Please do NOT update the engine Topic

Im all for keeping version 2 as a basic game and version 3 as advanced,but what do we do with current teams,do they automatically become advanced or do we keep them the same and open new worlds for advanced

2/27/2013 7:15 PM
I'm assuming by the lack of response in this thread compared to the buzz in the beta threads you guys are probably outnumbered.

The new 3.0 isn't perfect but it is a work in progress.

The current engine is broke in so many ways.

My last NC I took over a d3 school and in my 4th season I won the NC without setting a depth chart or a gameplan. Talent obviously mattered, which is a good thing,, but is that acceptable?

It wasn't very fun for me.

2/27/2013 7:33 PM
My original post was intended to be "tongue-in-cheek", but as it turns out, I might have said what I really mean.  3.0 is certainly complex and I don't have time for complex.  I'll definitely drop to one team....maybe drop it altogether.
2/27/2013 8:28 PM
Posted by jaxbaker on 2/27/2013 7:15:00 PM (view original):

Im all for keeping version 2 as a basic game and version 3 as advanced,but what do we do with current teams,do they automatically become advanced or do we keep them the same and open new worlds for advanced

Well the teams in V 2 that we have now wouldnt change.  The teams in V 3 would be upto those that want to play that game.  It might have been not as confusing to everybody if the testing was done with our current teams.
2/27/2013 8:36 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 2/27/2013 8:28:00 PM (view original):
My original post was intended to be "tongue-in-cheek", but as it turns out, I might have said what I really mean.  3.0 is certainly complex and I don't have time for complex.  I'll definitely drop to one team....maybe drop it altogether.
I agree but there are things that can be done to limit the complexity. Seems to me they should be able to make all the settings simpler and less time consuming. Most importantly there needs to be a "basic" option that matches what it is available today so a coach doesn't have to change if the don't want to.
2/27/2013 9:42 PM
I am tired of the present version.  There is only so much you can do with it and I am in favor of a more complex engine.  The new engine allows those that want to keep it simple to do that.  The rest of us can battle it out with the new "multiple formations and personal groups".
2/27/2013 10:24 PM

Im all for version 3 too,I just dont want a game that takes hrs to game plan and make adjustments,football whether collage or pro is one play at a time and adjustments are made each play at the line of scrimmage and Im all for a game that reflects that,but I dont want a sim game where you face a team that never blitzes and then decides to blitz 100 percent of the time and you give up 10 sacks in a half and you have to make 30 adjustments at halftime to compensate or a team that decides to air it out every down and you give up 5 long bombs,I know that might have happened in version 2 here and there but we have far more control now with what we do,and as long as it doesnt make gameplanning the whole point to victory then im fine with that.but if gameplanning is the whole point of the game then that is not going to be good because we only get one chance to change your gameplan at halftime not after each play,I agree if you play the dime against wishbone you should get torched but if you play a style opposite to the offence or defence you should not be torched every play and aslong as that does not happen and talent is a huge factor in winning and losing than thats the best we can hope for. 

2/27/2013 11:03 PM

Ver 3.0 is definitely an upgrade, but it takes way to much time to set up a gameplan.  It took me over 2 hours to setup 1 offensive and 1 defensive gameplan.  IMO, It will be tough to keep more than one team with the amount of time involved.

2/27/2013 11:46 PM
Posted by jhard70 on 2/27/2013 11:46:00 PM (view original):

Ver 3.0 is definitely an upgrade, but it takes way to much time to set up a gameplan.  It took me over 2 hours to setup 1 offensive and 1 defensive gameplan.  IMO, It will be tough to keep more than one team with the amount of time involved.

Much agreed.  And I don't have the patience to do that anymore!
2/27/2013 11:57 PM
Posted by airraiddevil on 2/27/2013 12:06:00 PM (view original):
I think simple and with "logical" outcomes is what everyone wants. The more complexed you try and make this the more craziness is likely to happen.

I really do not mind the current engine --- I think it's pretty consistant with the occasional head scratcher.
+1
2/28/2013 12:12 AM
Posted by tiggerta on 2/27/2013 10:24:00 PM (view original):
I am tired of the present version.  There is only so much you can do with it and I am in favor of a more complex engine.  The new engine allows those that want to keep it simple to do that.  The rest of us can battle it out with the new "multiple formations and personal groups".

Can someone tell me that the coach that opts for the basic game really ever has a chance to win when playing the coach that opts to play the advanced version?  I never saw V 1 so I cant say on that one.

2/28/2013 12:27 AM
When I started 1.0 I thought it took a long time to get a game plan together. The new version is a work in progress and we haven't even played a beta season game yet. Throughout all last year, the thread regarding how to fix the game ran to 30+ pages. The response for this new game is a partial layout of what people wanted. When we went from 1.0 to 2.0 there were continuous posts of how terrible the new engine was. Now everyone doesn't want to leave that engine. I agree that people will have to spend some extra time putting this new game into their teams, but once it is set up it should run just as easy as 2.0. I'm willing to give the new game a shot. At least I can have input now for free and not over a year paying to play. And this game is not nearly as complex as HBD.
2/28/2013 1:14 AM (edited)
Posted by katzphang88 on 2/28/2013 1:14:00 AM (view original):
When I started 1.0 I thought it took a long time to get a game plan together. The new version is a work in progress and we haven't even played a beta season game yet. Throughout all last year, the thread regarding how to fix the game ran to 30+ pages. The response for this new game is a partial layout of what people wanted. When we went from 1.0 to 2.0 there were continuous posts of how terrible the new engine was. Now everyone doesn't want to leave that engine. I agree that people will have to spend some extra time putting this new game into their teams, but once it is set up it should run just as easy as 2.0. I'm willing to give the new game a shot. At least I can have input now for free and not over a year paying to play. And this game is not nearly as complex as HBD.
Understandable, however is everyone going to be on a level playing field when some play basic and some play adv?
2/28/2013 1:25 AM
It shouldn't be a level playing field if some are willing to do the extra work and others are not.  I think that is ultimately the point of the new development.  V1 was flawed but the thing guys like the most was that when they made changes to their gameplans, they could see those changes in the game results.  V2 took that away and made a level playing field by dumbing things down.  Putting in the extra work of gameplanning does not currently offer much, if any, reward for the effort.  Polabonez gave the example where he won a NC without ever setting a V2 gameplan.  There are many more examples.  V3 brings (or at least promises to bring) the ability to actually make a difference with your extra effort.  That is the very thing that V1 fans wanted brought back.

If you play basic, you should have a level playing field with others who play basic and, if you are smart about it, you should be able to dominate Sims.  If you play advanced, you will have to put in the extra time, but you should have an advantage on the basics.  I think that is only fair.

2/28/2013 6:38 AM
Yes your extra work should show up in the results but not because there are different levels to the game.  how much of an outrage are we going to hear the first time a SIM (basic) defeats a human (adv).  Work in progress this may be, but when we've had v 3 for a year some coaches are going to be screaming "the engine is broken".
2/28/2013 8:10 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Please do NOT update the engine Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.