New Game Analyzer 1.9.3 Topic

Of course, its always better when its your fault...because you will actually FIX things!!!!  LOL  Love you man!!!
2/23/2014 10:24 PM
Posted by yatzr on 2/23/2014 9:49:00 PM (view original):
Found the issue.  Glad to say it's not my fault 
Checkout the defensive lineup on the 2:57 play in the 1st quarter of this game.  There's a phantom LB on the field!
http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/PlayByPlay.aspx?gid=4620819&quarter=1&view=1

I'll let someone else file a ticket for that one.  I'll get my tool updated to try to deal with that.
On the next play there are 2 phantom LBs.

Excellent job Yatzr
2/23/2014 10:57 PM
Got an updated version up on the original post.  It sucks, there's not much I can do about those phantom players.  Right now I just give up parsing the play, so some of the fields will be blank for that case.  It's gotta be pretty rare though.  When I was testing, I was grabbing all the plays from a single day in Yost, and I never ran into it.

I also fixed offensive positions showing up under blitz and DPM.  I added the "Cvr" column as mentioned in the now updated original post.
2/23/2014 11:18 PM
Question:

4668596 1 Middle Tennessee State University Tri 55 Nic 52 5:08 3 8 54 0 Ps PsM 10 OL2   C M CB3,FS,SS 2 N CB2 LB2  

This is the line from one of my exhibition games from Southwest Baptist (team ID 51540). On this play, and a couple others, even though there was a completed pass, It lists the offensive playmaker as "OL2." I have a total of 8 plays from the game that list an OL as the playmaker, all when Middle Tennessee St. had the ball (3 OL2, 4 OL4, 1 OL5). What exactly does that mean?
2/23/2014 11:24 PM
Wait- ... Can someone figure out how the OL2 got thrown to? Is it because they have a receiver named Mitchell as well?

3rd & 8   OFF: Trips    DEF: Nickel
97 QB Richard Mack
87 OL1 Michael Clayton
88 OL2 Christopher Mitchell
88 OL3 James Flores
88 OL4 Marcus Duffy
88 OL5 Michael Tucker
90 TE Anthony Dennis
93 RB William Baker
96 WR1 Greg Mitchell
93 WR2 Joe Delgado
100 WR3 Joshua Anderson
87 DL1 Steve Peck
92 DL2 Andrew Harris
91 DL3 Richard Robinson
89 DL4 Jeff Person
90 LB1 George Taylor
93 LB2 Maurice Curry
94 CB1 Fred Baker
92 CB2 Frank Fleming
94 CB3 John Campbell
93 SS Robert Gomez
94 FS Paul Michel

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. Blitz by Curry. Richard Mack takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defense is starting to get pressure on Mack. The defense has heavy pressure on Mack. Mack throws to Mitchell (Campbell,Michel,Gomez) at the SBS 46 (Medium). Mitchell reaches out to pull in the catch. Fleming gets a hand on Mitchell to bring him down at the SBS 44. 10 yard gain.

2/23/2014 11:27 PM
Greg, it's no tagging INT's correctly if they are preceded by a KnD.  See my game today 4643712

3rd Qtr, 4:49
2nd Qtr, 13:25

Both times they were KnD first then INT.  Pass Status column just shows KnD.

And for me, I can't echo what Chalvorson said enough about you and Bob.  I couldn't play this game without your tools.
2/23/2014 11:30 PM
Posted by caesari on 2/23/2014 11:29:00 PM (view original):
Wait- ... Can someone figure out how the OL2 got thrown to? Is it because they have a receiver named Mitchell as well?

