One of my recent WIS tickets yielded this gem:

"For the coverage unit it uses the WR depth chart and it determines if there is a fair catch based on the speed of the WR and the hang time of the ball."

So, recruiting the fastest and most elusive WRs will increase the number of fair catches. Nice to know...
1/20/2014 10:14 AM
Do they mean your WR's? It sounds to me like your WR are acting as gunners. Therefore, the faster your WRs the more your opponent will fair catch (assuming your punter doesnt "out kick" the coverage).

Thanks for sharing.
1/20/2014 7:13 PM
That's the way i read it as well Chal..fast WR's force the opponent into more fair catches.
1/20/2014 7:52 PM
I wish we could designate our gunners much like we designate our returner position. I dont think college programs use WR as gunners. Instead, from what i have seen, these are DBs, backup DBs or special team specific players.

I dont recruit speed for my WRs, i want possession. I wouldn't use a slow WR as my gunner given the choice. I would rather designate a fast DB with good tackeling skills for this job.
1/20/2014 7:57 PM
I've got some very speedy WRs....I'll have to check this out.  I've never paid attention before.
1/20/2014 9:52 PM
Posted by scrodz on 1/20/2014 10:14:00 AM (view original):
One of my recent WIS tickets yielded this gem:

"For the coverage unit it uses the WR depth chart and it determines if there is a fair catch based on the speed of the WR and the hang time of the ball."

So, recruiting the fastest and most elusive WRs will increase the number of fair catches. Nice to know...
Which WR depth chart?
And if that particular depth chart isn't filled, where does it go next?
1/20/2014 11:45 PM
This just in from WIS:

"After further investigation the ratings used on the special teams is the average of every player at the position. This way it will get a general cross section of your team's depth.

For punts that is broken up into the Line Blocking, Line pressure, Return Blocking, return execution, return speed, return defense and return tackling.

The Speed determined in the fair catch uses defensive backs and linebackers, not WR. Sorry for the original misinformation."

So, DBs and LBs, not WRs.
1/21/2014 11:27 AM
What? They couldn't have been more wrong originally?

Why don't they just post this for the entire GD community to see.  Who covers a punt shouldn't be shrouded in GD mystery...

1/21/2014 4:07 PM
Amazing that we've never before known who covers a punt. A little communication would go a long way...
1/21/2014 6:00 PM
Thanks Scrodz for sharing this. I think it may be that all do not share these ticket answers. As Chalverson points out above, the developers should share this kind of information with the entire GD community. It appears that players could gain unfair advantage by obtaining inside information via tickets and not sharing..
1/21/2014 7:19 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to steal the thread by changing the subject.
1/21/2014 7:22 PM
I wonder if Wis really knows the answer to your question.  My TE is my returner and he is pretty good in that role.  With a SPD of 79 and an ELUS of 85, faster and Elusive DB's along with LB's with SPD  in the low-mid 70s & ELUS in high 70s-low 80s should be able to contain him.  IDK what determines fair catches, but after two seasons of experimentation, I believe successful returns involve more than SPD, ELUS and IQ. 
1/21/2014 8:38 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.