O R I O L E. I need clarification. Topic

1/7/2014 8:57 PM
1/9/2014 1:34 PM
..  :(
1/10/2014 10:23 AM
Yes, it would be nice to be able to create a depth chart with an OL set as the FB, or a RB lined up out wide.

There are FAR bigger issues that they should be working on first.
1/10/2014 10:47 AM (edited)
very well. i still would appreciate an answer.
1/10/2014 3:55 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 1/10/2014 10:47:00 AM (view original):
Yes, it would be nice to be able to create a depth chart with an OL set as the FB, or a RB lined up out wide.

+1

I doubt any of the developers have time to respond to every request by every coach that would like something new added to the game.
1/10/2014 4:23 PM
I have my doubts that the game is even being worked on right now.
1/10/2014 8:45 PM
Posted by bhouska on 1/10/2014 4:23:00 PM (view original):

+1

I doubt any of the developers have time to respond to every request by every coach that would like something new added to the game.
And it seems like half the "requests" that people whine about are asking the devs to tell them how to win or to make it easier for them to win. If people spent half the time trying to figure out the game that they spend complaining about the game, they'd probably win more lol. 
1/10/2014 8:52 PM
Posted by johnnyf on 1/10/2014 8:53:00 PM (view original):

+1

And it seems like half the "requests" that people whine about are asking the devs to tell them how to win or to make it easier for them to win. If people spent half the time trying to figure out the game that they spend complaining about the game, they'd probably win more lol. 
I am close to my SECOND YEAR in helping the WIS developers fix this game! And this means just 3.0! I don't care if they make it easier to win or impossible to win, I want a game that represents accurately the effort I put in to recruit players, plan a depth chart and make formations and game plan. When I do this a lose to a SIM team 50-60-or in jfootball's case 90 points less than me it frustrates me. I make requests to make this game better! We don't even have injuries yet in this game! So johnny - put the work in in helping develop this game by pointing out flaws for two years then come on the forums and have a clue on what you are saying!
1/11/2014 12:35 AM
Posted by katzphang88 on 1/11/2014 12:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by johnnyf on 1/10/2014 8:53:00 PM (view original):

+1

I am close to my SECOND YEAR in helping the WIS developers fix this game! And this means just 3.0! I don't care if they make it easier to win or impossible to win, I want a game that represents accurately the effort I put in to recruit players, plan a depth chart and make formations and game plan. When I do this a lose to a SIM team 50-60-or in jfootball's case 90 points less than me it frustrates me. I make requests to make this game better! We don't even have injuries yet in this game! So johnny - put the work in in helping develop this game by pointing out flaws for two years then come on the forums and have a clue on what you are saying!
This is exactly the attitude of what I speak. Its not the Dev's job to help you win games. Its not the dev's job to explain to you why you lose a game badly to a sim. Its the Dev's job to build the game. Just because you or anyone loses a game that you think you should have won doesn't mean that there's a flaw or something that needs to be addressed by the Devs. What needs to be addressed first by the devs are glitches and mistakes. You losing, even by a comical amount, isn't one of those. Do they need to explain the engine better? Sure. And I'd like to see a bunch of new features to make this more interesting. But they don't owe you or anyone a clear roadmap on how to win in 3.0. Or an explanation of why you lost to a Sim. 
1/11/2014 8:58 AM
I also want to know why I beat a SIM. I want to know this so that when I play humans I can have some info on how to play the game. If this game isn't reliable to reward coaches who assemble teams much superior to the other teams then again we are back to a coin flip. YES - it may may not be the developers jop to TELL us how to win games - we can figure that out as a community on our own - but when a coach can throw 600 times to one receiver in a season, or have a QB run for 1000's of yards, or have a team with a 90 point diference lose to a SIM - even when they aren't telling us how to win - (they really aren't telling us anything) then why not just have one line of PBP that says - A wins over B - game over.  If the mathematical interactions between positions and players in the SIM aren't relevant then the rest of the PBP is just fluff.

Oh and I just won my 6th NC - Winning isn't the only thing - but having a game that is worthy of my time, that takes into account accurate simulations of the effort we take to set up our team is.
1/11/2014 12:39 PM
Posted by katzphang88 on 1/11/2014 12:39:00 PM (view original):
I also want to know why I beat a SIM. I want to know this so that when I play humans I can have some info on how to play the game. If this game isn't reliable to reward coaches who assemble teams much superior to the other teams then again we are back to a coin flip. YES - it may may not be the developers jop to TELL us how to win games - we can figure that out as a community on our own - but when a coach can throw 600 times to one receiver in a season, or have a QB run for 1000's of yards, or have a team with a 90 point diference lose to a SIM - even when they aren't telling us how to win - (they really aren't telling us anything) then why not just have one line of PBP that says - A wins over B - game over.  If the mathematical interactions between positions and players in the SIM aren't relevant then the rest of the PBP is just fluff.

Oh and I just won my 6th NC - Winning isn't the only thing - but having a game that is worthy of my time, that takes into account accurate simulations of the effort we take to set up our team is.
While I think that we should get more detailed matchup information(especially post match), the reason why anyone won or loss is in the data we have available. It just may not be super obvious. And situations like the WR with 600 catches or a QB with thousands of yard rushing or even what appears to be a massive upset could be glitches that need to be tweaked or they could a confluence of decisions which lead extremely unusual outcomes. College Football has never been a simple equation of paper calculations of sheer talent. If you expected something where there won't be X-factors that you can't see, then you had false expectations lol. I'm on pace to give up 400 yards rushing to a team that I matchup fairly well with(my dline to his Oline). And I'm struggling to rush for anything when I think that I have a good matchup against his Dline. It happens. Its football. 