3rd & 8   OFF: Trips    DEF: Nickel
97 QB Richard Mack
87 OL1 Michael Clayton
88 OL2 Christopher Mitchell
88 OL3 James Flores
88 OL4 Marcus Duffy
88 OL5 Michael Tucker
90 TE Anthony Dennis
93 RB William Baker
96 WR1 Greg Mitchell
93 WR2 Joe Delgado
100 WR3 Joshua Anderson
87 DL1 Steve Peck
92 DL2 Andrew Harris
91 DL3 Richard Robinson
89 DL4 Jeff Person
90 LB1 George Taylor
93 LB2 Maurice Curry
94 CB1 Fred Baker
92 CB2 Frank Fleming
94 CB3 John Campbell
93 SS Robert Gomez
94 FS Paul Michel

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. Blitz by Curry. Richard Mack takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defense is starting to get pressure on Mack. The defense has heavy pressure on Mack. Mack throws to Mitchell (Campbell,Michel,Gomez) at the SBS 46 (Medium). Mitchell reaches out to pull in the catch. Fleming gets a hand on Mitchell to bring him down at the SBS 44. 10 yard gain.

That's correct.  The WR and OL having the same last name is the issue there.
2/23/2014 11:31 PM
Posted by caesari on 2/23/2014 11:24:00 PM (view original):
Question:

4668596 1 Middle Tennessee State University Tri 55 Nic 52 5:08 3 8 54 0 Ps PsM 10 OL2   C M CB3,FS,SS 2 N CB2 LB2  

This is the line from one of my exhibition games from Southwest Baptist (team ID 51540). On this play, and a couple others, even though there was a completed pass, It lists the offensive playmaker as "OL2." I have a total of 8 plays from the game that list an OL as the playmaker, all when Middle Tennessee St. had the ball (3 OL2, 4 OL4, 1 OL5). What exactly does that mean?
*sigh*..yea it's cause the OL and WR have the same last name.  I really wish they'd just use full names in the pbp.  I'll probably have to just assume that an OL would never show up in the pbp, but that doesn't stop me from being wrong if two non OL have the same last name, or if any two defense players have the same last name.
2/23/2014 11:38 PM
Posted by jtd79 on 2/23/2014 11:30:00 PM (view original):
Greg, it's no tagging INT's correctly if they are preceded by a KnD.  See my game today 4643712

And for me, I can't echo what Chalvorson said enough about you and Bob.  I couldn't play this game without your tools.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

That kinda seems like a bug on WIS's part.  Doesn't make sense to me to say that a player knocks the ball down and then ends up with an interception.  If you look at the correctly labeled INTs, there's a line specifically about somebody intercepting it and then where they get tackled.  In any case, I'll update it to be labeled an interception.
2/23/2014 11:43 PM (edited)
Posted by yatzr on 2/23/2014 9:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by harriswb3 on 2/23/2014 8:02:00 PM (view original):
trying to download the entire season of PBP for season 84 Heisman Georgia Southern...and it keeps "hanging up" with 7 games remaining.  
What's the team id?  I'll check it out.  It's possible there's some super rare pbp string that's messing up the tool.

"What about sacks?"
I do keep track of sacks, but I didn't think it was worthy of its own column.  They're still fairly easy to spot.  Any play where the offense was a pass, the playmaker was the QB, and there's a defensive playmaker.

"The small v."
I knew someone was gonna spot that!  It's that way cause WIS left it lower case in the pbp, and I was too lazy to code in the special case.  I may get around to it later.

"BdT" only includes overthrows and underthrows.  The out of bounds throw probably results in no pass status right now.  I should be able to add that in though.

"pull in fatigue"
The tool actually already pulls in fatigue.  You can see it when you mouse over the defense formation or the offense formation.  I might add in a column for average fatigue for both offense and defense, but no more than that.  I do plan on including a real excel export feature that would include the full breakdown.

Thanks for the feedback.  Keep them coming!
Yatzr, about sacks and scrambles, I agree they are easy to spot, but in terms of excel analysis if we have a single identifier (i.e. "Sac" and "Scr") it greatly simplifies the COUNTIFS or SUMIFS formulas.  It means we only have 1 single identifier. If it is easy to add "Sac" and "Scr" to that column with pass results, that would be very, very helpful.

Next, and this is more of a topic for conversation, I believe there is important information to be gained by looking at how far into the QBs progression the QB goes.  What I mean is, we see the QB looking at 1 receiver, then a 2nd receiver and sometimes a 3rd receiver before making a throw.  I think, it tells us a bit about the QB GI.  Just noodle on this, but can we add a pass progression column easily?  Do you think that information is impactful?

