Underclassmen leaving early no longer in news? Topic

I noticed this the last time Camp ended and now in Dobie.

In the past, as soon as the season ended we got a list of underclassmen going pro early listed in the news.  I don't see this anymore.  I kind of miss the "no more waiting, so and so declares for the NFL."

Was fun to see what schools had kids leaving early.

Maybe I'm just missing it.

2/20/2013 9:34 PM
Nope, norbert removed this feature about 5-6 seasons ago.
2/20/2013 9:54 PM
all right.  tells you how much I've paid attention then.

Didn't really mean anything, just kind of neat to read.
2/20/2013 9:58 PM
As a DIA coach I am happy they don't leave anymore, its kinda nice. It also seemed illogical how some players were taken but it would be more "realistic" to bring back early entries in the future
2/20/2013 11:52 PM
Posted by ampipe100 on 2/20/2013 9:34:00 PM (view original):

In the past, as soon as the season ended we got a list of underclassmen going pro early listed in the news.  I don't see this anymore.  I kind of miss the "no more waiting, so and so declares for the NFL."

We turned off the ability for players to declare early for the NFL draft until we can review it further as there was too many players leaving that should not have been.
2/21/2013 12:41 AM
Posted by redhawk_514 on 2/21/2013 12:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ampipe100 on 2/20/2013 9:34:00 PM (view original):

We turned off the ability for players to declare early for the NFL draft until we can review it further as there was too many players leaving that should not have been.
It might be a good idea just to leave it off for good.
2/21/2013 2:54 AM
+1 It might be a good idea just to leave it off for good.
2/21/2013 11:50 AM
Posted by husker68144 on 2/21/2013 11:50:00 AM (view original):
+1 It might be a good idea just to leave it off for good.
Strongly disagree. If it's logical, it adds an element of strategy. Do you redshirt a stud FR if he may bounce after year three? Do you sign a slightly lesser recruit with high potential who will be on your team for five years or a five star that plays three? This feature adversely impacts elites more which is good.

Nobody likes it when it happens to them but it should be part of the game. Same thing with injuries. It always puzzled me that was removed from 2.0. If the goal is to have less static outcomes, injuries would be step in that direction. Penn State may be loaded on paper but they might get beat by a MAC opponent if its star SR QB goes down in the first quarter with broken leg and the only replacement is a true FR.

And while I'm on my soapbox, weather could be another way to logically randomize.

2/21/2013 12:35 PM
Makes things easier recruiting and redshirting wise. I have 3 teams / all elites. When it was part of the game it forced me to have more QB's and RB's on my roster than I wanted to. So yes, it hurts Elites most, but also forces them to gobble up more QB's and RB's in protection of an early departure.
2/21/2013 2:08 PM
Posted by airraiddevil on 2/21/2013 2:08:00 PM (view original):
Makes things easier recruiting and redshirting wise. I have 3 teams / all elites. When it was part of the game it forced me to have more QB's and RB's on my roster than I wanted to. So yes, it hurts Elites most, but also forces them to gobble up more QB's and RB's in protection of an early departure.

Simple tweaks.  Increase the weight of promised playing time/FR starts and add/increase players quitting or leaving early because of no playing time.  GD has enough ridiculous features (Marquette football, Notre Dame Box, screwy conferences).  Having no players declare early for the draft and no significant injuries is something that can be fixed and incorporated into the game.  Having both in play would add to the strategy.  

Actually, the more I write this, how friggin stupid is a football simulation where you don't see players suffer injuries that causes them to miss games or the whole season?  And why in the hell would they shut off that function? At least in GD 1, you could have up to---I think---three guys out at once.

To sum up, in GD, somone can recruit the #1  QB in the nation to DePaul, redshirt him, run up ridiculous passing stats, and he'll stay on campus for five years as an unpaid student athlete passing up the riches of the NFL and he'll NEVER miss a collegiate game because of injury or misconduct.

I know the stated focus is the engine but, c'mon, fix some of this s#it.  Doesn't seem that difficult.

2/21/2013 2:47 PM (edited)
honestly, the further we get from gd 1, the more i miss it. 

2/21/2013 4:38 PM (edited)
Posted by ampipe100 on 2/21/2013 4:38:00 PM (view original):

I also liked the featured where there were disciplinary issues with players.  Late to practice, etc. with options for discipline.  My recollection is that became, pretty much, a way to kick off sim recruits when you took over a team.  But programmed the right way (linking player characterisitics as shown in the scouting reports to the potential for player misconduct), this would be great aspect to the game and add another layer of strategy.  I think this is how it was intended to work and it could've been tweaked and refined to get there.   
2/21/2013 4:43 PM
Posted by potter444 on 2/21/2013 4:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ampipe100 on 2/21/2013 4:38:00 PM (view original):

I also liked the featured where there were disciplinary issues with players.  Late to practice, etc. with options for discipline.  My recollection is that became, pretty much, a way to kick off sim recruits when you took over a team.  But programmed the right way (linking player characterisitics as shown in the scouting reports to the potential for player misconduct), this would be great aspect to the game and add another layer of strategy.  I think this is how it was intended to work and it could've been tweaked and refined to get there.   
2/21/2013 5:25 PM
Underclassmen leaving early no longer in news? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.