The devs simply don't owe anyone an answer on every single complain or question unless someone found an obvious glitch/error. Getting upset isn't an error or glitch in and of itself. Even a bad upset. A qb running for thousands of yards could be a glitch, but it also could not be one. And so on. Unusual outcomes happen all the time. The issue which started this thread was the author upset that the Devs haven't changed the game so he can use a player in a way that he expected to. Putting in a ticket over something this was asinine imo. Im hoping that they give us a spread/option/inverted veer offense someday. I'm not going to build that team until they announce it though. If his complaint or refusing to answer him immediately or having unusual outcomes in a system you almost certainly don't see all the factors in rises to the level of a failure by the Devs to create a game "worthy of your time" then you should find a game where the admins/devs respond to one's every demand immediately(spoiler: you won't). 
1/11/2014 1:28 PM (edited)
Posted by johnnyf on 1/11/2014 1:28:00 PM (view original):

While I think that we should get more detailed matchup information(especially post match), the reason why anyone won or loss is in the data we have available. It just may not be super obvious. And situations like the WR with 600 catches or a QB with thousands of yard rushing or even what appears to be a massive upset could be glitches that need to be tweaked or they could a confluence of decisions which lead extremely unusual outcomes. College Football has never been a simple equation of paper calculations of sheer talent. If you expected something where there won't be X-factors that you can't see, then you had false expectations lol. I'm on pace to give up 400 yards rushing to a team that I matchup fairly well with(my dline to his Oline). And I'm struggling to rush for anything when I think that I have a good matchup against his Dline. It happens. Its football. 

The devs simply don't owe anyone an answer on every single complain or question unless someone found an obvious glitch/error. Getting upset isn't an error or glitch in and of itself. Even a bad upset. A qb running for thousands of yards could be a glitch, but it also could not be one. And so on. Unusual outcomes happen all the time. The issue which started this thread was the author upset that the Devs haven't changed the game so he can use a player in a way that he expected to. Putting in a ticket over something this was asinine imo. Im hoping that they give us a spread/option/inverted veer offense someday. I'm not going to build that team until they announce it though. If his complaint or refusing to answer him immediately or having unusual outcomes in a system you almost certainly don't see all the factors in rises to the level of a failure by the Devs to create a game "worthy of your time" then you should find a game where the admins/devs respond to one's every demand immediately(spoiler: you won't). 
"It happens. It's football."

No, it isn't. This is a simulation engine where numbers and algorithms determine the outcome of preset possibilities, and as a non-sentient being it cannot have some of the factors real life has. Your computer players don't get momentum from the last play, they don't band together when it gets tough. They're numbers.

You've only been around for 3 seasons (which, coincidently, means you never played the versions prior to this one). I can assure you that there is room for improvement in this engine, and the customers that pay hundreds of dollars a year to play this game are the ones who are trying to build it. Through beta and before, we were the ones offering suggestions, attempting to understand how the engine works, so we could determine if it is playable. That shouldn't stop just because it's officially out.

The devs don't owe us a response to every question, but they sure as hell owe us some form of communication so that we can find issues and fix them.
1/11/2014 2:35 PM
Posted by caesari on 1/11/2014 2:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by johnnyf on 1/11/2014 1:28:00 PM (view original):

"It happens. It's football."

No, it isn't. This is a simulation engine where numbers and algorithms determine the outcome of preset possibilities, and as a non-sentient being it cannot have some of the factors real life has. Your computer players don't get momentum from the last play, they don't band together when it gets tough. They're numbers.

You've only been around for 3 seasons (which, coincidently, means you never played the versions prior to this one). I can assure you that there is room for improvement in this engine, and the customers that pay hundreds of dollars a year to play this game are the ones who are trying to build it. Through beta and before, we were the ones offering suggestions, attempting to understand how the engine works, so we could determine if it is playable. That shouldn't stop just because it's officially out.

The devs don't owe us a response to every question, but they sure as hell owe us some form of communication so that we can find issues and fix them.
You're assuming that there's factors in the algorithm that you cannot possibly see. Ive won games that Ive had no business winning and vice versa. In my recent game today I got spanked in the first half, didn't make a single change against a SimAI opponent and barely lost when the tables totally turned on my opponent. And to be honest, a game where you can calculate the outcome before it happens is extremely boring and pointless. 

You're right, I haven't played prior versions, but I don't need to have experience to know pointless complaining when I see it. 

Its called the ticket system, no? There's legitimate issues and non-legitimate issues. A legitimate issue is if you play a match and one of the teams scores 120 points in a half(for example). There's something that should be addressed by the Devs there. My commentary isn't about complaints along those lines. A dev should address that. But there's non-legitimate complaints. An example of that is putting in a ticket to demand that they make an engine change for something that you demand or demanding a explanation of why you lost a games(I seem to recall that the Devs have openly said that they don't prioritize tickets like that). But if you put in a ticket about a legitimate issue and don't get a response, its safe to assume that its not a glitch considering that the Devs have posted about fixing glitches when they've been reported. 

This is my last word on the subject. Feel free to continue the discussions with yourselves. 

1/11/2014 2:50 PM
The game engine is "99% done" so they "don't need that feedback" outside of "obvious glitches."
1/11/2014 2:51 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
O R I O L E. I need clarification. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.