GUESS 3.0 Formulas - First Look Topic

With the caveat that they may change -- here's what I expect to be using for GUESS formulas.

Offense

Defense
10/17/2013 6:51 PM

OK, I've seen people complaining about their eyeballs exploding at some of the ratings, so I guess I better fill in some gaps here. First, let me re-iterate that the ratings are based on MY understanding of how stats are used, based on some conversation with oriole_fan.  He has NEVER given me any "formulas" or game code, so I don't have an "inside track" on the engine. (If I had, my Texas team wouldn't have been 8-5 in beta.)  The weights given to any stat are strictly mine.

SPEED - This is one of the stats I've had a hard time getting a handle on how much weight to put it, across all positions.  I believe it to be a major factor in deep passes, a minor factor in medium passes, and "a" factor in running the ball, although I'm not certain how much.  It was more problematic on defense.  As far as DE go, I  don't believe it's a factor at all, unless there is something in calculating whether a runner gets "around the corner" on outside runs.  It's not used in determining pressure on the QB, as far as I can tell.  I'm trying to confirm this with oriole. For LB in general, because the game uses just "inside" and "outside" (instead of "left, middle, right") for sides of field, the major place speed in real life would be used is somewhat negated.  The DB complaint is ridiculous, since SPD is actually a higher factor in these ratings than my old ratings, and higher than the WIS default ratings used in the 3.0 beta.

TECH - other than QB, TECH gets reduced pretty much across the board in the new ratings.  I was told that Tech is used as an overall modifier (like ATH was in the 1.0 engine) instead of a "check this attribute for success" kind of thing.  I'm pretty sure that a change norbert made when he first started doing the new engine WAY back when.  It's a pretty dramatic change.

I saw a question about Game Instinct for FB, and I agree, I need to make a change there.  I'm thinking STR (-4), BLK (-2), ELU (-2), GI (+8).

Hands on LB was an oversight on my part.  We'll subtract 1 from ATH, STR, TKL, and 2 from GI, and give HND +5

Hands on QB has never been a consideration.  I don't think it's a factor in fumbles, and there's no other place it would be used for a QB.

I think that about covers it for now.  Please ask questions if something doesn't look right.  

10/19/2013 9:03 AM (edited)
Just a observation but shouldn't speed for a DE be rated in a way, even if it is minimal or does that mess up the ratings?
10/17/2013 7:03 PM
Where did you get the breakdown for these new formulas- from oriole?
10/17/2013 7:46 PM
Speed does not go into the calculations for DL in any way, unless something was changed without our knowledge. Same with OL. 
10/17/2013 7:47 PM
Posted by golfpro71 on 10/17/2013 7:46:00 PM (view original):
Where did you get the breakdown for these new formulas- from oriole?
Not directly, but I did have some help from him in getting questions answered about which attributes are used in different situations.  The actual breakdowns are my best guess (pun only partially intended) based on those responses.
10/17/2013 9:13 PM
really stupid question, so forgive me, but the icons in your post are really small - how do I view them in normal print size
10/17/2013 10:25 PM
Posted by chetty1963 on 10/17/2013 10:25:00 PM (view original):
really stupid question, so forgive me, but the icons in your post are really small - how do I view them in normal print size
Right click on the image, and select "view image"
10/17/2013 10:39 PM
I like the formulas Bob

10/17/2013 10:39 PM
Posted by nwwf on 10/17/2013 10:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by chetty1963 on 10/17/2013 10:25:00 PM (view original):
Right click on the image, and select "view image"
I don't have that option as a drop down
10/17/2013 11:16 PM
It's very sad that after all this time we haven't been able to have a breakdown of different skills for different roles. DL needs no speed and and no elus? REALLY!?!?! No defender needs to elude a blocker???? So much for a real upgrade in the thinking of how this game is oriented.
10/17/2013 11:23 PM

Are these formula's official. If so, I will plug them in to yatzr's recruiting tool LOL.

10/18/2013 12:09 AM
Looks good Bob
10/18/2013 1:11 AM
Posted by noah23 on 10/17/2013 7:47:00 PM (view original):
Speed does not go into the calculations for DL in any way, unless something was changed without our knowledge. Same with OL. 
That's surprising to me.. I expected a bigger difference between DE and DT ratings.

Otherwise it makes sense to me, Bob.
10/18/2013 1:19 AM (edited)
I've asked directly about speed for DL, and STR for DB's (which is one of the areas where there is a major difference in my ratings and the ones used in the 3.0 beta) and am awaiting a response.
10/18/2013 2:28 AM
1234 Next ▸
GUESS 3.0 Formulas - First Look Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.