Next, also a bit pie-in-the-sky, but I recall a developer chat which stated that the PBP comments on the pass thrown would tell us if the QB threw a bad pass, the receiver made the catch based upon his ability or the defender made the play (which we already have that with the "KnD" identifier). I guess if we can identify the phrases which ID if the receiver was the reason for the completed pass and the phrases which means the QB threw a bad pass, then we could likely come up with a column that shows us the reason for the pass out come.  Just a thought.
2/24/2014 7:23 AM
I'll try out adding additional columns for sack and scramble and see what it looks like.  I'll probably change the RO column to show an asterisk or something instead of the N/Y.  I'm not a fan of a column full of mostly N.

My idea for the "how many receivers did he look at?" column was to just show the number of receivers looked at (not sure if I want to include the one he threw to...I think probably yes), and then when you mouse over that number, I'd have the tooltip show an actual breakdown of who was looked at, where they were, how well they were covered, how much pressure was on the qb, etc.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the receiver making a good catch.  Here are the possible lines in the pbp regarding a player catching the ball.
"Player makes the catch"
"Player makes the diving catch and is down" - probably receiver skill
"Player pulls in the catch" - not sure...I think it's probably not receiver skill
"Player reaches out to pull in the catch" - probably receiver skill
"Player reaches up to pull in the catch" - probably receiver skill
"Player catches in a nice pass"

It would be very easy to show a different pass status or have a separate flag for the ones where we believe it was the receiver's skill.

2/24/2014 9:33 AM
yatzr:  It appears to me that one of the biggest impacts from this tool is to more clearly identify where WIS has some issues!!

I love the tool, but would suggest that you just be careful and not put any "band aids" on anything that is a WIS problem.  I'd rather have your tool show exactly what WIS provides, so that we can give WIS the proper feedback and put some pressure on them to fix the items.

I hope that made sense....not enough coffee in me at this point in the morning!!
2/24/2014 9:51 AM
Posted by jtd79 on 2/23/2014 11:30:00 PM (view original):

lol, I just realized that WIS is counting those as both a knockdown and an int.  If you look at the summary for that game, there were 13 PDs and 3 INTs, but then if you look in the game analyzer, there were only 14 plays that resulted in a knockdown or int.  Those two plays got counted as both a knockdown and an int.
2/24/2014 9:56 AM
Yes yes yes. We need so much data on results and this is a great way to start judging your team properly. Thanks so much!
2/24/2014 12:16 PM
Posted by yatzr on 2/24/2014 9:33:00 AM (view original):
I'll try out adding additional columns for sack and scramble and see what it looks like.  I'll probably change the RO column to show an asterisk or something instead of the N/Y.  I'm not a fan of a column full of mostly N.

My idea for the "how many receivers did he look at?" column was to just show the number of receivers looked at (not sure if I want to include the one he threw to...I think probably yes), and then when you mouse over that number, I'd have the tooltip show an actual breakdown of who was looked at, where they were, how well they were covered, how much pressure was on the qb, etc.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the receiver making a good catch.  Here are the possible lines in the pbp regarding a player catching the ball.
"Player makes the catch"
"Player makes the diving catch and is down" - probably receiver skill
"Player pulls in the catch" - not sure...I think it's probably not receiver skill
"Player reaches out to pull in the catch" - probably receiver skill
"Player reaches up to pull in the catch" - probably receiver skill
"Player catches in a nice pass"

It would be very easy to show a different pass status or have a separate flag for the ones where we believe it was the receiver's skill.

Y, perhaps we can have a user defined area where we add text and associate a numeric value.  Exactly like the "Potentials" work in the recruiting analyzer. So we can develop phrases for receiver catches and assign a value of "1" or a text value of "R".  We could then assign numbers of text for the others.

Please leave the N/Y for Rollout.  I dont think using an * works for excel IF functions.  I know this is me being selfish, but if its just window dressing I vote for leaving Y/N.

2/25/2014 3:02 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
New Game Analyzer 1.9.3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.