Change was made just in time for Championship Quarterfinals, giving my opponent a 15-20 point IQ advantage on O and D.  I drew 10 penalties and 2 turnovers, my opponent had 3 penalties and zero turnovers.  I didn't even make a game of  it.  Thanks for letting me vent. 
10/17/2013 8:33 PM
It doesn't look like a gigantic gap to me. Looks like he spends more time on specific formations and that it about evens out among your starting units.

10/17/2013 8:55 PM
What would look like a gigantic gap to you?  According to Yatzr game analyzer, my Pro Formation IQ is 50, his Nickel D is 65.  His I Formation is 70, my 4/3 is 51.  I think the gap before v3.0 changes would have been maybe 5 point differential and would not have as much impact.  But hell, it might just have been my unlucky day with the random number generator.  Anyhow, I'm over it.  Thanks for listening. 
10/17/2013 9:33 PM
The update shouldn't have been applied yet. Won't be until your next season as far as I know. Perhaps someone else could confirm this.
10/17/2013 9:48 PM
If I recall correctly, the developer of the 2.0 engine said that a 100 formation IQ would result in approximately +5%, and a 0 IQ would result in -5%.  If that is true, and I am remembering it right, that would that I-Formation vs 4/3 gap would make a 1.9% difference in the results.  Hardly a huge advantage.
10/17/2013 9:48 PM

Bob, are you referring to turnovers and penalties?  I'm so ignorant that I thought formation IQ disadvantages contributed to fumbles and turnovers and that the 1.9% you reference pertained to performance.  Guess it was just an unlucky day with the random number generator that resulted in 10 to 3  penalties and 2-0  turnover disadvantage.  Nevertheless I would have preferred to have the formation IQ's left alone until I went to the new engine. 

10/17/2013 10:50 PM
they probably had to change formation IQ's for recruiting?????
10/17/2013 10:55 PM
Posted by moreron on 10/17/2013 10:50:00 PM (view original):

Bob, are you referring to turnovers and penalties?  I'm so ignorant that I thought formation IQ disadvantages contributed to fumbles and turnovers and that the 1.9% you reference pertained to performance.  Guess it was just an unlucky day with the random number generator that resulted in 10 to 3  penalties and 2-0  turnover disadvantage.  Nevertheless I would have preferred to have the formation IQ's left alone until I went to the new engine. 

It's been a while, and I'm too lazy to search for it, but in the 2.0 engine, I *believe" formation IQ is used more as an "overall modifier" like somehow you could become faster or slower by utilizing a formation that you know real well.  

Formation IQ in the 3.0 engine is used mostly for turnovers and penalties, according to the Dev Chat.

10/18/2013 2:34 AM
Formation IQ was DEFINITELY changed recently, I assume due to the 3.0 change over.  I just noticed that my 2.0 team and opponent had crazy FIQ numbers...but since I don't really keep track of it regularly, I did not think about it till I saw this post.

It appears that all the numbers basically doubled vs their original values.  I did not do the math, but that looks about what it was.
10/18/2013 11:37 PM
They tweaked it to make the recruits and current players relatively even since they're generating recruits with higher base starting IQ ratings and didn't want the current ones to end up behind.
They talked about this on the 17th.

However, the gap in IQ ratings isn't so large that it should account for a difference in performance like the original poster is suggesting. 
The penalties his team incurred were mostly mostly little to do with IQ. You had about 3 offensive pass interference calls, another 3 offensive holding calls and then defensive PI, holding, roughing and the other one I forgot.

10/19/2013 12:50 AM (edited)
Got it mrfortune.  Is there another explanation for the penalty and turnover disparity?  Or is it just random??  
10/19/2013 12:07 PM
I saw Form IQ values over 100.
10/19/2013 1:50 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.