athlete, but he was most certainly one of the fiercest competitors.

I'd love to hear some of yours!

2/19/2013 6:01 PM
Since she's in this weeks issue of Time magazine I'll go with Ronda Rousey. I bet she'd kick the hell out of Arfy.
2/19/2013 6:13 PM
Barry Sanders-I'm sure most people remember the Thanksgiving game where he made about 5 unreal cuts to avoid tackles and took it into the end zone. Best 15 yard run I've ever seen. 

Barry Larkin- I went to opening day and seen the opposing team playing him as an opposite field hitter the whole game. He had 3 hits down the leftfield line. In his first at bat of the day, I'm wondering to myself when teams decided to play him like that and thinking he'll just pull the ball. I was also at his 3 homerun game and sitting about 5 rows behind where every one of the balls landed. The guy wasn't really a power hitter so that was pretty cool. 

Corey Dillon- I remember his rookie year they had him as a kick returner in the pre season. I remember watching him return kicks and thinking, this guys going to be a real good runningback, nobody can tackle him. Starter KiJana Carter got injured early in the season and Dillon went on to a pretty good career. 

I'm sure I can think of plenty more, but those were off the top of my head.

2/19/2013 6:14 PM
Posted by ghutton9 on 2/19/2013 6:14:00 PM (view original):
Barry Sanders-I'm sure most people remember the Thanksgiving game where he made about 5 unreal cuts to avoid tackles and took it into the end zone. Best 15 yard run I've ever seen. 

Barry Larkin- I went to opening day and seen the opposing team playing him as an opposite field hitter the whole game. He had 3 hits down the leftfield line. In his first at bat of the day, I'm wondering to myself when teams decided to play him like that and thinking he'll just pull the ball. I was also at his 3 homerun game and sitting about 5 rows behind where every one of the balls landed. The guy wasn't really a power hitter so that was pretty cool. 

Corey Dillon- I remember his rookie year they had him as a kick returner in the pre season. I remember watching him return kicks and thinking, this guys going to be a real good runningback, nobody can tackle him. Starter KiJana Carter got injured early in the season and Dillon went on to a pretty good career. 

I'm sure I can think of plenty more, but those were off the top of my head.

Who can forget Barry Sanders and his crazy antics?

What about the Ickey Shuffle?  lol

2/19/2013 6:17 PM
On a more serious note I'll go with these.

Jordan. No doubt, no brainer

Walter Payton RB Chicago Bears. No one worked harder than Sweetness

Kirby Puckett CF Minnesota Twins I can still remember him carrying the Twins to our 91 WS Chamnpoinship. It was so sad to see Kirby get that plunking in the eye in a spring traing game and cut his awesome career short. This guy also stole more HR than anyone I can remember. It was so sad to see Kirby die at such a young age.

Wayne Gretzky C Edmonton Oilers The Great One was Hockey in the 80's.

Honorable Mention/ Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig All Niners and All Dynasty

2/19/2013 6:22 PM (edited)
Posted by jibe on 2/19/2013 6:17:00 PM (view original):

Kirby Puckett CF Minnesota Twins I can still remember him carrying the Twins to our 91 WS Chamnpoinship

Honorable Mention/ Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig All Niners and All Dynasty

What about Dan Gladden and Gene Larkin?  The bastards! 
2/19/2013 6:21 PM
Or Jack Morris
2/19/2013 6:21 PM
CLEON JONES
TOM SEAVER
FREEMAN MCNEIL
GREG BUTTLE
BRIAN LEETCH
ADAM GRAVES
CLYDE FRAZIER
BILL BRADLEY
2/19/2013 6:24 PM
Posted by Arfy on 2/19/2013 6:21:00 PM (view original):

Kirby Puckett CF Minnesota Twins I can still remember him carrying the Twins to our 91 WS Chamnpoinship

And Kent Hrbek. How many other 1B could get down the foul line as fast as he could to catch a foul and be carrying a full size keg in his gut?
2/19/2013 6:24 PM
Lest I forget. I said Jordan and stick by it. But I can't forget Dr J Julius Erving and Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

I couldn't stand Isaiah Thomas though. Whine whine whine.

2/19/2013 6:27 PM
Posted by Arfy on 2/19/2013 6:21:00 PM (view original):

Oh that's right. You're a Braves fan. LOL
2/19/2013 6:31 PM
Cal Ripken Jr.
2/19/2013 6:53 PM
Baseball: Ripken and Puckett. I have more recently grown fond of Lou Gerhig

Football: Reggie White

Basketball: Dennis Rodman
2/19/2013 7:03 PM
My baseball honorable mention: George Brett, Eddie Murray, Nolan Ryan, Ozzie Smith and Ken Griffey JR. Ripken too and Carl Yastremski
2/19/2013 7:03 PM
Or, for me, while everyone else loved Jordan, I was a huge Clyde 'the glide' Drexler fan. 

I can't believe I forgot my favorite shortstop of the 90's Cal Ripken. 

Yes, Arfy, the Ickey Shuffle. Funny thing about him was that 5 years later he was delivering meats around the neighborhood I lived in. His career fell apart quick. I blame my younger brother. It seems like every player he's ever met, their career falls apart shortly after. We met Ickey Woods at a ball card show a couple months after the Superbowl. Look it up, he never had a good season again.

2/19/2013 7:24 PM
1234 Next ▸
OT: Favorite Athletes of all time Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.