Geographically challenged and knocking off SIMs Topic

Hello:

I moved from coaching a team in the Northeast to coaching a team in the Southwest.  While I look forward to the changes/challenges in recruiting strategy, I have one concern..

Back in the Northeast, If there was a guy I really wanted who had 3 SIMs on him, I could throw 3 or 4 CVs at him and knock them off.  But that was when those guys were 200 miles away, not 500.  Given that there aren't a lot of humans I'm competing with, I'm expecting to see a lot of SIMs on guys I want, and it just got a lot more expensive to knock them off.

Any strategies are welcome, but if you want to reply and say, "yep, you're screwed, dude" that's ok too..

JC
2/23/2013 4:23 PM
All Right! You moved from that Menlo-busting Curry team! Good luck in the Rockies! I had Ft. Lewis at one time in another world. One thing to remember is you have more  money to recruit with. You may see SIM players on some players, but will be able to get some undecideds to turn for only $2K or less. Very few teams are going to fight for undecideds with you since you are closer. I even was able to search Hawaii and sign good undecided players there. Knocking SIMs off will cost you like 10K so budget accordingly. Remember, Arizona is wide open and you will be the closest to them. So jc sorry to see you leave Curry (snark) - Good luck in the SW!
2/23/2013 5:45 PM
West New Mex is awesome location for D2 recruiting -- for recruits in AZ, So Cali, and NV your only comp is Humboldt State, and while they are closer to HI than you, whoever gets there first gets the recruit. You can also reach into West and SW Texas and compete reasonably well against TX D2 teams.

In D2, West New Mex is tops (next to Humboldt State) for built-in recruiting advantage.
2/23/2013 7:50 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 2/23/2013 5:45:00 PM (view original):
All Right! You moved from that Menlo-busting Curry team! Good luck in the Rockies! I had Ft. Lewis at one time in another world. One thing to remember is you have more  money to recruit with. You may see SIM players on some players, but will be able to get some undecideds to turn for only $2K or less. Very few teams are going to fight for undecideds with you since you are closer. I even was able to search Hawaii and sign good undecided players there. Knocking SIMs off will cost you like 10K so budget accordingly. Remember, Arizona is wide open and you will be the closest to them. So jc sorry to see you leave Curry (snark) - Good luck in the SW!
Mr. Katz:

I have no idea why Curry had some success against the more talented Menlo teams. Those were fun battles!

Looking forward to the wild Wild West!

2/23/2013 10:58 PM
Posted by headpirate on 2/23/2013 7:50:00 PM (view original):
West New Mex is awesome location for D2 recruiting -- for recruits in AZ, So Cali, and NV your only comp is Humboldt State, and while they are closer to HI than you, whoever gets there first gets the recruit. You can also reach into West and SW Texas and compete reasonably well against TX D2 teams.

In D2, West New Mex is tops (next to Humboldt State) for built-in recruiting advantage.
Sorry, you have more competition for recruits in AZ, So. Cal, and NV other than Humboldt. You have basically ZERO edge on any recruit over 360 miles away from your campus compared to anyone who is also between 360-1399 miles. Say you wanna recruit a guy in So. Cal...he is over 600 miles from your school. Say you want to get an AC scout and a CV to turn him green.

Cost- Roughly $1750-$1800

Now...say a coach who is almost 1400 miles (but not OVER 1400) away also wants to put in that same effort of an AC and a CV.

Cost- Roughly $2100

I can promise you that $300 is going to scare ZERO decent head coaches away from that recruit. Now...you have a slight advantage if it turns into a full scale battle...but a battle that isn't much different than battle that occurs between coaches U180 and U360 of a recruit.

Also...Hawaii is pretty much the same for anyone. Being on West Coast is zero edge.

To the OP...knocking off SIMS is basically the same wherever you go. It will cost "x" number of CV's. So if you recruit was in your U180...he probably cost $800 per CV. Over 360...roughly $1250-$1450 per CV. Over 1400 miles and they start getting north of 2k per.
2/24/2013 9:30 AM
Posted by vick12 on 2/24/2013 9:30:00 AM (view original):
Posted by headpirate on 2/23/2013 7:50:00 PM (view original):

Sorry, you have more competition for recruits in AZ, So. Cal, and NV other than Humboldt. You have basically ZERO edge on any recruit over 360 miles away from your campus compared to anyone who is also between 360-1399 miles. Say you wanna recruit a guy in So. Cal...he is over 600 miles from your school. Say you want to get an AC scout and a CV to turn him green.

Cost- Roughly $1750-$1800

Now...say a coach who is almost 1400 miles (but not OVER 1400) away also wants to put in that same effort of an AC and a CV.

Cost- Roughly $2100

I can promise you that $300 is going to scare ZERO decent head coaches away from that recruit. Now...you have a slight advantage if it turns into a full scale battle...but a battle that isn't much different than battle that occurs between coaches U180 and U360 of a recruit.

Also...Hawaii is pretty much the same for anyone. Being on West Coast is zero edge.

To the OP...knocking off SIMS is basically the same wherever you go. It will cost "x" number of CV's. So if you recruit was in your U180...he probably cost $800 per CV. Over 360...roughly $1250-$1450 per CV. Over 1400 miles and they start getting north of 2k per.
^ This is what I meant with my original post and is what I was afraid of.... I'm looking forward to the challenge!
2/24/2013 12:12 PM
Adams State in Colorado (Revenge of the Nerds fame) - is a great D2 team to recruit
2/26/2013 8:36 PM

I battled for a QB 1,912 miles away. Here is the player and the recruiting history.It took $9,500 bucks, but we did it en route to a top 25 class.

www.whatifsports.com/GD/RecruitProfile/Ratings.aspx

2/25/13 Accepted - Scholarship Offer $100 1 $100 
2/25/13 Home Visit - Head Coach $1,743 1 $1,743
2/24/13 Home Visit - Head Coach $1,743 2 $3,486
2/24/13 Home Visit - Head Coach $0 2 $0
2/24/13 Scouting Trip - Assistant Coach $700 1 $700
1/31/13 Watch $0 1 $0
2/27/2013 4:34 PM (edited)
Geographically challenged and knocking off SIMs Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.