Any one running the 5-2 as your base defense. Topic

Im in the beginning of my 3rd season.  The previous two I had ran the 5-2 defense and nickel as my primary defenses.  The reason for this was the roster I inherited had 6 good young DL's.  I had played pretty good defense both seasons.  Some of the games against sim teams the stats were nasty but human opponents was hit or miss.  Some success also some bad games.  That leads me to this season and the new engine .  I had good success in the exhibition games.  But when I got to Shenandoah they gouged my 5-2 bad.  It seemed like they got into my secondary with ease and then they were gone with several 50+ runs.  They were in the wishbone.  Heres my question.  I feel like I should ditch the 5-2 in favor of the 4-3(4-3 is what I like and would have started with if not for my dl's heavy roster I started out with.  But what about all the formation practice ive got built up with the 5-2.  What you guys think stick with it.  Anybody using it as their primary defense.  Anyway to make it better at preventing the RB getting into your second level of defense so easily?
Thanks for the help guys

11/17/2013 7:14 PM
You should have went with it just give all the guys a lot of reps it would have worked out.  With the New engine you could go 5-2 but you coverage would have to be medium to long with a lot of blitzing or you will get burned. 
11/17/2013 7:36 PM
I don't think the 5-2 should be your base defense, but you don't have to abandon it completely. It could be the defense you run against the teams that are run heavy out of the NDB or Wishbone, and you could use it situationally in other settings. However, I'd start transitioning to the 3-4 or 4-3, whichever you prefer. 

I usually recommend 65 minutes of Formation practice, and that accounts for 3 O formations, 3 D, and ST. I have a few extra minutes thrown in as well, but you get the drift. I'd continue practicing the 5-2 and Nickel, and throw in another base defense.

11/17/2013 7:46 PM
Posted by caesari on 11/17/2013 7:46:00 PM (view original):
I don't think the 5-2 should be your base defense, but you don't have to abandon it completely. It could be the defense you run against the teams that are run heavy out of the NDB or Wishbone, and you could use it situationally in other settings. However, I'd start transitioning to the 3-4 or 4-3, whichever you prefer. 

I usually recommend 65 minutes of Formation practice, and that accounts for 3 O formations, 3 D, and ST. I have a few extra minutes thrown in as well, but you get the drift. I'd continue practicing the 5-2 and Nickel, and throw in another base defense.

That's the part that confused me it seemed that I was doing the worst against the wishbone.  It seemed like they were getting though my Dline easy then it was an easy TD.  I don't know where my two LBs were.  It stopped the run for the most part just gave up too many long runs for TDs.
11/17/2013 9:16 PM
There could be a couple different factors at play. Could you link the boxscore?
11/18/2013 12:40 AM
The wishbone was probably working to perfection in that case.  My experience has been that the bone gets a lot of short runs, but then will break the 55 yarder.  That was under 2.0.  I have not really had a chance to experiment with under 3.0.  

I would not let one single game dictate my philosophy.  However, I am not a fan of the 5-2.  Reasoning, it is too difficult to get 5 really good DL on the field at one time.  Far easier to put and keep talent on the field with a 4-3 or 3-4.

Think LONG TERM.  You are the coach.  I understand your reasoning for using the 5-2 early, but if you want to be a 4-3 team...then make the transition.
11/18/2013 10:00 AM
I agree with harriswb3. Think long term. The sooner you transition to what you want it to be the more practice the team gets under your preferred D.
11/18/2013 10:06 AM
52 is best suited for ndbox short rush.  44 is better for bone.  Matchups play a roll.
11/18/2013 10:21 AM
Any one running the 5-2 as your base defense. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.